Page 186 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 861361761841851861871881962362866861186 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,720 of 67415
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I'm struggling with the title. My Best Book of Bad Puns? Punitive Puns Gone Horribly Wrong? Fishing For Puns?
    Can't help you there, but on the subject of titles, I have been itching to write a screenplay about a fighting order of nuns, like the nun Shaolin Monks. The title? Force of Habit.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Can't help you there, but on the subject of titles, I have been itching to write a screenplay about a fighting order of nuns, like the nun Shaolin Monks. The title? Force of Habit.
    I would back this project.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Ouch. Or perhaps Habitual Defender?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    One of the many plays I have had produced is a short holiday themed comedy entitled Round John Virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    One of the many plays I have had produced is a short holiday themed comedy entitled Round John Virgin.
    Although I disagree with the consensus view, aren't virgins generally considered square?

This may belong on the PP board:

There's much concern about the vetting of Sarah Palin. Fred Thompson revealed last night that McCain drove a 'vette. Perhaps he took Sarah for a ride, thus throughly vetting Mrs. Palin?

Red face UGH... a vet vetting

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    This may belong on the PP board:

There's much concern about the vetting of Sarah Palin. Fred Thompson revealed last night that McCain drove a 'vette. Perhaps he took Sarah for a ride, thus throughly vetting Mrs. Palin?
    Let me try hijacking this back to the main topic of this thread ...

With much credit to Yogi:
    We have worked very hard to avoid the PPB (and at least some of them have tried hard to avoid us). No one goes to the PPB; it's too crowded.

Any more Yogi-isms out there?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

plays

Is the sequel entitled: Mother and Child?

ppb,yogi

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Let me try hijacking this back to the main topic of this thread ...

With much credit to Yogi:
    We have worked very hard to avoid the PPB (and at least some of them have tried hard to avoid us). No one goes to the PPB; it's too crowded.

Any more Yogi-isms out there?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    1. You've been there-I've seen some of your posts
    2. And they pay you cash,which is just as good as money.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Is the sequel entitled: Mother and Child?
    Not yet.

Pretty busy in here today and on the OTB. Soon BD will hit the 1000 post mark.

Not yet.
    Does not yet imply it is a work in progress? Or just never considered?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    From my perspective, not yet implies that it was at least considered. But I'm a numbers guy, perhaps the inference was all mine.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Never considered.

If I'm going to be serious about this, and I do not mean to disparage, but 'Mother and Child' isn't that great a title. If it were on a double with 'Round John Virgin' is would work but by itself, well.

I have theories on titles. I think the best title is going to give you a hint of what to expect even if you know nothing about the play (or movie) before you walk into the theater.

Examples of titles I think work very well:

The Dark Knight, you just somehow know this will be action with a moral base and not light-hearted (about anything, it turns out).

What the Butler Saw. Is anyone here familiar with this Joe Orton play? If not, take a guess as to genre. Spoiler tags - It's a farce and there is not butler anywhere in the thing. Could a title this cliche be anything but? I say no.

And tooting my own horn, could Round John Virgin be anything but a Christmas themed comedy?

Craptastic titles? If it's got the word Extreme in it, it's bad. Same with Maximum. Extreme Measures, anybody remember that movie? Remember what it was about? If not, take a guess. I bet you will be wrong.

The Ice Storm, while not exactly a terrible title, it didn't work for the movie, because I can't remember which of two movies was actually called that. Was it the suburban repressed '70s in Connecticut movie (Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Christina Ricci, Sigourney Weaver) or was it that hero must get out of town John Cusack movie? Or were they both called The Ice Storm?

Here's one that worked but was changed when it came out on video to something terrible - Last of the High Kings great little indie coming of age film written by Gabriel Byrne (and directed? I think so.). Came out on video as Summer Fling, all kinds of wrong, cause it's so not a cookie cutter teenage sex comedy.

The Ice Storm, while not exactly a terrible title, it didn't work for the movie, because I can't remember which of two movies was actually called that. Was it the suburban repressed '70s in Connecticut movie (Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Christina Ricci, Sigourney Weaver) or was it that hero must get out of town John Cusack movie? Or were they both called The Ice Storm?
    The John Cusack movie was The Ice Harvest. Ice Storm was an okay title for the other flick, only because the storm was key to some strange denouement, IIRC. There wasn't much other action in the flick, so there weren't too many options as to how else to name it.

I think Round John Virgin is an *excellent* title.

Smile Good morning, Ymo

What a weekend of sports:
    College football
    NFL
    MLB pennant races
    Sprint Cup action
    and the best news for us ...

... we get our first HDTV today. Even better... we're getting BluRay as well.

I wonder if FIGHT CLUB comes on BluRay.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. That McCain drinking game is deadly.

Oh yeah ... looks like that Vandy avatar might be a good luck charm, eh?
    Last edited by Lavabe; 09-05-2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Vandy

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    we're getting BluRay as well.

Oh yeah ... looks like that Vandy avatar might be a good luck charm, eh?
    a) Congrats on Bluray...but boo for Sony. Looks like they won't have a player for much less than $400 going into the holiday season. Which is what us HD DVD advocates warned about. It'll be late 2009 before they have a player that will hit mass market pricing.

b) Here's hoping that the Duke-Vandy matchup in late October is a surprise contest of unbeatens...which means Vandy needs to upset currently #2 ranked Georgia on the road and current #9 Auburn at home.

Ymo "2-6 in the SEC is beats 4-4 in the ACC any day of the week" BeThere

Did I mention that my oldest son is playing freshman football at the famous Newton North high school this year? Did I mention that 8 days into his football career he broke his wrist at practice? Poor guy. He got pancake blocked and hit his wrist wrong when he fell. It's a hairline fracture and he's out 4-6 weeks. In some ways though, he's getting the best of both worlds. He's officially on the team but he doesn't have to take anymore hits until October. He can do non-contact drills at practice. This afternoon he gets to stand on the sidelines wearing the jersey but no pads at the first game.

Did I mention that my oldest son is playing freshman football at the famous Newton North high school this year? Did I mention that 8 days into his football career he broke his wrist at practice? Poor guy. He got pancake blocked and hit his wrist wrong when he fell. It's a hairline fracture and he's out 4-6 weeks. In some ways though, he's getting the best of both worlds. He's officially on the team but he doesn't have to take anymore hits until October. He can do non-contact drills at practice. This afternoon he gets to stand on the sidelines wearing the jersey but no pads at the first game.
    Sorry about his wrist, that's a tough break. Ouch.

Sometimes when I read the main board I think "Who are these people?"