Page 632 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 13253258262263063163263363464268273211321632 ... LastLast
Results 12,621 to 12,640 of 67404
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Might I suggest a PT Cruiser convertible? "Take your top off!!"
    Now, now, settle down Mr. Turk...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Although the thought of a convertible is intriguing - the thought of buying a car from a dealer/company that may not be there to service it doesn't appeal. And I don't trust the government warranty promise.
    If you wish to avoid the dealer showroom, do all your research and take a few test drives and then decide what car you want while you are at home. After your decision is made, contact 2-4 Honda/Toyota/Ford dealers within 25/50/100 miles of your home and ask for the internet sales managers and fax your "bids" to them and negotiate by fax. You do have to go to the dealer for the final purchase but decide about any "add ons" (ie. extended warranties, additional options, etc) before you set foot on the lot. I have read about that method on edmunds.com, which is a great site to get the stats on the cars, pricing and some consumer reviews.

If you've got more questions, I'll happily keep visiting. You may also wish to start a separate thread (gasp) to solicit some other car opinions, experiences and tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If you wish to avoid the dealer showroom, do all your research and take a few test drives and then decide what car you want while you are at home. After your decision is made, contact 2-4 Honda/Toyota/Ford dealers within 25/50/100 miles of your home and ask for the internet sales managers and fax your "bids" to them and negotiate by fax. You do have to go to the dealer for the final purchase but decide about any "add ons" (ie. extended warranties, additional options, etc) before you set foot on the lot. I have read about that method on edmunds.com, which is a great site to get the stats on the cars, pricing and some consumer reviews.

If you've got more questions, I'll happily keep visiting. You may also wish to start a separate thread (gasp) to solicit some other car opinions, experiences and tactics.
    Is starting a new thread allowed?

I actually have someone lined up that will do the dealing for me - and try to get below my lowest price. But I like the idea of going by e-mail.

To add to the fun, it appears the Nissan Altima hybrid is now available in KC - and still has the full IRS credit available.

Wow, DinK, I'm glad you're okay! Sounds like a scary experience.

When I bought my last car (an Accord EX-V6), I went in with the attitude that I didn't really need a new car. Truth is, I didn't. I wanted a V6, though. I sat at the desk and read a newspaper while they went back and forth with the haggling. Kept telling them they'd have to do better if they wanted me to buy. They dropped the price of the car a couple of times and then the interest rate on the loan until I finally bit. I must admit, it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Wow, DinK, I'm glad you're okay! Sounds like a scary experience.

When I bought my last car (an Accord EX-V6), I went in with the attitude that I didn't really need a new car. Truth is, I didn't. I wanted a V6, though. I sat at the desk and read a newspaper while they went back and forth with the haggling. Kept telling them they'd have to do better if they wanted me to buy. They dropped the price of the car a couple of times and then the interest rate on the loan until I finally bit. I must admit, it was fun.
    Sounds like YOU need to go out and help DinK buy her new auto.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Is starting a new thread allowed?

I actually have someone lined up that will do the dealing for me - and try to get below my lowest price. But I like the idea of going by e-mail.

To add to the fun, it appears the Nissan Altima hybrid is now available in KC - and still has the full IRS credit available.
    Starting a new thread is allowed. Click on New Thread just under User CP and above Threads in Forum, give it a fancy title like "HVAC," "Tonsils," or "DinK needs advice buying a new car" and submit it. Ozzie's pretty good at car advice, I'm not too shabby and I'd bet you have a buncha replies in a few hours. Seriously.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I don't mind new car advice in this thread. I might even tolerate talking about tonsils. But really has the OTB gotten a bit, well, boring lately?

I am David Henderson! I love David Henderson! I actually know David Henderson!

Sounds like YOU need to go out and help DinK buy her new auto.
    Guess I am closer geographically than most! Car buying is very much like a poker game. If you're ready to walk they'll often make a deal. I would imagine that, in this economy, the dealerships will be falling all over themselves to sell you a car. DinK, just remember that you're in the driver's seat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I don't mind new car advice in this thread. I might even tolerate talking about tonsils. But really has the OTB gotten a bit, well, boring lately?

I am David Henderson! I love David Henderson! I actually know David Henderson!
    Congrats on the status!

Yes, the OTB is a bit boring. It could use an EarlJam poll or two to liven things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Guess I am closer geographically than most! Car buying is very much like a poker game. If you're ready to walk they'll often make a deal. I would imagine that, in this economy, the dealerships will be falling all over themselves to sell you a car. DinK, just remember that you're in the driver's seat!
    My friend's husband apparently sees it as a challenge and would try to come in $2k under my price - you just can't be attached to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    So essentially a stress fracture or something thereabout?
    I got a stress fracture when I ran too much playing basketball. I guess that I ran too much on it and it got weakened enough that it just cracked.

The 08 Dodge Caliber is an awesome car... I love mine.

Lightbulb Idea

Maybe when John Wall Recruitment is over, the mods should add that thread to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke #33 View Post
    Maybe when John Wall Recruitment is over, the mods should add that thread to this one.
    Like hell they should. NFW.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    We don't need any help from the John Wall contingent. We rule, we are strong, we are the longest!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    We don't need any help from the John Wall contingent. We rule, we are strong, we are the longest!
    We were first (here, at least).

Now, now, settle down Mr. Turk...
    Hey, people are thinking LTE is so boring they'd rather read about John Wall instead... Just trying to be smartmouth and / or liven things up without landing in timeout...

Let's keep talking about convertibles, since I have yet to own one but am lusting after them mightily (not even choosy about the brand)...

Whenever I see someone driving around on a particularly fine spring day with the top up, I want to find a lawyer and revoke their convertible-owning license...

There are so many flavors it would be hard to choose... At the low end, I could start with an old jeep - the kind where your interior cleaning is done with a garden hose and a leaf blower...

Let's keep talking about convertibles, since I have yet to own one but am lusting after them mightily (not even choosy about the brand)...

Whenever I see someone driving around on a particularly fine spring day with the top up, I want to find a lawyer and revoke their convertible-owning license...

There are so many flavors it would be hard to choose... At the low end, I could start with an old jeep - the kind where your interior cleaning is done with a garden hose and a leaf blower...
    Traditional convertibles are great with the top down. But when the top is up your vision is limited due to the bigger post area and smaller windows. I don't like it with the top up. I feel like a rat trapped in a sinking submarine, slowly descending to the inky depths of the icy darkness.

Some hardtop convertibles don't have the restricted vision. The BMW 3 series with the retractable hardtop combines the best of both. Buy one of those!

Ooohh, good topic.

We have owned 2 in our household, a Wrangler and a Saab 900. First, the Jeep.

Kids loved it, I hated it-sort of. Noisy, small, rough and not very economical at 16/19 MPG. We did have a manual tranny so it was kinda fun to drive. The top was a real PITA to manage and guess who got to replace the hard top when we traded it several years ago. 3 guesses, first 2 don't count. It wasn't a cheap vehicle but I did get a reasonable price as an end of year close out in December. Also got a reasonable price as a trade in after 5 years and 55K miles of ownership. We took care of it pretty well and Wranglers tend to hold their value pretty well.

Saab thoughts later today.