Oenophiles take note

Europeans agree to overhaul wine industry

Old Europe revamped its wine industry Wednesday with a groundbreaking agreement certain to cause traditionalists to gag on their vintage Burgundies.

Changes include tearing up vast swaths of vineyards, getting rid of overly intricate labeling, and aggressively marketing to consumers around the world instead of relying on age-old reputations.
    Frankly, this is long overdue -- I'm relatively new to wine enjoyment, but try a new bottle nearly every week. I stay away from the French and Italian wines, mainly because it's confusing to me, I'm never sure what I'd actually be getting. I can compare Austrialian Syrah's; I know I love Old Vine Sonoma Zin's, but how the heck does a micro-appellation blend compare with another?

In a box

But will they sell it in a box?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

Frankly, this is long overdue -- I'm relatively new to wine enjoyment, but try a new bottle nearly every week. I stay away from the French and Italian wines, mainly because it's confusing to me, I'm never sure what I'd actually be getting. I can compare Austrialian Syrah's; I know I love Old Vine Sonoma Zin's, but how the heck does a micro-appellation blend compare with another?
    DevilAlumna, have you ever checked out wine.woot.com? It's a great hangout for oenophiles. They run a deal every week on a package of wines shipped directly from various wineries. It's a great chance for someone like me on the east coast to try out some new wineries we can't find over here. You may have better access to these wineries where you are, but you still might enjoy the good deals they have - and the flat $5 shipping is unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

What's a Syrah? I like Shiraz.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    What's a Syrah? I like Shiraz.
    Google is your friend.