Page 3395 of 3406 FirstFirst ... 23952895329533453385339333943395339633973405 ... LastLast
Results 67,881 to 67,900 of 68115
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Hey DinK - where in Kansas are you? The US National Figure Skating Championships are in Wichita next January.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Hey DinK - where in Kansas are you? The US National Figure Skating Championships are in Wichita next January.
    I'm in the Kansas City metro area - about 3.5 hours away.

I was in Springfield, MO for the weekend at my niece's high school graduation. Did you miss me?
    Absolutely you were missed.

Uh, which one are you, Damon or Affleck?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I rather enjoy job hopping. Worked out well so far.
    I hear ya, the current $#1+ I'm going through right now has gotten old. And quick.

mowed for the first time yesterday, so today, despite showers, we turn our attention to Hose Day during which we drag the very long hoses out of the basement and deploy them in the Central Park Region and the deck. Excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    mowed for the first time yesterday, so today, despite showers, we turn our attention to Hose Day during which we drag the very long hoses out of the basement and deploy them in the Central Park Region and the deck. Excitement!
    Hey Ymooooooooo…..?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I hear ya, the current $#1+ I'm going through right now has gotten old. And quick.
    I enjoy most of what I do and the people. Really don’t like my current manager and about to begin reporting to one I like even less.

First time in my career that I’ve actively disliked my managers so it’s new, particularly since I like most else.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I enjoy most of what I do and the people. Really don’t like my current manager and about to begin reporting to one I like even less.

First time in my career that I’ve actively disliked my managers so it’s new, particularly since I like most else.
    I have been at my job for 4.5 years now. I have actually liked it, but last year, we got a new "supervisor". When I first started this position, I reported directly to the hospital Director. Then they created a mid-level position to take over the menial stuff like approving time off and performance reviews, etc. Now, for the first time, I have a supervisor who has NO CLUE about what I do. And she is a micro-manager+++ who is in denial, and it is driving her crazy that she cannot micromanage me b/c she knows nothing about my job. We had a little head-to-head a couple of weeks ago, and I think I won. It remains to be seen, but others in the group are having the same issues. We just did the annual employee survey where we are asked about our supervisors/workloads/job satisfaction, etc, and several in our group answered honestly (so they say), so if the Director didn't know before, she will now. I really can't imagine she hasn't been as inept with upper management as she has been with us. She's one of those people where information goes in one ear, gets completely lost in translation, then comes out her mouth totally different. We are hoping her recent absences mean she's looking elsewhere. Oh, and she is working almost completely remotely, but she hogs a windowed office and makes others cover for her for things that have to be done in person. I have <6 years to go before I can retire early but fully, so I am sticking it out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I really can't imagine she hasn't been as inept with upper management as she has been with us.
    I hope you're right about that. I've had a couple of bosses that have been awful human beings, but were expert brown-nosers and were loved by upper management. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I hope you're right about that. I've had a couple of bosses that have been awful human beings, but were expert brown-nosers and were loved by upper management. Good luck!
    Thanks. I really don't think brown-nosing can cover up the fact that there are more than a few loose screws!

Thanks. I really don't think brown-nosing can cover up the fact that there are more than a few loose screws!
    I had one particular bad boss like that. Eventually, the CEO figured it out and got rid of him, but it took a while for the screws to come loose enough. It was pretty painful waiting for that to happen.

I treated for dinner for the six of us the last night in Prague. I decided today to see if I have enough points to cover a flight to St. Paul. I discovered that I have enough points to do that plus cover the cost of meals purchased recently. My dinner "generosity" will not cost me any current dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I treated for dinner for the six of us the last night in Prague. I decided today to see if I have enough points to cover a flight to St. Paul. I discovered that I have enough points to do that plus cover the cost of meals purchased recently. My dinner "generosity" will not cost me any current dollars.
    Well done.

