(Really) Bad Foul Shooting

I read Barry Jacobs’ chart on Bad Free Throw Shooting since 2000. Based on this chart, the “Mendoza Line” is .406. Well, as listed below, there are several players this year who are below the “Mendoza Line”. I expect the shooting percentages to improve as the season progresses but these youngsters are really awful from the foul line.

Smith (Wake) .167
    Thompson (UNC) .200
    Stepheson (UNC) .313
    Sanders (BC) .368
    Hammonds (Clem.) .375

I guess we know who to foul late in the game against the Heels. I am astounded that point guards, Smith and Hammonds, as well as Degand and Thorns who only shoot 50% of their foul shots are playing in the ACC. The worst foul shooters on Duke are King at 50% and Nelson at 59.1%.

gw67

Wow, that is quite pathetic. I thought Henderson going to the line was an adventure.

Smile Jacobs missed the worst of all time...

... if you also count style points.

Duke Center Chris Burgess was 26 for 77 in 1998 for 33.7%, worse than any Jacobs listed (which admittedly started with 2000). He rallied for 38 for 70 in 1999 (54.3%) and had an abysmal career average of 43.5%. He decided to transfer after his sophomore year, but probably not because the FT instruction was deficient.

But more to the point, Burgess shot FTs while falling backwards. The worst shooting form I have ever seen at a major program.

sagegrouse

‘The degradation and outright destruction of sagebrush areas has already greatly reduced the historic range of this big grouse, and continued habitat disturbance could result in this species' listing as a federally threatened or endangered species.’