Page 784 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 28468473477478278378478578679483488412841784 ... LastLast
Results 15,661 to 15,680 of 67406
    Hate power failures, especially in winter. I grew up with well water, with the power problems it brings...

Snow here is just winding down. Maybe a couple inches. Mostly slush on the roads - no sledding.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Power just came back up over here in VA. 1.5 days out. Supremely annoying since we're well water, etc.

Y'know they come around every summer to trim trees/limbs and it never changes the outages in winter.

Country living stinks.
    Do you have a portable generator? If not, you might look into installing one. It would give you some power (to run the pump and the heater) when you needed it.

I wish we had a generator! We've priced them but it's rather impressive cost-wise. We've got an older house, fairly big, two heating/cooling systems, two well pumps. Propane fuel. Generator is doable but we need to save some big buck, beginning around 6-7K.

Whining and belly-aching is a lot cheaper

We got about 10 inches of snow over the weekend and now it's decided to turn to ice. It was 65 degrees and sunny last Wednesday. Indiana weather at it's finest.

I wish we had a generator! We've priced them but it's rather impressive cost-wise. We've got an older house, fairly big, two heating/cooling systems, two well pumps. Propane fuel. Generator is doable but we need to save some big buck, beginning around 6-7K.

Whining and belly-aching is a lot cheaper
    I think about 10-15% of folks in my town have generators these days. Pepco had been awful over the years. But they do seem to be trying - we did well with the ice storm.

The cost is high. It would take a whole bunch of lost freezer stuff and hotel rooms to pay off.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think about 10-15% of folks in my town have generators these days. Pepco had been awful over the years. But they do seem to be trying - we did well with the ice storm.

The cost is high. It would take a whole bunch of lost freezer stuff and hotel rooms to pay off.

-jk
    Yes, my fearless leader but factor in the cost of piles of laundry, children being antsy-pantsy, no hot coffee for mamma and the price slowly comes into line...
    when I win the lottery, it will def be on my top ten list.

when I win the lottery, it will def be on my top ten list.
    Yep, me too. Natural gas fed...

But until then, we'll be cold. Or hot. Depending on the season.

-jk

No power on a well is not fun. My sister has resorted to melting snow on the cooktop to have water to flush. Doesn't work so well if you are dealing with an ice storm or don't have a gas cooktop.

Living in snow country, I do pretty much want/envy the $6k full house auto kick-on generator systems.

But we have something that works sufficiently: we got a generator (gasoline powered) and had an electrician wire up
    enough circuits to keep the house from freezing...it basically runs the water well pump, the furnace, and most lights in the house, and
    the fridge. Does not do the electric stove...but the total cost was less than $2k and VERY much worth it, has saved us several times.

Plus you can keep the generator inside (wheels easily outside) where the trickle charger keeps the battery warm and toasty.
    Get the electric start, too, much less frustrating than the pull cord models.

After thirteen years, this is the first Christmas that Santa is not the star with anyone in the OPK household. Kinda sad. Just does not really get me revved when the secular stuff is just boiled down to a want list.

Really not jazzed this season. Feh.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    After thirteen years, this is the first Christmas that Santa is not the star with anyone in the OPK household. Kinda sad. Just does not really get me revved when the secular stuff is just boiled down to a want list.

Really not jazzed this season. Feh.
    Yeah, we're dealing with the same thing this Christmas. My ten-year-old stopped believing just this past year. She told us the other night, "I don't want to do the milk and cookies thing anymore..." My heart sank a bit.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Yeah, we're dealing with the same thing this Christmas. My ten-year-old stopped believing just this past year. She told us the other night, "I don't want to do the milk and cookies thing anymore..." My heart sank a bit.
    Well, we have always left out Twinkies and single malt. THAT tradition will continue, or the damn tree will be on the lawn before sunrise.

But I am with you, after disliking the Christmas trapping, then reveling in the wonder of youth, I am back to the meh. Glad the kids are still under my roof, although that's end is starting to come into focus too. I guess "mixed blessings" is the theme this year, but gotta embrace the blessings where you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Well, we have always left out Twinkies and single malt. THAT tradition will continue, or the damn tree will be on the lawn before sunrise.
    Now that's a Santa I can believe in!

Cheers!

-jk

Golden Globes....Oscars Next

Last year there was a general consensus that the movies weren't that great, and that the categories weren't that strong. The year before, The Artist (a movie I found dreadfully boring and uninspired) won it all mainly because it was "artsy."

Well, all that changes this year. This might be the strongest movie awards competition ever. I know Throaty (or someone) has been arguing that all we have are these awful big budget movies, but the awards argue differently. Check out the likely candidates for the top awards

Best Picture:

Captain Phillips, 12 Years a Slave, Nebraska, Gravity, American Hustle, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Wolf of Wall Street. All great choices

Best Actor. Might be the toughest lineup in history

Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips
    Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
    Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
    Bruce Dern, Nebraska
    Robert Redford, All is Lost

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
    Sandra Bullock, Gravity
    Amy Adams, American Hustle
    Judi Dench, Philomena
    Emma Thompkins, Saving Mr. Banks

Best Supporting Actor (also might be best grouping ever)

Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
    Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
    Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
    James Gandolfini, Enough Said
    Daniel Bruel, Rush

Best Supporting Actress

Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
    Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
    Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
    June Squib, Nebraska
    Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine

Best Director

Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
    Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips
    Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
    Alexander Payne, Nebraska
    David O. Russell, American Hustle

I mean those categories are...all...just stacked. In each one I could make a solid case for at least three people to win, and in many I could make a solid case for any of them to win. Will make for a tense and exciting awards show, I would guess, as no one film should dominate (though I guess 12 Years a Slave might win a bunch just because of its power)

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Duke just announced that ED decisions are coming next Thursday, the 12th. One week until I finally can (hopefully) call myself a member of the Class of 2018!
    I was rejected by the school that I have wanted to go to my whole life. I really thought that I had a good chance to get in. I really don't want to be here for a while.

Goodbye, not forever, but at least for a while.

I was rejected by the school that I have wanted to go to my whole life. I really thought that I had a good chance to get in. I really don't want to be here for a while.

I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't apply ED and don't know how the system works - can you still be accepted as a regular decision?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't apply ED and don't know how the system works - can you still be accepted as a regular decision?
    No. I may try to transfer in the future, but there is no way that I could be accepted for next year. After tonight, I will not come here for a while, but I will always miss it here.

By the way, how do I remove my signature?
    Last edited by matt1; 12-12-2013 at 08:05 PM.

No. I may try to transfer in the future, but there is no way that I could be accepted for next year. After tonight, I will not come here for a while, but I will always miss it here.

By the way, how do I remove my signature?
    Sorry to hear that, Matt. You obviously have lots going for you, I am sure things will work out like they are supposed to.

Best luck and wishes!

Sorry to hear. Not that it mean anything, but not everyone on the boards is an alum, myself included.

Finals. Are. OVER.

I am now halfway done with law school.