1/06 5:30 Cornell Durham, NC FSN
    1/09 7:00 Temple Philadelphia, PA
    1/13 8:00 Virginia Durham, NC FSN
    1/16 7:00 Florida State Tallahassee, FL ESPN
    1/19 6:00 Clemson Durham, NC ESPN
    1/24 7:00 Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA ESPN
    1/27 6:30 Maryland College Park, MD FSN
    1/31 9:00 N.C. State Durham, NC RLF

Won't we be at least 6 point favorites in every one of these games?

If we are 19-1 going into the UNC game (our first game in Feb. is against Miami), could it be #1 vs. #2?

Yes I know this is looking way ahead, but I think there is a good chance we will be ranked very high going into February and I think we need a dose of optimism here.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

If we are 19-1 going into the UNC game (our first game in Feb. is against Miami), could it be #1 vs. #2?

Yes I know this is looking way ahead, but I think there is a good chance we will be ranked very high going into February and I think we need a dose of optimism here.
    Whew, I hope we can win all those games, but that is a huge if.

Remember, we have yet to play a true road game. There are 4 road games in that 7 game stretch! If we go undefeated in Jan. I will be surprised.

I hope I dont' sound to negative, it's just that we are still learning and that is a pretty tall order.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I'll take 6-2 or 7-1 and be happy. This is a young team, going to Md, VT and F$U. We have some quick turn-arounds as well.

I actually suspect that there is very little chance of us in the top 3 unless other top teams lose several games. Even though this game should be looked at as "they were almost 11-0" I think people are going to say "They failed their one big test against a solid top 10 team" and use that to hold us out of the top spots. Ignoring of course the Wisconsin and Marquette wins. This would only change if some of the teams we play up to that point move into the top 25 before we play them (possible for some of the ACC teams).

I'm not saying thats how it should go, but that seems to be how the people that do the polls seem to think this way. Incidentally, I don't care about rankings much (my bragging when we're ranked might indicate otherwise, but thats just for fun). Either way, I'm looking forward to that game, whatever our record is.
    GTHCGTH

Yeah

mr. synellinden, as stated in another post I am a pessimist, and I hadn't looked ahead to the January schedule, thank you for posting it. But even as a pessimist I'd have to say not only CAN Duke win all their January games they SHOULD win all their January games. (Happy birthday for me on the 29th, going to the game AT Maryland! Anybody who prays, please pray for my safe return!) The toughest games are in Durham (how many times to you think we're going to hear Duke favoritism with scheduling all January long.) and Duke IS playing as well as anyone in the ACC right now. Unfortunately the pessimist in me knows February has a brick wall dated the 6th on it. But hey let's agree to hope Duke gets so much momentum from January they crash through that brick wall and keep on going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One question, that #1 vs #2....you do mean in the ACC right? I mean you don't seriously think #'s 2-12 are all going to lose between now and February 6th and Duke will be #2? Then again it will be interesting to see if Duke drops any at all (and if so how much.) after losing to a top 10 team by 1 in over time.

And since you got the schedule out where are the Miami and UNC games being played? If memory serves me correctly I remember Hansblahblah bleeding on light blue floor the second game last year so I'm thinking that means Chapel Hill again.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Schedule

That schedule for January does look pretty manageable. At this point the Clemson game looks to be the hardest. Does anybody know if Mays will be back by then?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'll take 6-2 or 7-1 and be happy. This is a young team, going to Md, VT and F$U. We have some quick turn-arounds as well.
    Those 3 teams are all pretty weak though, I actually think FSU will be the hardest test out of those. I'd worry about Clemson and NC State more than any of those 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    Those 3 teams are all pretty weak though, I actually think FSU will be the hardest test out of those. I'd worry about Clemson and NC State more than any of those 3.

^ Those certainly are not givens, either.

And while I agree that those teams are all "down" their fans will not be. This team has not played in a very hostile place yet, and it takes experience to pull it together down the stretch when the home team gets momentum and the fans start rocking. Although I've gotta say it doesn't look like Singler or King will get too rattled. . . .

Yeah, but they sure are learning that EVERY team Duke faces brings it hard and fierce. It's always the biggest game on the other team's schedule.

state and clem

that could be a undefeated january

But, FSU on the road will be veryy tough, FSU has always played tough vs. Duke at home.

Clemson will be a really tough home game as well.

