Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

seeding conspiracies

while featherson argues that there are so many stories and threads that the committe cannot avoid "interesting" early matchups, i am willing to prognosticate the following:

unc will have the easiest path to the final four.

Duke will have the most difficult early rounds of the middle seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    while featherson argues that there are so many stories and threads that the committe cannot avoid "interesting" early matchups, i am willing to prognosticate the following:

unc will have the easiest path to the final four.

Duke will have the most difficult early rounds of the middle seeds.
    you know that we are getting kentucky, arizona, texas tech or syracuse for maximum tv ratings.

i would not be surprised to draw marquette.

Looks like the opposite happened. We got about the best we could hope for. Not easy, but we should have a good chance for the sweet 16 if we play well.

UNC has a tough 8/9 group and UT in the sweet 16.

the haters will b**** long and loud about our draw

This is a dream bracket for Duke. Both our first and potential 2nd round matchups are, on paper anyway, weak siblings -- And this for a 6 seed! And what the heck are we doing seeded that high anyway?

If we advance and play Pitt in the 2nd round, I guarantee we will actually be favored.

Really tough 2nd round for UNC

and Texas in the Sweet 16. Wow!!

yeah, so much for my prognosticating abilities. unc with the toughest draw. i think i might visit IC and see how the holes are taking it!!

Grossbus: Please Report Back

I don't want to have to go over there and wade through their BS.

Thanks in advance.

We are really playing ourselves

We had the ideal position in the ACCs. Everyone I hoped to avoid except Georgia Tech was on the otherside of the bracket. If we had brought some game, we might have been playing today in the championship game. It's not about who we are playing in the NCAAs, it is about who we are and whether we can arrive Thursday as a mentally tough team.
    GTHC

Certainly we must come to play. We gotta show up to beat VCU, but if we lose to VCU, well, let's just consider me more than disappointed -- youth or not. VCU can certainly beat us, but we have no business losing to them.

If we show up, play decent, and beat VCU like we SHOULD, then assuming Pitt makes it through, they'll certainly be favored, but I'd love to see Z gets some minutes against Gray. Pitt also has similar scoring problems, so it would be an ugly game but if one of our guys gets hot, I think we have a shot. More so than the other 3 seeds (except maybe Wazzu).

We'll see. I'm pretty optimistic against VCU -- of course we have to play well to win, though. Pitt is just a game that I think if we play well, we have a shot. If we make it to the sweet 16 with our 6 seed, it's gravy.

as bad as we stunk it up at the end of the season, if we take care of business against vcu and beat a very soft pitt team to get to the sweet 16, i don't think anyone should have anything to complain about regarding this season.

Those of you who live in tar heel country, ask a curalonna fan tomorrow if he'd prefer to switch draws with us. I'll bet you don't get a single no.

Relative to seed (1 vs 6), UNC might've gotten a tougher draw. But I doubt they'd trade the path of 16seed-->Marq/MSU-->Texas-->G'town for VCU-->Pittsburgh-->UCLA-->Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Relative to seed (1 vs 6), UNC might've gotten a tougher draw. But I doubt they'd trade the path of 16seed-->Marq/MSU-->Texas-->G'town for VCU-->Pittsburgh-->UCLA-->Kansas
    Agreed. The difference in value for being a #1 seed to a #6 seed is huge. There's just no way they'd rather face our path. I mean, we have to face two of the top 5 teams in the country, and then STILL face another top 15 team. We got a good draw for a #6 seed, but it's always good to be #1.

IC awash with threads complaining about their plight. at least three threads complaining about Duke's seeding and path. and one cheering for VCU.

Nyah nyah nyah. They got stuck with this year's Four Seed of Death. Usually we're the one who has to endure that privilege (which occasionally manifests itself as a Five Seed of Death).

Interesting factoid about our record

We ended up with 7 wins versus teams that made the Tournament this year (BC twice, GTech, Holy Cross, Gonzaga, Georgetown, & Indiana). However, all of those teams save Georgetown are seeded 7th or lower. So I'd say they got our seed about right.

We also lucked up in that there are two teams in our half of the West that we have already beaten once this year (Indiana & Gonzaga).

Still, a first round loss would be a big disappointment, and a second round win would be a nice surprise.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    We ended up with 7 wins versus teams that made the Tournament this year (BC twice, GTech, Holy Cross, Gonzaga, Georgetown, & Indiana). However, all of those teams save Georgetown are seeded 7th or lower. So I'd say they got our seed about right.

We also lucked up in that there are two teams in our half of the West that we have already beaten once this year (Indiana & Gonzaga).

Still, a first round loss would be a big disappointment, and a second round win would be a nice surprise.
    you left off davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    IC awash with threads complaining about their plight. at least three threads complaining about Duke's seeding and path. and one cheering for VCU.
    That's a very low number of Duke threads at a given time.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think that even if Duke's path is overall tougher to the Final Four, remember that a Sweet 16 appearance *this year* for Duke was thought to be a good season. Given that, I would say that Duke's path at towards a Sweet 16 appearance is as good as anyone expected.