Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    VCU is very good. I'll give you guys a good scouting report on them later -- I know them pretty well.
    Still, we have to be thrilled with this seed. We can lose any game. But we have a reasonable chance to beat any of the teams in our way. That's all I want.
    Jumbo, You said it best. I wish Wisconsin was our 2-Seed and Wazoo was our 3-Seed. I could give a good scouting report on Wazoo since I have many friends that attend and go to every game.

But i cant complain, Very happy with the draw!

Billy Thacker just said that VCU will be a dangerous challange for us!

well?

Quote Originally Posted by drion97 View Post
    Dang-- a shame our 3rd seed isn't Washington State.

Nice to see us above BC-- out of conference sched worked for us.

UNC-Texas in sweet 16? awesome.

This has to be the first time Duke and Vanderbelt have ever been the same seed, huh?

K REALLY worked the system with the OOC schedule this year. Even though it helped us big time, I'm not happy about it in the grand scheme of things.

I, too, think the unc-texas matchup will happen (though I'll always hold out hope that unc will faceplant vs. the 16 seed). That would be a real marquee matcup, for sure.

Vanderbilt was a 2 with McCaffrey in 93 when we were a 3. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    K REALLY worked the system with the OOC schedule this year. Even though it helped us big time, I'm not happy about it in the grand scheme of things.

umm, what exactly does this mean?

a) it helped us big time
    b) but, you're not happy about it

please explain -- you'd rather us do things that don't help us? or you'd rather see us play sh!tty opponents early in the season?

Talking I am very happy

No easy games when you are a 6 seed, but I am thrilled with our first weekend possibilities! With improved defense and good shooting, we'll make it to the Sweet 16. UCLA as a potential opponent in that game presents a challenge, but one that can be met.

That we didn't get a killer game for our second round (not taking VCU for granted here, but I certainly expect us to beat them) is very surprising to me. The "committee" didn't screw us for a change!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Anyone know what time we play? Most likely the late game since it seems we always are.

I think we got a decent draw, but maybe the toughest overall region. We already beat Mason who is from VCU's conference so we have somewhat a measuring stick and should be able to handle VCU. I don't know much about Pitt, but as long as we are facing teams without a great backcourt, we could go far. It all depends on which Duke team shows up though so I don't even want to make any predictions. First two games in Buffalo which isn't bad and maybe Paulus will come out extra motivated since he is from upstate NY. Not so great to have to go out West if we advance past that, but I'll take it.

Is the Thursday game in Buffalo an afternoon or evening game? (Trying to scrounge for some tickets)

DH

Billy Thacker

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Billy Thacker just said that VCU will be a dangerous challange for us!

well?
    Billy Thacker! Bwahahahaha! Jim Thacker, Billy Packer's old partner back in the 70s on ACC broadcasts, appreciates you remembering him, even though he is long gone.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Regardless of the pairings, I'm happy to see Duke get a 6 seed. Historically, 7 seeds (where I thought Duke would be) have won less than half their first-round games.

One more good thing about the bracket: it's UNC who has to deal with Kevin Durant potentially in the sweet 16!

Tough Game

We will have a tough game no matter who we play. We are certainly not a great team. We are probably somewhere between a very good team and just a good team with the scale tipping more to Duke being just a good team.

I do not think that anyone would be surprised if we lose our first game. That is not to say that Duke cannot go further...Here's hoping that we do !!!

How long has it been since entering the tournament that we would be happy just to make the Sweet 16 ?

Took a quick look at VCU stats

and they have 3 guys that shoot above 40% from 3 point range. Looks like it could be a toughy if our perimeter D doesn't show up.

It's been a while. HOWEVER, it's also been a long time that we've been a "sleeper" while everyone is counting us out of contention.

