Page 358 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 2583083483563573583593603684084588581358 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,160 of 67404
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    What Duke bball will you be watching? I thought the next games were the women on 12/16 and the men on 12/17?
    that is correct.

Belated congrats to Sue and Fish. Sorry, Sue, I wasn't around and online later yesterday -- had an early meeting this morning.

I've found Trader Joe's has an excellent alcohol supply - my most recent sampling will be going on the Ymm beer thread as soon as I get through about 80 unread posts over there.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Belated congrats to Sue and Fish. Sorry, Sue, I wasn't around and online later yesterday -- had an early meeting this morning.

I've found Trader Joe's has an excellent alcohol supply - my most recent sampling will be going on the Ymm beer thread as soon as I get through about 80 unread posts over there.
    You should feel that obligation. After all, you started it.

Wow, this is tough. Almost 1/2 way to the 2nd team. I'm exhausted and it is WAY past my bedtime...

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I have a QB (let's call her that for fear of timeout) story that's really funny, as in an almost lost my job because of it kind of funny. I have to run now but will post it tonight.
    Wow, quoting myself. That feels odd.

Anyhoo, here's my QB story. Several jobs ago, I was known for being the squeaky wheel with our then software vendor. I saw it as taking care of my organization, others saw it as being (w)itchy. But you know what? I got my job done and damn well at that. I also didn't burn any bridges and had good relationships both internally in the organization and externally with the vendor. I just didn't take any crap from anyone and held everyone to a high standard.

So... while at that job, we changed software vendors. I ran lead on the whole thing, so I knew ALL the ins and outs. Also, our organization was part of a larger company, and there were several of us who held the same position in their respective branch of the company. We all communicated fairly often, either by phone or email. We commiserated, vented, asked for advice, bounced ideas for each other, etc. We were also mostly using the same software.

Well one day shortly after I switched our area to the new software vendor, I needed something addressed. The vendor tried to push me aside and make me wait, and well that just wasn't going to do. So I pretty much said this is what I need and I need it by X (whatever deadline I gave them). Needless to say, it didn't go over very well, but my boss never had a problem with me doing that.

Sooooo... after my deadline declaration, I send an email to my colleagues joking around saying that the software vendor better watch out- the QB is here! I put LOL, , and all that jazz, and the colleagues all cracked up.

Yeahhhh... someone in the software company got a hold of my email and sent it to my boss, essentially saying WTF? (Don't even go into how they got hold of it... we think someone's email was being monitored but I digress.)

My boss calls and asks me about the email. I didn't even remember it at the time, but then I'm like ohhhhhh. I pull it up and read it to him and he asks me to forward it to him, which I do. And he tells me to come to his office.

I go down, shaking at this point. He looks at me and says, "Sue, never put anything in writing. I know what you meant. I know you didn't mean anything by it. But call them and laugh about it over the phone. Just don't put it in writing, ok?"

Yep. Never put anything like that in an email again.

Don't look now, but you're Chip Engelland (whoever that is?) at 1,025.

Good thing your boss has a sense of humor, and understands yours. That doesn't sound like you were being (w)itchy, but just assertive -- I hate that sometimes folks don't understand/appreciate the difference. (From another 'assertive' chica here...)

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Wow, quoting myself. That feels odd.

Anyhoo, here's my QB story. Several jobs ago, I was known for being the squeaky wheel with our then software vendor. I saw it as taking care of my organization, others saw it as being (w)itchy. But you know what? I got my job done and damn well at that. I also didn't burn any bridges and had good relationships both internally in the organization and externally with the vendor. I just didn't take any crap from anyone and held everyone to a high standard.

So... while at that job, we changed software vendors. I ran lead on the whole thing, so I knew ALL the ins and outs. Also, our organization was part of a larger company, and there were several of us who held the same position in their respective branch of the company. We all communicated fairly often, either by phone or email. We commiserated, vented, asked for advice, bounced ideas for each other, etc. We were also mostly using the same software.

Well one day shortly after I switched our area to the new software vendor, I needed something addressed. The vendor tried to push me aside and make me wait, and well that just wasn't going to do. So I pretty much said this is what I need and I need it by X (whatever deadline I gave them). Needless to say, it didn't go over very well, but my boss never had a problem with me doing that.