I have been at my job for 4.5 years now. I have actually liked it, but last year, we got a new "supervisor". When I first started this position, I reported directly to the hospital Director. Then they created a mid-level position to take over the menial stuff like approving time off and performance reviews, etc. Now, for the first time, I have a supervisor who has NO CLUE about what I do. And she is a micro-manager+++ who is in denial, and it is driving her crazy that she cannot micromanage me b/c she knows nothing about my job. We had a little head-to-head a couple of weeks ago, and I think I won. It remains to be seen, but others in the group are having the same issues. We just did the annual employee survey where we are asked about our supervisors/workloads/job satisfaction, etc, and several in our group answered honestly (so they say), so if the Director didn't know before, she will now. I really can't imagine she hasn't been as inept with upper management as she has been with us. She's one of those people where information goes in one ear, gets completely lost in translation, then comes out her mouth totally different. We are hoping her recent absences mean she's looking elsewhere. Oh, and she is working almost completely remotely, but she hogs a windowed office and makes others cover for her for things that have to be done in person. I have <6 years to go before I can retire early but fully, so I am sticking it out!!!
    Don't be so sure about mgmt's awareness. I had at least one senior staff member who was terrific. Turns out, he kept sr. mgmt happy but was awful to his people, who hated him.

I am sad.I

I found out David Tennant and Cush Jumbo were remounting their production of Macbeth in the fall. I am already planning to go to the UK to visit Paddies while he is in business school sometime in the fall. I signed up to receive an email when tickets went on sale. I never got an email, tickets went on sale, and they are now sold out. I've hit the ticket resale sites but nothing.
    Some might come available closer to the run of the show but I won't be able to drop everything and go last minute because - London - there is a plane flight involved.

Anybody have connections in the UK that could find a way for me to get a ticket?

I only need one.

Still sad.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Don't be so sure about mgmt's awareness. I had at least one senior staff member who was terrific. Turns out, he kept sr. mgmt happy but was awful to his people, who hated him.
    Been there. For the most part I've had excellent managers, but there was one (CIO at my university) who always said yes to those above him and was a jerk to those below him. He once made a student intern cry. It took about five years before the powers that figure out why he kept losing good people and couldn't deliver on promises. Live was much more enjoyable once we got a competent human being as his replacement.

I am sad.I

I found out David Tennant and Cush Jumbo were remounting their production of Macbeth in the fall. I am already planning to go to the UK to visit Paddies while he is in business school sometime in the fall. I signed up to receive an email when tickets went on sale. I never got an email, tickets went on sale, and they are now sold out. I've hit the ticket resale sites but nothing.
    Some might come available closer to the run of the show but I won't be able to drop everything and go last minute because - London - there is a plane flight involved.

Anybody have connections in the UK that could find a way for me to get a ticket?

I only need one.

Still sad.
    It’s wickedly expensive but tickets seem to be popping up on lovetheatre.com. Viagogo.com and Stubhub.uk are the big resellers. Twickets is a fan to fan exchange but probably will have less luck there. For any reseller, look for Star.org.uk seal (and click the link to the certification or go directly to that site to lookup the reseller). Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Been there. For the most part I've had excellent managers, but there was one (CIO at my university) who always said yes to those above him and was a jerk to those below him. He once made a student intern cry. It took about five years before the powers that figure out why he kept losing good people and couldn't deliver on promises. Live was much more enjoyable once we got a competent human being as his replacement.
    I am fortunate in that my job REQUIRES that I have direct access to the Director. So after my recent head-to-head with her, I had a chat with the Director and let her know how the supervisor was handling a specific issue incorrectly. I also used the opportunity to tell her about another incident in which my co-worker and I were chastised over something that we were sure was completely bogus (supervisor said the Director "came down on her" about something that we did). After speaking with the Big Kahuna, I know that that was a lie, and now she knows as well.

Plus, as I mentioned before, we just did that big annual survey, and her underlings' responses are definitely looked at by the Director's Office. And she will have several remarks against her.

I woke up this morning to find a 30-foot tree uprooted and completely blocking my driveway. And my tree guy is already here getting it cleared. I think I love him.

The unceasing line of storms rolling through Tennessee all day yesterday and all last night was like nothing I've ever seen. Much of TN is under water or otherwise saturated today.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I woke up this morning to find a 30-foot tree uprooted and completely blocking my driveway. And my tree guy is already here getting it cleared. I think I love him.

The unceasing line of storms rolling through Tennessee all day yesterday and all last night was like nothing I've ever seen. Much of TN is under water or otherwise saturated today.
    The storms arrived in upstate SC last night and are still rumbling through. I was up about 1:30 AM listening to the crash of thunder in the distance as most of the nasty stuff went either north or south of me. Got a lot of straight line wind, but no twisty weather. Still more rain to come here; ending sometime after lunch.

My weathercat just reappeared indicating the thunderboomers have passed. Weekend looks nice.