Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    You guys are killing me...
    ...and he gets a wide open look to dunk on the big stage to put the final nail in the coffin of a bitter rival.
    Sorry, Wheat, but the coffin was not only already nailed closed, it was in the ground and had several shovelsful of dirt on it already.
    ....he simply played hard 'till the buzzer sounded.
    This was no "playing hard." He wasn't even playing the GAME. The game was already over. It was an overt display of disrespect to the NC State program and its fans.
    It would have been fine if he pulled it back out too, no big deal either way.
    It would have been the right thing to do to pull it back out. It would have displayed respect for the game of basketball and for their opponents in the ACC championship game. JMHO. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I'm really not trying to harp on him here.......but I wonder if realizes that the tv camera is glued to face during ever deadball situation. Therefore, every time he says to the ref...." That's BS" it goes directly into the living room of who knows how many people. I am a coach and I know how frustrated I get during games sometimes, but if I were Div.1 coach and knew my games were being televised I would at least try and keep it in check. Ol' Roy over in the DeanDome ain't much better. (since we're on the topic)
    From what I've seen on TV, most players and most coaches swear on the court. I agree that it's bad that they do so, and wish that they would stop, even though it doesn't bother me personally. I am on the side of the many who bring their children to the games or watch it on TV with them. However, I also understand how they swear in the heat of the moment, as I do it while playing as well (although more often when surprised than because I did something well).

On that note, I have always liked that Duke doesn't try to get the last basket when they're up at the end of a game, and think that Lawson should have just dribbled out the clock. However, he is young and his team was clinching the #1 seed in the ACC tourney by beating their rival for the season sweep. I can understand his desire to celebrate.
    Last edited by Clipsfan; 03-13-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Apparently the State thread (linked here previously) made the local news (Greensboro-Triad area). I'm guessing people were more than just taken aback by all the racial slurs and threats of lynching Lawson and there's talk about investingating some of the posters. Hopefully nobody quoted any scenes from American Psycho

rsvman,
    I'm sorry guys, but this high road of respect and we're better than you because we wouldn't do it attitude just doesn't pass the smell test here.
    If the game was considered over on the court, somebody forgot to tell State to stop attacking the basket when the steal occured. How come no-one seems to mention that State could have held the ball those last ten seconds and the steal/dunk would have never happened?
    I'm a competitor, and if I am in that same situation, a quick surprise steal from a driving opponent and kick out pass with an open look at the goal...hyped up in my first ACC Championship game..roaring crowd...I'm dunking it too. (If I could
    And I would expect my opponent, State, Duke, whoever... to do the same in that situation if they can create the opportunity.
    It's not about lack of respect, it's about competition. I think its been pretty clear from Roy and numerous player quotes State had their respect. And they have mine for the way they played this year.
    This is really a non issue, or should be, IMO.
    If the dunk makes them mad in that situation, so be it. It's a game and thats why we have rivalries. My attitude is try to bring it into the lane again... and when we steal it again, I'll go for the off the backboard tomahawk windmill 360 lovetron special next time to close it out...if I could

Wheat/"/"/"
    "Will not defend the foulmouthed scream"

No, it is just a matter of class, or lack thereof. I think UNC and Roy Williams lack class. Period.

Sorry I didn't see the NCState game... but maybe, this uproar on Lawson has as much to do with his "antics" in the camera after the dunk... (my $0.02)

'Ol Roy quotes...
    ..."You also have to be really proud of NC State and admire and respect what they did. Coming to play for four days was phenomenal..."

"...somebody will really have a hard time telling me there are 65 teams in the country better than the five lowest seeded teams in this league when you watch what North Carolina State did. If they have Engin Atsur the whole year, they're probably an NCAA Tournament team themselves. They beat North Carolina, Virginia Tech three times, Duke once, Virginia ... so they're good."

Reyshawn Terry..."Coming into the game we knew they were a little tired, but we knew they weren’t going to give up and it was going to be a dog fight."

Wheat/"/"/"
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 03-13-2007 at 10:39 PM.

why are you talking about this? back away from the keyboard...

...please!