Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Like, say, screaming "F*** YEAH!!" at the top of his lungs at the crowd and camera right after said dunk?

I was thinking more along the lines of running out to center court and striking a superstar pose on the other team's emblem. I know its UNC and we're quick to point out their flaws to UNC fans who love to wear the albatross around their necks, but I think we're reading into this a bit much.

Actually Redick did make a superstar pose during last years ACC tournament after making a 3 against BC. You have to watch out condemning one player for said action when one of your own can be just as guilty. Reminds me of how Chicago Bears fans jumped on Reggie Bush's case for taunting during that TD run but conveniently ignored that Hester had dome the same crap earlier in the season.

Lawson's dunk

For those of you comparing Henderson's "hard" foul to Lawson's dunk at the end of a game, get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    You are correct. You guys are blowing a small thing out of proportion. Let's nitpick all the little things we can find about UNC. I thought that their coach was pretty gracious toward Coach Lowe for the job he's done.
    Thanks for your reasonable comments. Come on guys, give Lawson a break. He isn't 7 feet tall and just want to prove he could dunk. He had been called out on his ability to do it and probably wanted to prove he could. Also, he was a freshman elated to win his 1st ACC Tournament. Maybe not the smartest thing he could have done, but is it any more classless than the posters on here that call Carolina "Tar Heels" and say we lack class and sportsmanship? I have seen K have his starters in late in games that Duke was winning by 20-30 points. That is his decision to make...would you call K classless for it?

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Like, say, screaming "F*** YEAH!!" at the top of his lungs at the crowd and camera right after said dunk?
    If you think that is so awful, you better talk to your coach about his potty mouth captured by the tv cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by vsmkch View Post
    If you think that is so awful, you better talk to your coach about his potty mouth captured by the tv cameras.
    I'm guessing that's why he's had a hand strategically placed over his mouth about 80% of the time he's been on the sidelines for, oh, about the past decade.

You guys are killing me...
    We have a freshman, all fired up in the late stages of a good game for an ACC championship, and he gets a wide open look to dunk on the big stage to put the final nail in the coffin of a bitter rival. He doesen't posture, or taunt, or otherwise make any overt attempt to disrespect State, he simply played hard 'till the buzzer sounded.
    Just the day before during the BC game, I seem to remember a UNC walkon showing just the respect you accuse UNC of not showing, holding the ball and not attempting a shot as time expired in a game that was really over...when you know the kid would have loved to be in the books as scoring in an ACC tournament game.
    If we had kept trying to score there, you guys would have had something to talk about.
    Lawson was in a bang-bang play late, (as was the Hans/G play,BTW)... he didn't premeditate dunking on a team that had their hands in their pockets, while waiting for the clock to expire as people are trying to make it seem. State was still playing hard.
    It would have been fine if he pulled it back out too, no big deal either way.
    Lets move on and just play...nothing to see here.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 03-12-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    He doesen't posture, or taunt, or otherwise make any overt attempt to disrespect State, he simply played hard 'till the buzzer sounded.

Wheat/"/"/"
    Rare to find myself disagreeing with Wheat, but TL did scream into the crowd after his dunk a word that the DBR filters won't allow me to print. I find that both disrespectful and taunting. What made it surprising is not that it happened, that stuff happens all to often in college Bball. What makes it surprising is that it happened by a member of UNC's team - a team that is usually above such stuff.

AM,
    I didn't see Lawson do anything after the dunk...I was watching on crappy espn360 on the computer since it was blacked out around here and I could have missed it. But if he did do as you say, I have no doubt that Roy will point out that is unacceptable behavior and will deal with it internally.
    I stand by the account of the play as being bang-bang and and not a premeditated show of disrespect.
    Wheat/"/"/"

Sorry...

I often see your side of things wheat, but please stop calling this a "bang bang" play. A so-called bang bang play is a almost a split second, or reaction. TL got the ball at 1/2 court and set himself up with skips and positioning as if he was in a slam dunk contest. With no one in pursuit.

