Page 55 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657651051555551055 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 67393
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Run, Boston, Run! In what temperature?
    Thanks for the donation, by the way. DBR OTB posters rock!

It's getting up into the 40s tomorrow. I find I have no trouble running outside as long as it's above freezing and not too windy. I won't run in the snow or on ice, when it's icy I head to the treadmill. I do need gloves though, although sometimes I take them off for awhile but I always end up putting them back on. I bought some special 'fitness fleece' gloves from L.L. Bean and they are just great. I finally bought the proper shoes at Marathon sports a couple of weeks ago, makes a huge difference to my knees.

And the Arkansas Assassins are being represented.
    Hey, that phrase is insulting to the people of Arkansas.

Red face I apologize

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Hey, that phrase is insulting to the people of Arkansas.
    Whoops ... I get Alaska and Arkansas confused when it comes to alliteration!

Perhaps the Arkansas Outlaws? Or am I getting that confused with Arizona?

Sorry,
    Lavabe

Have I bragged about my track and field exploits before?

I won 'Jump the Brook' on field day in the 5th grade. The entire 5th grade competed, boys and girls together. It came down to me and Rob Berry. He slipped on a walnut and fell, I cleared it. I won. I don't think Rob Berry ever forgave me. Slipping on a walnut was not reason for a do-over, long standing rules, kids would be neurotic about clearing out the walnuts before jumps. Poor Rob - but not really.

My other shining moment was in the conference track meet in high school. I usually ran about a 60 second split time for my leg of the mile relay (a quarter mile for each runner). We had an all state runner who ran anchor, I ran third leg. She told me, just give me the baton anywhere but last place and I'll take it from there. I got the baton in last place. Heading into the first curve I thought, just get the girl in front of me. On the back stretch I ate up 6 more girls to hand off the baton in second place. No way we were losing with our anchor, who ran the quarter mile in 51 seconds. My time? 58 flat.

Whoops ... I get Alaska and Arkansas confused when it comes to alliteration!

Perhaps the Arkansas Outlaws? Or am I getting that confused with Arizona?

Sorry,
    Lavabe
    Ah, so you recognized the subtle nod toward the Alaska residents who were offended by Trajan Langdon's nickname. That always cracked me up - they completely missed the point.

I'll have to think of a good nickname for the Arkansas posters. Maybe something relating to our status as the home state of Patrick Davidson? (I hear that Huckabee and Clinton are fighting for his endorsement...)

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "So, how are things in Arizona?" when someone sees the abbreviation for Arkansas (AR), I would be rich.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Ah, so you recognized the subtle nod toward the Alaska residents who were offended by Trajan Langdon's nickname. That always cracked me up - they completely missed the point.

I'll have to think of a good nickname for the Arkansas posters. Maybe something relating to our status as the home state of Patrick Davidson? (I hear that Huckabee and Clinton are fighting for his endorsement...)

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "So, how are things in Arizona?" when someone sees the abbreviation for Arkansas (AR), I would be rich.
    Well, at least I corrected the state's spelling on the RECRUITING GEOGRAPHY thread.

Having said that ... you should post there about PATRICK DAVIDSON.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

AD, how are things in Arizona? Warm this week? Still a dry heat? Haha...I'm cracking myself up here.

Actually, I was from AZ when I enrolled at Duke. There were two others from AZ my year. I was the first from my high school to go to Duke; I do know that a soccer player from my high school who played his first year at Indiana would play at Duke a few years(5 or 6 maybe) after I left.

Wow, your anchor was fast...I usually ran one of the middle legs. I could go decently quick(48+) but often didn't pay attention to what was going on. If you gave me a big lead, I all too often gave much of it up. And when I was behind I could close the distance or pull along side. I just didn't have the killer instinct it took to run the anchor(and was a few tenths too slow).

Well, at least I corrected the state's spelling on the RECRUITING GEOGRAPHY thread.

Having said that ... you should post there about PATRICK DAVIDSON.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Thanks for correcting. I already mentioned Patrick and Jordan Davidson in the Recruiting Geography thread. Had to correct a great wrong, you know. We wouldn't want Patrick Davidson's wrath to be unleashed - unless, of course, it's on Chris Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    AD, how are things in Arizona? Warm this week? Still a dry heat? Haha...I'm cracking myself up here.
    I'm not sure how things are in Arizona, but it's starting to cool off here in Arkansas. I think it's because all the heat is being pulled toward Chapel Hill. We all know why...

at the risk of venturing into politics...

I saw the following headline a couple of minutes ago: "Romney Declared Victor in Maine." Like, oh my gosh; when did Maine, like, get the power to change Romney's first name from Mitt to Victor? Will "Victor Romney" be more electable than "Mitt Romney"?

So - is Mitt his actual name or is that short for something else? I like Victor better.

Sports claim to fame - Got a bronze swimming butterfly and IM in 6th grade. (Just learned butterfly that summer.) Then we moved to Seoul with no swim team. There went my Olympic dream! My idea of a fun vacation is spending the week with family and friends riding our bicycles a couple hundred miles for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Wow, your anchor was fast...I usually ran one of the middle legs. I could go decently quick(48+) but often didn't pay attention to what was going on. If you gave me a big lead, I all too often gave much of it up. And when I was behind I could close the distance or pull along side. I just didn't have the killer instinct it took to run the anchor(and was a few tenths too slow).
    For 440 yards? Or 400m?

Yeah, I lacked that killer instinct too, except when running with a team. I wish I'd been better at a team sport.

Our anchor had the second fastest time for a female high schooler that year in the country. She went to Kentucky on a track scholarship but I think she never got significantly faster. Good enough to whoop ^$%^$%^$% in high school not quite good enough to take her beyond the next level. Will the mods let me say whoop ^$%^$%^$%? I think I talked about whoopin Katie Holmes before but maybe not her ^$%^$%^$%.

No more guesses on the theme of my new play?

It's SuperBowl day!

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    It's SuperBowl day!
    Umm, give it another hour.

My sports claims to fame stopped at the high school level, primarily b/c Duke didn't have a varsity crew team (no more fundraising for me!) and they got up waaaayyyy too early anyways.

But, my girls' varsity 8 did come in third in the high school nationals regatta; we made it to finals at the more prestigious Stotesbury Regatta (top 6 out of 48 boats isn't bad), and I was named a Washington Post All-Met rower my senior year.

Then I headed south, found beer, boys, and other basketball fans, and it was all downhill from there.

It was 400 meters and I was much closer to being at 49 than 48. And it was only once and most of my times were slower. Maybe sort of like Bob Beamon in the long jump in Mexico City. Magic kind of happened that one day. And I never got any faster.

So I guess my initial foray at your play was wrong...okay next try. Is it about how Dean Smith is actually the spawn of the devil?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Thanks for the incentive to add my avatar. Now there are shoes for the puppies to chew.
    My kittens enjoy shoes also...they beat them soundly with their rear paws while their heads are down inside. It is hilarious!

Sports Highlight

My sports highlight, as I recall, was "The Weakest Child" award in the first grade........

Actually, knocking a guy out in boxing class at Duke was probably the highlight......."The Weakest Child" would come in second to that.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Umm, give it another hour.
    The board is on Durham Standard Time.

This thread has been dormant for 3 hours and 3 minutes...just so y'all know.