Sooooo... after my deadline declaration, I send an email to my colleagues joking around saying that the software vendor better watch out- the QB is here! I put LOL, , and all that jazz, and the colleagues all cracked up.

Yeahhhh... someone in the software company got a hold of my email and sent it to my boss, essentially saying WTF? (Don't even go into how they got hold of it... we think someone's email was being monitored but I digress.)

My boss calls and asks me about the email. I didn't even remember it at the time, but then I'm like ohhhhhh. I pull it up and read it to him and he asks me to forward it to him, which I do. And he tells me to come to his office.

I go down, shaking at this point. He looks at me and says, "Sue, never put anything in writing. I know what you meant. I know you didn't mean anything by it. But call them and laugh about it over the phone. Just don't put it in writing, ok?"

Yep. Never put anything like that in an email again.
    Some people (like maybe software developers) don't take kindly to being told "what" and "when". It's always an uphill battle reminding my boss that he can only have one of the two. Some people also have no sense of humor. Glad your boss was cool about it!

For wilson

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Well ok...good to know. I'll be sure and pick some up the next time I'm on the left coast.
    Shots taken from the BevMo in Escondido. I love the label description.

Red face Anyone got some Tears for Fears?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Don't look now, but you're Chip Engelland (whoever that is?) at 1,025.
    Class of '83 speaking here...

Together with Tom (Emma), Chip (from Pacific Palisades) played in the backcourt during most of my college days in the early 80's. You might recall those were the days when K was just starting out with Duke, and we no longer had the Bill Foster players. Duke had difficulty against teams like Wagner and UNC-W.

Chip and Tom were good shooters.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Happy Birthday Tilly!

Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Tilleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Happy Birthday to you!

Smile Happy Sifaka Day!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Tilleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy B-Day, Tilly! May the weather be clear for your visit to Lemur Land!!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Happy Birthday, TG!

(Best darn NASCAR prognosticator on this board!)

Happy B'Day Tilly!
    May your day be filled with laughs, smiles and chocolate!

Let's hear it for our NASCAR Phenom, her true blue Dukeie self, To Tilly Galore!

I would have started a thread on this, but figured this would last longer! lol

Happy Birthday
    clappity clappity clappity
    Happy Birthday

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Happy B'Day Tilly!
    May your day be filled with laughs, smiles and chocolate!

Let's hear it for our NASCAR Phenom, her true blue Dukeie self, To Tilly Galore!

I would have started a thread on this, but figured this would last longer! lol

Happy Birthday
    Happy Birthday
    I just started a thread But hey, it doesn't hurt to have multiple birthday wishes in multiple threads, does it?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Class of '83 speaking here...

Together with Tom (Emma), Chip (from Pacific Palisades) played in the backcourt during most of my college days in the early 80's. You might recall those were the days when K was just starting out with Duke, and we no longer had the Bill Foster players. Duke had difficulty against teams like Wagner and UNC-W.

Chip and Tom were good shooters.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Engelland has also come back to Duke on several occasions to work with players on their outside shots. I met him at the '86 Final Four. Very nice guy. I asked for his autograph on my program. He said "What for?" to which I replied, "You played for Duke, that's forever." He signed it.

Engelland and Emma (plus Tissaw) were the last class recruited by Foster. Was there a fourth member of that class? Alan Williams maybe?

Smile Everybody wants to rule the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Engelland and Emma (plus Tissaw) were the last class recruited by Foster. Was there a fourth member of that class? Alan Williams maybe?
    Oooh... Tissaw.

Didn't he try out for tight end with the Dallas Cowboys?

IIRC, didn't Emma recently write a piece about college athletics and academics?

Cheers for Fears,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Posted on the bday thread, but can't hurt to duplicate it here... Happy Birthday, oh member of the DBR Sisterhood (aka DBR Babes at the Beach) !

Did anyone else get the NBC Iron Man triathalon show this afternoon? I'm watching it right now, and some of these stories are moving me to tears. I think you have to be somewhat insane to do something like that, but man, I'm so impressed by what some people can accomplish. The oldest competitor ever finished this year - a 72-yo woman. That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Oooh... Tissaw.

Didn't he try out for tight end with the Dallas Cowboys?

IIRC, didn't Emma recently write a piece about college athletics and academics?

Cheers for Fears,
    Lavabe
    Mike Tissaw was DRAFTED by the Dallas Cowboys who thought they could turn him into a tight end!