Video Phone Systems

So I'm moving to Boston...but will be without my family for four months (I'll see them on the weekend, but not M-F). Does anyone know the best way to set up a computer monitor so you can have a video feed? Would love to be able to read my kids a book at night, and let them see my face (and me see theirs).

It looks like I'll be in a furnished apartment, or at an Extended Stay Motel - do you need to have broadband to use these things? Just want to make sure I know the specs that will be required.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Get webcams and talk for free via Windows Messenger or other IM tool. Broadband would be required.

You will need a broadband connection - we have DSL here for internet, and we can do video chats via the internet just fine. We use both skype and windows messenger, depending upon what the folks we're calling are using. Both have some limitations, but they work very well. I cannot stress how wonderful this technology is for keeping you very connected to someone far, far away. It's amazing.