Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68
  1. #1

    Lawson Dunk = No Class

    Gutty, gutty effort bu State today. UNC got ahead, and got bored. They seem to have a pretty weak mental team.

    Lawson's dunk at the end just riled me up. When you're playing a team with much worse talent who stays with you from pure heart, it's just not sportsmanlike to dunk there.

    In the rare times I've seen a Duke player score in the last minute when it was not 100% necessary with the shot clock, I've always thought "Oh, he's going to get it from Coach K." Somehow I doubt the Heels ever have that worry.

    On a side note, NC State may not have 'earned' their way into the field this year, but wow, they could've fooled me this weekend-- they looked like a 3 seed. (Which also makes me feel better about our loss to them Thursday)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Lawson's dunk at the end just riled me up. When you're playing a team with much worse talent who stays with you from pure heart, it's just not sportsmanlike to dunk there.
    As if anyone is surprised.

  3. #3

    He will not be criticized for it

    Quote Originally Posted by drion97 View Post
    Gutty, gutty effort bu State today. UNC got ahead, and got bored. They seem to have a pretty weak mental team.

    Lawson's dunk at the end just riled me up. When you're playing a team with much worse talent who stays with you from pure heart, it's just not sportsmanlike to dunk there.

    In the rare times I've seen a Duke player score in the last minute when it was not 100% necessary with the shot clock, I've always thought "Oh, he's going to get it from Coach K." Somehow I doubt the Heels ever have that worry.

    On a side note, NC State may not have 'earned' their way into the field this year, but wow, they could've fooled me this weekend-- they looked like a 3 seed. (Which also makes me feel better about our loss to them Thursday)
    Remember Roy plays every possession. UNC once was able to score 8 pts in 17 sec against Duke. Anything can happen. I am sure State had a big run left with a second left. Of course he did try that with no one under the hoop.
    dukelifer

  4. #4
    Totally agree about the Lawson dunk being unnecessary. I don't think we'd ever do that, probably just throw the ball up in the air, if that even. Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone has saved that image of Hansbrough made to look like either the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man or the Pillsbury Doughboy (I forget which it was). It was posted on the old board but it's gone now. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Poor sportsmanship, pure and simple. Nobody guarding you; game conceded. Not only did he have to make a basket, but he had to make show-boating basket, followed by screaming "F#*# yeah!" as plain as day so my kids could see it.

    Thanks for the nice display of class.

  6. #6

    How many articles will be written?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Poor sportsmanship, pure and simple. Nobody guarding you; game conceded. Not only did he have to make a basket, but he had to make show-boating basket, followed by screaming "F#*# yeah!" as plain as day so my kids could see it.

    Thanks for the nice display of class.
    We all know now how spoiled and privileged Duke players and the Coach K should apologize in public for every mistake a player makes- regardless of intent. But I am sure Roy will not even be called on it by the Media and this will even make Sportcenter as a highlight without even a mention.
    dukelifer

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toledo
    Costner's a pretty big guy. Hopefully, he beat the sh** out of him in the tunnel. Only kidding, but it was a sad display of zero class from Lawson. Dribble the ball down the court and throw it into the air like every other team in the nation does to end a game they've clearly won. I don't mean to sound like we are above everyone else or anything but you would never see one of our players drive in for a showmanship dunk in the final seconds of a clear win. Never.

    BTW, I believe I saw Roy fist pumping after Lawson slammed it, as if to say, "take that, bit**es." Good ole Roy at his best.
    Last edited by Cameron; 03-11-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    "Duke is a once in a lifetime opportunity and something you don't pass up on." -Amile Jefferson

  8. #8
    When I saw Lawson's in your face dunk I thought to myself that it was pretty bush. Didn't know how many other people would agree. It's just typical. You dribble the game out at that point and you shake hands. "Act like you've been there before" Tar Heels".

  9. #9
    Come on, people, be reasonable. I think the Tar Heels should be forgiven for not knowing how to act when they win an ACC Championship game. After all, it's been 9 years since they experienced the thrill...

    Stray ~~~;~~;~

  10. #10
    I've only watched the end of about 3 UNC games this year, and in two of them they show questionable sportsmanship in trying to score in the very closing seconds. Does anyone have a sense if they've done this before? Is it a pattern? Is it Roy? Or was it just that Hansblahblah is a tool and Lawson is a short guy desperate to prove he can dunk?

    I do wonder had it been a Duke player if it'd be on PTI tomorrow-- the smallest little things about Duke have just been blown so out of proportion...

  11. #11

    I just has a vision

    UNC is in the elite 8 trying to go the final four. Winthrop is up 1 with 5 seconds left and at the line. Heels have no time outs. Winthrop misses the throw- Lawson breaks for the hoop. Hansblah throws the outlet. Lawson goes for the dunk instead of the layup- hits it off the front iron- he falls to the floor and Winthrop advances. I wonder what he would be saying then.
    dukelifer

  12. #12
    You are correct. You guys are blowing a small thing out of proportion. Let's nitpick all the little things we can find about UNC. I thought that their coach was pretty gracious toward Coach Lowe for the job he's done.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Come on, people, be reasonable. I think the Tar Heels should be forgiven for not knowing how to act when they win an ACC Championship game. After all, it's been 9 years since they experienced the thrill...

    Stray ~~~;~~;~
    Amen!!!!!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    ah - irony
    is lost on the holes

    Jim

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    It is not small!

    It is respect for the game and for the other team.
    If K condone that, I would lose respect for him.

    Jim

  16. #16

    Not small

    I realize that it can be easy to nitpick other teams and protect Duke on this board, but I disagree that this is something small. A dunk like that is says much about sportsmanship.
    I guarentee you a guy who gutted it out like Costner didn't like it. And I think anyone who has played sports and who is competitive would be rubbed wrong by it.

    It's not about unwritten rules, or what a team should do, it's just about respect for the opponent and the game.

  17. #17

    Nitpick

    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    You are correct. You guys are blowing a small thing out of proportion. Let's nitpick all the little things we can find about UNC. I thought that their coach was pretty gracious toward Coach Lowe for the job he's done.
    Everyone is a bit sensitive about the circus around Henderson and a play that was generated by a UNC player deciding that trying to score in the last 8 seconds was a better decision than holding the ball. Lawson's dunk was another such play. Duke an K are publicly criticized for not suspending Henderson for his unintentional foul for more games while UNC can show little respect for an opponent at the end of game without even a mention. This is really just blowing off steam because this will not be discussed at all by Doyle or others who enjoy nitpicking everything a Duke player does.
    dukelifer

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Yeah but -


    He doesn't yell at at opposition players as he rubs their nose in the fact that they have just been beaten

    Jim

  19. #19

    Language

    Quote Originally Posted by Drebly1 View Post
    deleted post
    Well at least he does not use the language in end of game interviews on National TV.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 03-11-2007 at 11:35 PM.
    dukelifer

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Allawah, NSW Australia (near Sydney)

    we are better than this

    we sound like a bunch of whiney little brats on this thread. C'mon, so some jerk from 8 miles down the road dunked on somebody when it was irrelevant. Seriously, who cares? Go watch the awesome Big 12 champ. game going on and leave this irrelevant "incident" alone.

Similar Threads

  1. Greatest Dunk Ever
    By DukieBoy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 02:33 PM
  2. Lawson = Boozer?
    By DukeCO2009 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
  3. Corey Maggette Dunk?
    By fuse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
  4. Gerald Henderson Dunk Photo
    By Shammrog in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM
  5. Kyle Singler slam dunk footage
    By MailTribune in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •