Page 672 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 17257262266267067167267367468272277211721672 ... LastLast
Results 13,421 to 13,440 of 67666
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    You've got to EARN IT!!!!!!
    "At Smith Barney, we make money the OLD-FASHIONED way: we get stupid rich people to give it to us!!"

I loved those commericals - John Houseman (?) was great...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Hmm... This is a tough call. Might be marathons and poker are the only two sports where the people who are terrible gladly pay the prize money of the elite. I think some sort of cutoff seems reasonable. Seriously - taking a break for lunch? That's not racing - that's hiking. I admire the people who do the distance eventually, but you can do that on your own time...
    Oh Turk, there are only about 50 people at any given marathon that have a chance to win, the rest of us are just competing against ourselves and the limitations of our own bodies. I'm slow but it doesn't mean I'm not challenging myself and pushing myself to the absolute limit of what I can do. It takes me 6 hours to run a marathon. If I could figure out a way to train so that my knees don't blow out and I don't have severe leg cramping, I bet I could break 5 1/2 hours. I will still argue that I have as much right to abuse my body as anybody who can do it in 3 hours. The 3 hour people are paying the elite prize money too. The truly elite are invited to compete and they don't pay anything. That's different from poker.

Oh Turk, there are only about 50 people at any given marathon that have a chance to win, the rest of us are just competing against ourselves and the limitations of our own bodies. I'm slow but it doesn't mean I'm not challenging myself and pushing myself to the absolute limit of what I can do. It takes me 6 hours to run a marathon. If I could figure out a way to train so that my knees don't blow out and I don't have severe leg cramping, I bet I could break 5 1/2 hours. I will still argue that I have as much right to abuse my body as anybody who can do it in 3 hours. The 3 hour people are paying the elite prize money too. The truly elite are invited to compete and they don't pay anything. That's different from poker.
    I think you have as much right as anyone to run a marathon and declare proudly that you have done so! It is an accomplishment to run/walk/crawl 26.2 miles in one shot. I can see putting some kind of time limit on it - but not too low. To claim that you have completed a century in cycling, it must be done in under 12 hours, which is an average of 8.33 mph for the 100 miles on your bicycle.

Did they print your response? It seemed that most responses were against the attitude of the runners that were quoted in the article.

I did a full blown letter to the editor which I will post here once I'm sure the Times isn't going to use it. They don't republish and the internet counts, even message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'll second that emotion!

Sorry, Ozzie. I like you but just not the Yankees.
    Make it three! I'll be rooting for the Phillies, too...

I did a full blown letter to the editor which I will post here once I'm sure the Times isn't going to use it. They don't republish and the internet counts, even message boards.
    P.S. Milestone alert - BD is Trajan Langdon at 1,974. Lots of good milestones coming up on the road to 2,001!!

Ooh, Trajan! Who's next? Let's see!

I think I'll make the first 2 NCs posts in the LOST thread.

I think I'll change my avatar... Isn't that just crazie ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    I think I'll change my avatar... Isn't that just crazie ?!?
    I like it!

It's phanatical!

Post #1978. I loved the '78 team, one of my Top 5 all time.

You know, that requires me to think, what is my Top 5 all time?

'86
    '78
    '09
    '01
    '06 or '91? Heck, make it a Top 6.

I think that's been kicked around on the main board before, but I'll throw up mine:

'86
    '91
    '01
    '89
    '81 (yes, I said '81. "You never forget your first Duke-Holes game" and that was a great one. Thanks, Tink!)

I'm sure it has, but it's worth repeating.

Hey Turk, are you Class of '84? I'm Class of '85. Do I know you, IRL?

Ozzie, I realize it's autographed, but the headline says "Mantle Hurt". Huh?
    The rest of the text says
    Mickey Mantle, Mr. Yankee, works out at first base in a noble experiment. He got a single in the opener at DC. Yanks won, 8-0. Mick had to retire (from the game) with aggravation of leg injury. Yanks hope he'll be ready for Friday's home opener.
    Note that quote is, well, a quote. The bad grammar isn't mine.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm sure it has, but it's worth repeating.

Hey Turk, are you Class of '84? I'm Class of '85. Do I know you, IRL?
    Actually, I thought you were '84 also. I'll shoot you a PM...

Mr. BD is Class of '84. He majored in physics and lived off campus all but freshman year. Nobody knows Mr. BD except former roommates.

Nobody knows me either, except former rommates... ;-)

Inigo Montoya: Who are you?
    Man in Black: No one of consequence.
    Inigo Montoya: I must know...
    Man in Black: Get used to disappointment.
    Inigo Montoya: 'kay.

Mr. BD is Class of '84. He majored in physics and lived off campus all but freshman year. Nobody knows Mr. BD except former roommates.
    "...Mr. BD had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. He took me to his cabin and he told me his secret. 'I am not Mr. BD' he said. 'My name is Ryan; I inherited the ship from the previous Mr. BD, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Mr. BD either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Mr. BD has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia...'