Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Discussion Group For Academics

In another thread a few of us were discussing the fact that we would like to set up some sort of discussion venue for those of us who were/are academics. We thought it might be a good place to turn to for advice, encouragement, etc. This discussion is open to anyone who is currently in grad school and about to enter the academy, those who are already teaching in universities and colleges, those who have retired from teaching careers in higher education (they'll be a fountain of information), or anyone else who thinks they might benefit from the discussion. All are welcome.

For privacy reasons, we do not want this discussion to be searchable by the general public so we have decided to exchange email addresses through the PM feature here on DBR so that we can have our discussions through private email. I have therefore started this thread so that anyone who is interested can post to indicate their interest and we can then go through the process of exchanging email addresses privately.

Alright then, I'll be the first one to sign up. I'm in.

I'm in...

I will be glad to help in anyway I can. PM me if you think I might be able to help in some way.

Briefly:

Recently retired professor/psychology
    Experience with the in's and out's of research (basic and applied) and academic life in general
    Experience with Dissertations/Theses, etc.
    General research questions/issues
    Teaching issues
    Objective reader perhaps

The high points and low points of academia in general...

okie doke

Hey--I'm in.

But what's a PM?/how does one PM...yada yada yada, for the PM n00b.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    Hey--I'm in.

But what's a PM?/how does one PM...yada yada yada, for the PM n00b.
    When looking at a post, you may notice that the author's name is a hyperlink. Click on the name and a menu pops up that includes the option to "Send a private message to [poster name]". Selecting that option will allow you to send a message to that use that only they will be able to view.

For the larger group of academics as a whole, you might want to consider a Yahoo Group. You can create your own group and make it a private one, so that only invited folks may join, and there are a number of useful features that are relatively easy to use. It works well for me in different circumstances.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Someone tried to PM me..

but my popup got it.. Send again.

I think the idea of a Yahoo group might be a good one..once everyone gets settled on this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post

I think the idea of a Yahoo group might be a good one..once everyone gets settled on this.
    I had never considered a Yahoo group. It might just be the way to go. Maybe everyone can wiegh in on this and we can go by majority vote?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post

Unless you somehow or another managed to delete the PM, it should be in your Inbox.

When logged into the site here, there should be a box in the top right corner of the board area - just above the "Log Out" and "Quick Links" - that has your user name, when you last visited, and a link to your PM Inbox. It'll even tell you how many total and unread messages you have. Click on the link, and you'll go to your Inbox.

I believe regular users can store up to 50 messages in their Inboxes.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Yahoo ...o.k.

Yahoo specialized group sounds fine.

And thanks JB, I got the msg.

count me in!

I have teaching experience at the undergrad and graduate level, although I'm no longer in the game (sending out apps, though). Dukepsy1963, we may have one of those funky "it's a small world" connections. My former Provost was President of Brevard a few years ago.

Small world...

Indeed it is a small world... I live in Brevard now but taught for a couple of Universities elsewhere (U*&, can't say it!) and GMU in Fairfax, Va.

I'm in too, though I don't expect to be active (or even really around) on the boards in the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm in too, though I don't expect to be active (or even really around) on the boards in the last few days.
    Make that the next few days. My performance in the academic discussion has officially gotten off to a rousing start.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Make that the next few days. My performance in the academic discussion has officially gotten off to a rousing start.
    But you are Grant Hill right now and since he is having a great year with Phoenix, maybe that's an omen.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I had never considered a Yahoo group. It might just be the way to go. Maybe everyone can weigh in on this and we can go by majority vote?
    Try a Google Group instead of Yahoo. It seems to work better. I'm not an academic so I won't be a part of it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Try a Google Group instead of Yahoo. It seems to work better. I'm not an academic so I won't be a part of it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure we're all going to be busy over the next few days so we can set this up after Christmas and go from there.