Quote Originally Posted by hayesdt View Post
    Is the Thursday game in Buffalo an afternoon or evening game? (Trying to scrounge for some tickets)

DH
    Times are usually announced Monday.

if we cant be vcu then i will be glad the season will be over

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    if we cant be vcu then i will be glad the season will be over
    Why do you even post that? Seriously? VCU isnt a horrible team, Not great. If we lose i will be sad the season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Regardless of the pairings, I'm happy to see Duke get a 6 seed. Historically, 7 seeds (where I thought Duke would be) have won less than half their first-round games.
    that isn't true. 7 seeds have won 60% of the time in the 1st round.

sure, i'll explain

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    umm, what exactly does this mean?

a) it helped us big time
    b) but, you're not happy about it

please explain -- you'd rather us do things that don't help us? or you'd rather see us play sh!tty opponents early in the season?
    1. I'm always happy when things work out for duke. I'm a huge fan and always want us to win no matter what, so this isn't some secret wish for us to lose. On the contrary, I want us to win as much as possible...

2. Which is why I DO NOT like the scheduling we did OOC this year. K, as he has done routinely in the recent past, played a weak OOC schedule relative to the ones he used to play in the 90s; however, he made sure it would still benefit us on selection Sunday by making sure we teams that were very strong within their much seaker conferences. And all at Cameron or on neutral courts, too. No real road games. Now, on selection sunday, this is great strategy. You beat those teams in your own building then they go back and dominate their lower-tier conferences and your RPI soars because of your opponents' winning percentages. Where is hurts you, however, is in the development of your team during the season. After several games against a depleted George Mason, Kent State and a bunch of other "mid-majors," right in nice, comfy CIS, this team was not prepared to go on the road and play in the ACC. One need only look at how we performed on the road in the first half of conference play this year to confirm this. Our first ACC road game was a 74-63 (i think) loss to Georgia Tech.

You cannot prepare for the rigors of the toughest conference in the nation by staying out of opponents' gyms all the way through the month of december and playing teams that you will out-talent every single year. This team was the youngest K has ever had. It needed to get a couple of doses of reality early. Instead those wake-up calls didn't come until conference play and our conference record is not as good as it could be IMO, for that reason, IMO.

So K's scheduling strategy did what it was designed to do. We were 4-6 down the stretch yet still managed to get a 6 seed, a dream of a draw on paper, AND get sent to Buffalo where we will actually have some fans. Now we'll see how well the team is prepared to take advantage of this design.

I realize that almost everything above is my opinion, not fact. I strongly feel that K's scheduling philosophy has changed over the years, and not for the better. I believe in tough scheduling and am quite dismayed at the way K has gotten away from it over the years, preferring instead to put together a schedule that will provide maximum rpi points for minimum effort. If a team is deep, experienced and loaded it doesn't really matter all that much. But in a year like this, when there really was no time to waste in the development of this incredibly young team, this was a serious mistake, IMO, and has cost us.

I would be absolutely thrilled to the point of ecstacy if I can come on here in 3 weeks and gush about how incredibly wrong I was about this.

I agree for a change we didn't get screwed by the committee. I think we got a fair opening round game with a decent chance in the 2nd round game. But let's not get caught looking ahead. As Coach say Next play and that is VCU. Let's work on preparing for that game and take care of business before we even start thinking about the 2nd round game. Sounds like our 3 guards will need to put on their defensive caps and lace up their shoes tight and come prepared to play some tough D. I believe the key for us will be Defense and we'll need to make a very strong Defensive showing in this game. Good Luck guys and let's get to work on preparing for our opening round game!!

ehdg

Given how the team has lost recently...

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    They sure looked excited to play us. We don't have the worst draw, but it ain't gonna be a cake walk either.
    Hi,

I think there is a perception, with some merit, that Duke is weak and vulnerable. So, a team is happy to see us on their line. However, the ACC was the number one ranked conference in the nation for a reason and the Devils have done well against non-ACC foes.

I think this could be just what the Dr. ordered. However, I seem to remember hearing they have quick, athletic guards. I am not sure they have faced the kind of defense Duke can play. I think it boils down to this--if Duke comes ready to play they can make some noise in this draw (I am believing that more and more), however, if they sleep walk through it, it will be an early exit.

I have confidence in Coach K. Don't forget, the team will be rested too. We are a caged, hurt, angry animal ready to let loose. I hope that at least.

GO DUKE!