Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutcliffe takes no time to start recruiting...

David Cutcliffe has taken no time to get Duke's name in the mind of one of the nation's top QB prospects. Sean Renfree, formally committed to GT, was offered a scholarship by Cutcliffe. Renfree is the 16th rated QB by Scout.com and would be a great addition to the Duke football team. I am very impressed with Cutcliffe. He seems to be really enthusiastic about the Duke program.

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    David Cutcliffe has taken no time to get Duke's name in the mind of one of the nation's top QB prospects. Sean Renfree, formally committed to GT, was offered a scholarship by Cutcliffe. Renfree is the 16th rated QB by Scout.com and would be a great addition to the Duke football team. I am very impressed with Cutcliffe. He seems to be really enthusiastic about the Duke program.
    Do you actually mean formally? Or did you intend to say formerly?

I know people decommit all the time, but I would think there have to be rules against offering scholarships to people who have given formal commitments to other schools.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Do you actually mean formally? Or did you intend to say formerly?

I know people decommit all the time, but I would think there have to be rules against offering scholarships to people who have given formal commitments to other schools.
    Verbal commitments aren't binding. LOI's can't be signed by football players until February. So I guess you could say that he was formerly formally verbally committed
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Verbal commitments aren't binding. LOI's can't be signed by football players until February. So I guess you could say that he was formerly formally verbally committed
    But is it common practice among football coaches to actually offer schollys to players who have made verbal commitments to other schools? My impression in basketball was always that a verbal wasn't binding until the LOI (Nov. of Senior year, IIRC), but that once a verbal was made, coaches wouldn't offer (or even really recruit) the player unless he de-committed. Is the practice different for football?
    Last edited by pfrduke; 12-16-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Grant Hill - sweeeeeeet!!!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

He de-committed from Ga tech

Sean Renfree de-committed from Georgia Tech on December 8 because of the Johnson hire.

"Georgia Tech recently fired Chan Gailey — the coach that recruited Renfree — and hired Navy’s Paul Johnson, a coach known for his triple-option offense. Renfree is a pcoket passer. 'It’s not a passing offense,' Bemis [Renfree's high school coach] said. 'It doesn’t suit him at all.' "

http://varsity.evtrib.com/story/103722

Ironic that the coach Duke initially wanted scared him away, and now we are offering him a scholarship apparently. Obviously, the de-commitment occurred before Cutcliffe became coach. According to scout.com, he now has no interest at all in Ga Tech, and has scheduled visits next yr with Boise St and Nebraska. Also, has interest from Az, Az st, oregon st, and stanford.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2789796

According to scout.com, Winfree has not committed to Ga Tech, but he has been offered. Tech has only 7 committed recruits.

Another link

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sh...oses_quar.html

“Sean thinks Paul Johnson is a very good coach, who has a very good record,” Renfree’s father Kevin Renfree said Sunday night. “But Sean’s style is not suited to that [run-oriented] offense.

“If Sean stays healthy, he hopes to play beyond college. And being an option quarterback is not going to help him prepare for that next level.”

Yet another link

This article mentions Cutcliffe calling Renfree up and offering him a scholarship:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2007/dec/16/1217hooker/

"Renfree said early last week that Cutcliffe wasn’t ready to offer a scholarship to UT and was still evaluating Renfree. There’s no such deliberation at Duke. “He called me within a couple of hours when he took the job and offered me a scholarship to come to Duke,” Renfree said. Renfree seemed hesitant to enter a rebuilding situation, which will be the case at Duke. Still, Cutcliffe made a strong pitch. “He said he can assure me he’ll have one of the best (coaching staffs) in the nation,” Renfree said. “He mentioned a couple of pro guys are going to be on the staff but I don’t remember any names or specifics.”

Renfree said he’s unsure if the Vols will continue to pursue him."

“I don’t know if they’ll follow through and stick with me or if Coach Cutcliffe will just try get me to go to Duke,” Renfree said. “I’d definitely still consider Tennessee. I love that school. Coach Fulmer is one of the best coaches in the country and it’s still one of best schools in the SEC.”

Looks like he's going to have a good staff with him! If I copied and pasted too much of the article and this is considered a copyright violation, mods please remove some of it, and accept my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    But is it common practice among football coaches to actually offer schollys to players who have made verbal commitments to other schools? My impression in basketball was always that a verbal wasn't binding until the LOI (Nov. of Senior year, IIRC), but that once a verbal was made, coaches wouldn't offer (or even really recruit) the player unless he de-committed. Is the practice different for football?
    Yes, it is common practice. Football and basketball are very different animals. It really seems "commitments" mean nothing and all the drama occurs on National Signing Day in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    According to scout.com, Winfree has not committed to Ga Tech, but he has been offered. Tech has only 7 committed recruits.
    That is because he decommitted from GT. GT has not withdrawn its scholarship offer, so it only reads now that he's been offered a scholarship. It had read "Committed to Georgia Tech" before he decided to reconsider his options.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I didn't know that he decommitted...

I meant formally... but should have read the article more carefully and discovered that he was formerly a commit. Oh well. I am still extremely impressed with Cutcliffe. LGD!

Here's to hoping that with Coach Cutcliffe this will be the first of many threads on this board following star football recruits for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    But can you say it 5 times quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    he was formerly formally verbally committed
    But can you say it 5 times quickly
    Heck no!!!!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I wish...

that we could just take the whole Manning family on recruiting trips

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colu.../75-907220.cfm

"I'd love to come to a Duke game," Archie Manning said.
    "Cut, for the last 20 years, has been one of the best offensive minds in the college game," Manning said. "I mean, when he calls a play, it's got a heck of a chance of working. And he's exciting. He brings energy to a football game. Kids want to play for Cut."
    "Let me say this," Archie Manning said, "I'm sure glad my sons played for Cut."
    I'm so excited, I going to go sit in my seat at WW until the fall

Well, there's your proof, I guess . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    that we could just take the whole Manning family on recruiting trips

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colu.../75-907220.cfm
    If Archie Manning calls him "Coach Cut" then that would appear to be an acceptable nickname - right?

happens a lot

greg little, from durham and the guy who beat duke in OT, had committed to notre dame before butch davis arrived at unc. there are many, many coaches who continue to contact kids until they actually sign LOI.

Well

he knows him so well, he just calls him Cut. Until then, we still call him Coach Cut

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by bill brill View Post
    greg little, from durham and the guy who beat duke in OT, had committed to notre dame before butch davis arrived at unc. there are many, many coaches who continue to contact kids until they actually sign LOI.
    It seems that the recruiting culture in football is much much different than it is in hoops. What to they do in other (the so-called "non-revenue") sports? Are there signing days and blackout periods and all the other stuff that goes along with revenue sport recruiting - or does each sport have its own culture?

(honestly, this is post mostly to reach 100 posts, but I'm genuinely interested . . . )

Good catch . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    he knows him so well, he just calls him Cut. Until then, we still call him Coach Cut
    Good catch.