The steal followed by the quick outlet took less than 5 seconds before the conclusion of the dunk...call it what you will...I maintain it was more of a reaction situation and not a deliberate attempt to show up State.
    Wheat/"/"/"

bang bang

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    AM,
    I didn't see Lawson do anything after the dunk...I was watching on crappy espn360 on the computer since it was blacked out around here and I could have missed it. But if he did do as you say, I have no doubt that Roy will point out that is unacceptable behavior and will deal with it internally.
    I stand by the account of the play as being bang-bang and and not a premeditated show of disrespect.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    One might argue that it was youthful exuberance and not knowing what to do at the end of a big win- but it was not bang bang. I would also suggest that TH's play was also not bang bang. He grabs the ball, bends and dips between the two Duke players before elevating. That took 1.5-2 seconds. That might seem bang-bang but that is a long time to consider options like kicking out to a wide open teammate above the three point line with no defender within 15 feet- to dribble out the time.

The TL play was not awful but it was done with the intent to celebrate with something short of a chest thump. It did generate some ugly racist responses on some wolfpack websites though which are totally unacceptable. I doubt that Roy will do much about this or have to apologize for it.

Meh, I'm inclined to be significantly pleased by this action by Ty Lawson. All it does draw unnecessary fury and anger into a one-sided rivalry. Perhaps it will motivate NCSU to defend themselves. Or just be pwned by UNC.

i would dunk it too

whatever. if i was a freshman point guard on a team favored to win it all and was about to win the tournament of the best friggin' conference in the land i would totally dunk at the end of the game. it has nothing to do with class. it has everything to do with the adrenaline and testosterone of a TEENAGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Costner's a pretty big guy. Hopefully, he beat the sh** out of him in the tunnel. Only kidding, but it was a sad display of zero class from Lawson. Dribble the ball down the court and throw it into the air like every other team in the nation does to end a game they've clearly won. I don't mean to sound like we are above everyone else or anything but you would never see one of our players drive in for a showmanship dunk in the final seconds of a clear win. Never.

BTW, I believe I saw Roy fist pumping after Lawson slammed it, as if to say, "take that, bit**es." Good ole Roy at his best.
    UNC did the same in season final vs Duke- kept scoring when game was in hand- last shot of game leading by 16- under 4 secounds was a 3 pointer- Roy Williams has no class

Quote Originally Posted by vsmkch View Post
    I've never condoned K's potty mouth.

I think it's his worst attribute and I wish he'd quit. Josh, too.

I agree......

I'm no saint, but I've heard a couple of coaches talking about going to his clinic and they said they couldn't hardly bear it because there was so much profanity.

I love Coach K, but if he preaches class......practice what you preach. You can get the point across without all the GD's and FBombs.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I'm no saint, but I've heard a couple of coaches talking about going to his clinic and they said they couldn't hardly bear it because there was so much profanity.

I love Coach K, but if he preaches class......practice what you preach. You can get the point across without all the GD's and FBombs.
    For goodness sake he said the F word when I was at his camp.

Not his adult camp...his YOUTH camp. I don't mind the guy using a little bit of profanity here and there (in the locker room, in practice), but to do it in public and on national TV is inexcusable.

Exacty

I'm really not trying to harp on him here.......but I wonder if realizes that the tv camera is glued to face during ever deadball situation. Therefore, every time he says to the ref...." That's BS" it goes directly into the living room of who knows how many people. I am a coach and I know how frustrated I get during games sometimes, but if I were Div.1 coach and knew my games were being televised I would at least try and keep it in check. Ol' Roy over in the DeanDome ain't much better. (since we're on the topic)

Mmm Bojangles!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I think it is the Bojangles biscuit mentality. Score 100 points get gree biscuits. Free biscuits have taken the place of sportsmanship. I hope that when other coaches decide to sell out they gets a better price than a free sausage biscuit.
    I'd Chris Paul a teammate for a cajun filet biscuit.