Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting fans

Visiting fans

I think it is easy for us regulars to take CIS for granted. But last night, I was leaving Cameron after the post-games, the interviews, and what-not, an hour after the game ended, and there were still Albany fans on the floor, taking pictures, milling about, just enjoying being at Cameron.

This happens all the time. Eastern Kentucky, New Mexico State, even "big-time" programs like Wisconsin. You can see how delighted visiting fans are to actually be at a place they've seen so many times over the years on TV. We talk about Duke hatred or Duke bias or whatever and I don't deny that it exists. But people really, really like Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Albany fans

This is a great opportunity for me to point out that yeah, all the Albany fans were great, obviously enjoying themselves... except for the two guys behind me in line for the first floor band-side men's room who were commenting on how long the line was and how the sink would work just as well as a urinal...

Anyway, I'm sure they meant it in jest and not as a way of disrespecting the hallowed grounds. All in all the Albany fans seemed genuinely happy to be there.

I had the good fortune of attending the game last night. This was probably my 8th or 9th game in Cameron is the past 3 or 4 years. I live a little over 2 hours from CIS and I relesh every opportunity to be in attendance. I am still in awe every time I am in the arena and I try to take every chance to soak up the atmosphere as best I can.

I only hope all of the Irondukes appreciate what they have and try to attend every game. I know most of them do, but it really stinks to look on Ebay at all those tickets selling for astronomical amounts when true fans who would cheer like crazy are stuck watching at home.

I know it's not a perfect world but it sure would be nice if people who sold or gave their tickets away would try to make sure that the person sitting in their seats really has a passion for Duke and truly wants to be there to cheer on their team.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    This is a great opportunity for me to point out that yeah, all the Albany fans were great, obviously enjoying themselves... except for the two guys behind me in line for the first floor band-side men's room who were commenting on how long the line was and how the sink would work just as well as a urinal...
    This reminds me of the funniest thing I ever overheard in a men's room at a sporting event, at the ACC Tournament a few years back:

"You can tell Clempsun's not playin', cuz no one's peeing in the sink."

Spoken in a strong Southern accent... maybe you had to be there.

jimsumner,

this is an excellent point and as a student, i noticed the same thing about cameron; say why you want about duke but in the end, when you're here, you see that it really is a very special place.

cameron breathes.

dth.

Very few "ancient" basketball arenas left. Cameron certainly can lay claim as one of best in the world.

I've seen well over 100 games there, and I am never surprised, when, at some point, I get goosebumps just thinking about the history of the place and the players and coaches that have walked through the doors.

How many "Indoor Stadium"s are there? It's just a name, but it adds to the mystique of the place.

We're not supposed to pee in the sinks?? Uh Oh!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post

Anyway, I'm sure they meant it in jest and not as a way of disrespecting the hallowed grounds. All in all the Albany fans seemed genuinely happy to be there.
    I have shared their sentiment many a time in CIS

My funniest peeing in a sink story has to be freshman year when I was at Parizade's and I walk into the bathroom to find Shav letting it flow right into the sink. Well as I saw this, so did the bouncer standing right outside the bathroom door who immediately jumped into the bathroom to do something about it...until he realized Shav was 6'10", and then he just turned around and went back to his post.

Why the hell was Shav pissing in a sink?

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    We're not supposed to pee in the sinks?? Uh Oh!
    Not in Cameron, but it is hard to stop the masses in Wallace Wade. Oh, wait, it's been a while since we've had masses in WW. That, and the bathrooms, will be different next season!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Yeah, I definitely noticed a lot of Albany folks hanging around. I've come to expect it from out-of-conference opponents.

After the game a couple Albany players and several fans/family ended up at the same restaurant where King Taylor and G were eating. Everyone was cordial; the Albany guys in particular seemed in good spirits despite getting drubbed by 41. Nice to see kids recognize it's just a game and enjoy their special experience.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Not in Cameron, but it is hard to stop the masses in Wallace Wade. Oh, wait, it's been a while since we've had masses in WW. That, and the bathrooms, will be different next season!
    Hey, the sinks in WW look alot like urinals and, with so few people in the stadium, I'm sure foks haven't realized they'd peed in the sink until they started looking for a place to wash their hands.

I saw some of the women from Utah Valley on press row after the game last night taking pictures.

Cameron Indoor Stadium means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    How many "Indoor Stadium"s are there? It's just a name, but it adds to the mystique of the place.
    I think Singapore has the only other one.

I saw some of the women from Utah Valley on press row after the game last night taking pictures.
    They were given great seats too, right behind the basket where DUMB used to be. And my my my, did they have some fine looking players...

Singapore's Indoor Stadium can only pale by comparison, I'd think. We don't have a copyright on the nomenclature?

Cameron

I'm from Long Island, and a huge Duke fan, so I see them everytime they come up (I'll be at Cameron Square Garden for DUKE-PITT). I had the chance last year to see Duke- San Jose St. on New Years Eve at CIS(my sister got me the tickets for my 21st birthday). To this day she won't tell me how much she spent on them on stubhub, but regardless of the price, it was a priceless experience that I hope to one day take my children to. I hung out for about 1hr-1.5hrs after the game soaking the whole place in, taking pictures, sitting where the crazies sit- it was great. I even got to meet McRoberts, Paulus, and Scheyer. It was an AMAZING experience, and let all the haters hate, but you get shivers when you walk into Cameron- atleast me and my sister did.

You all make CIS sound like WW Stadium with all this talk of restrooms etc. Do we need to replace both?

Having Been Both An Albany and Duke Alum...

I can resonate with the feelings of people who are coming from a school, like Albany to a place like Duke; it is not just Cameron Indoor Stadium they are seeing but the basketball "force" they are experiencing.

Many of the kids at Albany come from downstate where college basketball takes a back seat to the plethora of pro sports that take up the airwaves and newspapers throughout the year, and even during the NCAA tournament. If you are a college basketball fan, you do not understand what it is like to live in a place where college basketball is discussed year round. You don't realize that there are people who have any idea what school is recruiting what athlete for their team. There is an entire subculture there that is ready to feed any college basketball fan, if only they knew it was there.

To show up for a day, read the local newspaper, see the basketball discussion dominate the sports reports, gives a hint at something that any basketball fan from a school like Albany really could only dream about. That makes you want to savor every sliver of it you can before departing.

Coming into the triangle from Albany was basketball culture shock. At least for me, I came down at the beginning of a semester and not just before a big game (with tickets near the floor).

Larry
    DevilHorse

Going in the other direction, from the Triangle area to upstate NY, is to experience serious hoops withdrawal. Miss the food and decent spring weather too.