UNC football players kidnapped, robbed and sexually assaulted - strange

This is a little hard for me to follow:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2201154/
    ~rthomas

Wow, that's just utterly terrible.

I'm not trying to make light of this because what happened was pretty disgusting; just wrong on every level.

However, I find it a little humorous that for all the crap that is aimed at Duke's female students (i.e. ugly cheerleaders, etc.), a group of unc athletes willingly took home two absolute hosebeasts, and were ready for action until it got ugly (no pun intended).

How the... But what... it's... I don't think I can truly express how hilarious this situation is without getting banned...

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    This is a little hard for me to follow:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2201154/
    Especially the part where all the perps were on scene when the cops got there. Who called the cops?

Sorry to disagree with some but this is not funny. Men can and do get raped and it is just as much a personal violation as when it happens to a woman.

I fully understand the impulse to denigrate the victim so as to insulate oneself from realizing that we are all (even physically strong males) potentially vulnerable. UNC or not, assuming the linked story correctly details what happened, this is a terrible, criminal occurence and these young men should receive support and sympathy as far as I'm concerned. Seriously, I hate the holes as much as anyone but it definitely doesn't extend to this.

I hope these young men receive the physical/psychological/spiritual support that every victim of sexual violence deserves.

I apologize for any pop psychologizing and I do not mean to come off in any way as holier than thou. In any event, I hope these young men are able to shield their identities as our culture is prone to stigmatizing and blaming rape victims, let alone when they are football players.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Too bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Sorry to disagree with some but this is not funny. Men can and do get raped and it is just as much a personal violation as when it happens to a woman.

I fully understand the impulse to denigrate the victim so as to insulate oneself from realizing that we are all (even physically strong males) potentially vulnerable. UNC or not, assuming the linked story correctly details what happened, this is a terrible, criminal occurence and these young men should receive support and sympathy as far as I'm concerned. Seriously, I hate the holes as much as anyone but it definitely doesn't extend to this.

I hope these young men receive the physical/psychological/spiritual support that every victim of sexual violence deserves.

I apologize for any pop psychologizing and I do not mean to come off in any way as holier than thou. In any event, I hope these young men are able to shield their identities as our culture is prone to stigmatizing and blaming rape victims, let alone when they are football players.

amen

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    amen
    I agree with both of you. And to those who think this is funny, well I just don't know how to respond other than I'm saddened anyone would respond in such a way.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims. I do hope their names are kept out of the press as they are in high profile positions and that could be like pouring salt on an open wound.

Agreed

Absolutely. This isn't funny simply because it involves UNC athletes. What a terrible situation.

ungh

Wow. Biting my tongue so hard, it's bleeding...

I heard from some UNC folks that there is more to this story to come. Sounds like not much fun.

I'm with langdonfan, ikiru36, TillyGalore, DukeUsul; not funny, serious crime. How many of us would be chuckling if Paulus' brother -- also, a UNC-CH football player -- were one of the victims?

So odd

First, let me say that I TOTALLY agree that men can and do get raped. A very good friend of mine had something along this line happen to him: had broken up w/long time GF, decided to go to her place to get some of his stuff back. She slipped him a roofie (sp?). Tried to have sex to try and get pregnant and force him to do something about it. Very sad situation.

However, just like the Duke Lax situation, something smells really fishy. I don't want to overanalyze or anything, but how do 3 FB players get strapped down by only 1 man w/a knife? At some point, while the man is holding the knife and the two women were tying the 1 FB player down, the other 2 were free to do something, like run from the apt., call police or attack the man... or am I missing something? Only 1 person had a knife.

Also, if the neighbor heard people being slammed against a wall, and then cries of HELP, HELP, HELP from a man, why didn't he call police when that was going on?

My comment is in NO WAY against the UNC program, and I hope that my comments aren't interpreted as such. I wouldn't wish something like this on anyone. But, it just seems very, very odd. I guess time will tell

Yeah, there just HAS to be more to this story.

The last line of the article says it all.

I'm sure there is more to this. Per the article the prosecutor hasn't even received the report from the police on the third victim.

I swear I remember reading the neighbor did call the police when he heard the cries for help. Perhaps when the story was updated WRAL left out that little detail.

I am awaiting the rest of the story.