An watch out, because NC State is a very good team and u can find out by watching the Davidson game tonight!

I'm sorry, I don't see Duke getting out of January unscathed. They'll be lucky to get out of the first 3 ACC games unscathed, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley2Hill View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't see Duke getting out of January unscathed. They'll be lucky to get out of the first 3 ACC games unscathed, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It is 0328 EST right now and as soon as the first 16-0 vote is cast, I'll know that Ozzie is awake.

As for me, I voted 13-3. We split with Carolina and lose a couple of road games we should've won. But undefeated at home is a real possibility this season.
    Before the season started, I predicted 13-3. My opinion hasn't changed and one of those three losses will probably happen during January. If we are 17-2 on February 1, 2008, I will not be disappointed.
    Bob Green

This time last year a pair of wins over Maryland seemed likely. We know how that turned out.

Running the table in January is doable but I sure wouldn't bet the mortgage.

Hopefully the team will take full advantage of the longest holiday break I can remember. No games from Dec. 20-Jan. 6? Usually there are a couple gimmes scattered around the new year. I actually like that the team gets more than two weeks to "get over" the loss, and by get over I'm hoping it means get really pissed and come out on a mission the rest of the season.

January is a great time to exorcise some demons. The three true road games (Temple game at Wachovia) are at places Duke has sturggled at lately: Tallahassee, Blacksburg, and College Park. They are against teams Duke should beat, but will be good wins regardless. The home slate provides better competition (aside from Cornell) and Temple at a neutral site shouldn't be any trouble.

This is a good set up for February. Some tough teams at home and beatable teams in tough environments. Perfect way to get ready to beat unc.

BTW, my answer is yes, Duke can run the table in January. I have a bad feeling the Devils will drop a road game, but they really should go 9-0 if they learned anything from Thursday night.

Absolutely!!!

No question... After Pitt, we are ready to face the music. We'll be tough.
    K will have the players watch the Pitt tape; and, I hope, the other contenders....Memphis, Georgetown, etc. (I leave out UNC because I think they play an Elementary School next...)

Well, we did. And we are ranked #2 in the country, unbelievable as it may have seemed to some in December. It seems like a good time to reflect back a bit and realize how lucky we are to root for the Duke basketball program and have our team coached by the best coach in the country. As stated on the front page a few days ago, it's already been a remarkable season. But it's only half over and I have a feeling there's even better to come. Hopefully, starting on Wednesday night. GTHC GTH!
    Singler is IRON

Nice call. And it wasn't an easy call, because some of those games were historically difficult for us. I just hope we're not peaking.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Nice call. And it wasn't an easy call, because some of those games were historically difficult for us. I just hope we're not peaking.
    Funny, I was talking to a friend today who is a huge UCLA fan and he expressed the same fear about the Bruins. I think it's just a natural pessimism as a sports fan to be afraid of the worst. Certainly, the Patriots season shows that it is possible to peak too early, but you always have to root for your team to play it's best.

I have faith in Coach K that he will get the team prepared to play its best basketball in April. Yes. April.
    Singler is IRON

Well, we did. And we are ranked #2 in the country, unbelievable as it may have seemed to some in December. It seems like a good time to reflect back a bit and realize how lucky we are to root for the Duke basketball program and have our team coached by the best coach in the country. As stated on the front page a few days ago, it's already been a remarkable season. But it's only half over and I have a feeling there's even better to come. Hopefully, starting on Wednesday night. GTHC GTH!
    It was almost eerie reading your post. I want to compliment you on not posting an I told you so. I'm glad you brought this post back up because it's really a way to see how far the team has come in the last month. And by that I mean that a month ago I saw us as a top 10 team that needed to improve to become a top 5 team. Now I see us as a team that has improved and is a top 5 team. I thought we could make those improvements and I'm pretty geeked to see that we have.

Now, will you do me a favor and predict a national championship for the Blue Devils?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    It was almost eerie reading your post. I want to compliment you on not posting an I told you so. I'm glad you brought this post back up because it's really a way to see how far the team has come in the last month. And by that I mean that a month ago I saw us as a top 10 team that needed to improve to become a top 5 team. Now I see us as a team that has improved and is a top 5 team. I thought we could make those improvements and I'm pretty geeked to see that we have.

Now, will you do me a favor and predict a national championship for the Blue Devils?
    Thank you.

I won't be that bold but call Plaxico Burress - he might.
    Singler is IRON