Page 103 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 353931011021031041051131532036031103 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 67370
    From an unsubstantiated source:

Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour - about 1.5 pounds a year. By 70 years of age, an average person will have lost 105 pounds of skin.

Humans shed and re-grow outer skin cells about every 27 days - almost 1,000 new skins in a lifetime.

http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/h-triv.html

How do certain hairs know when to stop growing?

For example, the hair on your head and face will grow and grow and grow and never stop (I think).

But arm hair, leg hair, toe hair, underarm hair and hair around the hmmm hmmm spots only grow to a certain point....then stop.

That's kind of amazing to me. How it know?

-EarlJam

Here's a run for your money

In 2000, I was at the graduation of Transylvania University because my husband was getting his degree from there. Hundreds of people packed into a little gym with no air conditioning in June. So after endless blather about "achieving your dreams" and "turning obstacles into stepping stones" and other such dewey-eyed nonsense graduation cliches, the keynote speaker gets up and say, in a very thick Kentucky accent, "Never give up. Never, never give up. That's all you need to know."

And the gym goes nuts! We were so excited to escape our fate of being roasted alive! And then one of the administrative bigwigs takes the mike and says, "Mr. [whoever], we thank you so much for coming to graduation. Surely you have just a few more things to say to our grads."

Whereupon dude gets back up and yammers on for 45 minutes about his peanut butter empire. I am not kidding you. It was horrible. It was like fate was just toying with us, like it wanted us to smell its fetid breath before its jaws snapped together and crushed us.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    In 2000, I was at the graduation of Transylvania University because my husband was getting his degree from there. Hundreds of people packed into a little gym with no air conditioning in June. So after endless blather about "achieving your dreams" and "turning obstacles into stepping stones" and other such dewey-eyed nonsense graduation cliches, the keynote speaker gets up and say, in a very thick Kentucky accent, "Never give up. Never, never give up. That's all you need to know."

And the gym goes nuts! We were so excited to escape our fate of being roasted alive! And then one of the administrative bigwigs takes the mike and says, "Mr. [whoever], we thank you so much for coming to graduation. Surely you have just a few more things to say to our grads."

Whereupon dude gets back up and yammers on for 45 minutes about his peanut butter empire. I am not kidding you. It was horrible. It was like fate was just toying with us, like it wanted us to smell its fetid breath before its jaws snapped together and crushed us.
    I am surprised that Vlad the Impaler/Count Dracula were not invited to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    I am surprised that Vlad the Impaler/Count Dracula were not invited to speak.
    They probably were, but had the good sense to turn it down. You totally set me up for this, but Vlad the Impaler had nothing on this moron for torturing the masses.

What did the doctor say?

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning. KIDDING!!

Bostondevil, didn't you see the doctor today about your knees? What did he/she say?

1982 vs. 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My brother graduated Class of '82. Are we sure Hannah Gray didn't speak at that one? It was definitely on East Campus. The student speaker gave a speech entitled 'No More Lies'.
    You know, I think you're right. I think this contributed to my frustration in 1983, as the speaker in 1982 was supposedly great.

DukieinKansas: Sounds like we in 1983 continued the traditions set forth in 1982... except for the quality of the speaker.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You know, I think you're right. I think this contributed to my frustration in 1983, as the speaker in 1982 was supposedly great.

DukieinKansas: Sounds like we in 1983 continued the traditions set forth in 1982... except for the quality of the speaker.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I certainly can't testify as to the quality of the speakers since the things I mentioned above are the only things I remember from the ceremony. One other thing I remember is that there was no Pomp & Circumstance for the graduates walking in - it was more like carnival music. I'll have to see if I can find any programs from graduation to see who spoke.

Tagging is new (I think), and I'm all over it and love it.
    Check out your public profile too. There's all kinds of cool stuff. I've already created a gallery with some pictures at Cameron.

Should we expect any announcement from the Mods or have I missed it? I think it would be great to get a rundown of the new features. Great stuff from what I've found so far. Good job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Tagging is new (I think), and I'm all over it and love it.
    Check out your public profile too. There's all kinds of cool stuff. I've already created a gallery with some pictures at Cameron.

Should we expect any announcement from the Mods or have I missed it? I think it would be great to get a rundown of the new features. Great stuff from what I've found so far. Good job!!!
    How come I can see "recent visitors" list of someone else's profile, but not my own? Mine just shows the number of visitors.

At least none of your commencement speakers ever went out of his or her way to insult any of your classmates.

"It's so nice to look out on this field and see a group of winners for a change."
    --Cokie Roberts, Wallace Wade Stadium, 1999

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    At least none of your commencement speakers ever went out of his or her way to insult any of your classmates.

