Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pitt!

Could be worse-- but could be better.

Thank goodness for the 6 seed-- and no crazy dangerous matchup with Zona or Kentucky...

#6 Seed against VCU

Wow! A 6 seed!

And the 3 seed is Pitt? I'll take it.

Let the fun begin!

agreed

I'll take it!

Venue..

Could anyone say where are we playing ? Thx.

sorry

buffalo,ny

When is the first round game? or have they said yet? Game day/time etc,. ?

I'm happy with it

Not the worst matchups, nor the best.

We CAN'T overlook VCU, They are a decent team and athletic. Could cause some matchup problems but I think Duke wins by 10 or so.

Pitt should be a interesting game, but cant overlook VCU so I wont comment on this any further.

Billy Thacker just said that VCU will be a dangerous challange for us!

well?

Billy Thacker

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post

well?
    Billy Thacker! Bwahahahaha! Jim Thacker, Billy Packer's old partner back in the 70s on ACC broadcasts, appreciates you remembering him, even though he is long gone.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Regardless of the pairings, I'm happy to see Duke get a 6 seed. Historically, 7 seeds (where I thought Duke would be) have won less than half their first-round games.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Regardless of the pairings, I'm happy to see Duke get a 6 seed. Historically, 7 seeds (where I thought Duke would be) have won less than half their first-round games.
    that isn't true. 7 seeds have won 60% of the time in the 1st round.

Bwahahahahaha!

OK got me - but he can't get names right either

This may be an overreaction because in high school I lived 2 miles from vcu, but they are a dangerous first round matchup. If we don't come to play, we are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post

well?
    It is Billy Packer. Jim Thacker was his broadcast partner before Billy went national with CBS. This was back in the days of Pilot Life sponsoring the ACC Game of the Week. I know I'm nitpicking, but...

Bob Green
    (Yokosuka, Japan)

i think he was kidding

just being a pain in the *** about how bad packer is but still nice to know about that, i didnt know who the play by play was back then

This is interesting... I thought that the Billy "Thacker" was deliberate... kinda like all of the Hans, Hansbro, Hansblablah, etc stuff. Obviously, Jim Thacker was broadcasting well before I remember watching ACC hoops...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    This is interesting... I thought that the Billy "Thacker" was deliberate... kinda like all of the Hans, Hansbro, Hansblablah, etc stuff. Obviously, Jim Thacker was broadcasting well before I remember watching ACC hoops...
    You forgot Hansbra.

It's a solid matchup. It could be better, but it could be worse. VCU is small and shoots 3s. They aren't going to beat us on the boards. We historically defend the 3 well, so that helps.

That said, they do have a very talented PG, and they have 3 gifted guards (and 5 good outside shooters). But they won't likely be able to make Paulus pay with a mismatch, because all of their guards are small. And they don't have an interior presence to put pressure on McRoberts. And if they press, you'll see a lot of McRoberts with the ball, which is a good thing.

If we get to play Pitt, that's again not a terrible matchup. They like to muck it up, and they don't have a take-over-the-game type of player. Gray is good, but can be defended. Their backcourt isn't overwhelming.

Again, we could easily lose and lose badly to either team. But as matchups go, this isn't a bad set of opponents. For example, I wouldn't want Stanford/Texas A&M, or Winthrop/Oregon.

well, I remember...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Those were the days--Jim Thacker, Billy Packer, and Bones McKinney... I miss them!

Sail with the Pilot! Holly Farms Chicken!

20. Random Thoughts

- I like our bracket. Should Duke advance, they wouldn't have to face a one-seed in order to advance to the Elite Eight. Two of the teams (Indiana And Gonz) we've already beaten this year. In Buffalo, we may have more fans than people think.
    - Duke will have had a full week of rest and time to refocus. Hopefully, this will give them an extra bounce in their step.
    - Duke was quite successful earlier in the year against non-conference teams. It will be refreshing to see Duke again play out-of-conference teams.
    - Three positives to end the regular season, which together, may prove to be significant in the tourney: Henderson was having the best games of his season, Pocious (sp?) proved to be a scorer, McRoberts was a true center, a man possessed during the last 14 minutes of the State game.