"It's so nice to look out on this field and see a group of winners for a change."
    Cokie spoke at my sister's graduation, which was Boston College '94. Ouch!!

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post

Useless trivia: Cokie Roberts is neither Cokie nor Roberts... birth name: Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Here's a new topic, I think. You know how there are songs that lots of people get the lyrics wrong, excuse me, while I kiss this guy. Anybody have one that they got wrong that everyone else wonders what is the matter with them? I heard an '80s era REM tune on the radio today, 'Your Brown Eyes', the rest of you probably know it as 'Pilgrimage'. Anybody else?

Tilly, yes, I saw the doctor. He told me that although I probably could finish one more marathon, I shouldn't make a habit of running them. My kneecap doesn't track properly and no amount of weight training, physical therapy, getting the right shoes is ever going to completely change that. He did however tell me that if I'm really determined to run again next year, I should start physical therapy now. He also said I should do much more cross-training than I have been. Ugh, I hate swimming, but I will have to do that and the stationary bicycle almost as much as running. Finally, he said I should not do a training run of more than 12 miles after January. He said that my knees will flare up no matter what I do and that I should save it for race day. He told me any run of more than 12 miles will take me about 3 months to completely recover from. He did however say that I've done no permanent damage, my ligaments and cartiledge are fine, I don't need surgery, and that running 3-6 miles shouldn't give me too much problem in the future if that's how I want to get my exercise in general.

So my current plan is to do a 15 mile run sometime this summer, an 18 mile run sometime in the fall and a 20 miler in January just to get them in. Then I'll do 3-6 twice a week with a swim and a cycle mixed in, a couple of 10-12 milers in the 6 weeks before the marathon and hope for the best. So, yeah, I'm in, one more time. Next year is the 113th and 13 is my lucky number. Six hours or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Useless trivia: Cokie Roberts is neither Cokie nor Roberts... birth name: Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs
    Yep, daughter of Hale and Lindy Boggs, both former members of congress from Louisiana.

I admire you, Bostondevil!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Here's a new topic, I think. You know how there are songs that lots of people get the lyrics wrong, excuse me, while I kiss this guy. Anybody have one that they got wrong that everyone else wonders what is the matter with them? I heard an '80s era REM tune on the radio today, 'Your Brown Eyes', the rest of you probably know it as 'Pilgrimage'. Anybody else?

Tilly, yes, I saw the doctor. He told me that although I probably could finish one more marathon, I shouldn't make a habit of running them. My kneecap doesn't track properly and no amount of weight training, physical therapy, getting the right shoes is ever going to completely change that. He did however tell me that if I'm really determined to run again next year, I should start physical therapy now. He also said I should do much more cross-training than I have been. Ugh, I hate swimming, but I will have to do that and the stationary bicycle almost as much as running. Finally, he said I should not do a training run of more than 12 miles after January. He said that my knees will flare up no matter what I do and that I should save it for race day. He told me any run of more than 12 miles will take me about 3 months to completely recover from. He did however say that I've done no permanent damage, my ligaments and cartiledge are fine, I don't need surgery, and that running 3-6 miles shouldn't give me too much problem in the future if that's how I want to get my exercise in general.

So my current plan is to do a 15 mile run sometime this summer, an 18 mile run sometime in the fall and a 20 miler in January just to get them in. Then I'll do 3-6 twice a week with a swim and a cycle mixed in, a couple of 10-12 milers in the 6 weeks before the marathon and hope for the best. So, yeah, I'm in, one more time. Next year is the 113th and 13 is my lucky number. Six hours or bust.
    Okay, everyone but BD, raise your hand if you'd hang up your marathon running shoes if the doctor gave you the above information. I think I probably would. Best wishes on the continued recovery and physical therapy!

Yeah, we updated. Only die-hards will notice, though (average post-count in this thread is well over 1,000). I haven't plumbed the depths of the new offering yet. Let me know if you find anything really cool.

-jk

new board software

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Yeah, we updated. Only die-hards will notice, though (average post-count in this thread is well over 1,000). I haven't plumbed the depths of the new offering yet. Let me know if you find anything really cool.

-jk
    sheesh. I haven't noticed a thing different, but then again, I have recurrent trouble with "quote tags." But, this post should raise the average a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    You're bringing the thread post count average down.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    How come I can see "recent visitors" list of someone else's profile, but not my own? Mine just shows the number of visitors.
    Maybe you hadn't had any visitors since the board software was updated. I'm guessing the feature adds a new DB column that is NULL for all previous visits. I see names for the recent visitors in mine.

Visitor messages are new, aren't they? That's kinda cool -- each user essentially has their own mini-board now.