Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Realistic Expectations for Coach Cut

First of all I am delighted with the new coach. I have been critical of JA and also President Brodhead but think that the process was well done and the outcome excellent.

However I am afraid that we may get carried away. While I would love to see it, a complete turnaround in results on the football field may be a few years away. I guess Tedford turned Cal around his first year but he may have had the benefit of recruiting some JC players to help him. Coach Cutcliffe will be installing his offense with players recruited by someone else. I also think that our OL will be inexperienced.

My first expectation is that we win all of the games that we should win. We outplayed UNC-CH this year and lost and there were other games that we should have won and did not. Coach Cutcliffe says the kicking game is a top priority and I am very happy for that.

My next expectation is that we play smart well coached football. Even though we won, we let NW have too much time when the ball for the last possession. The end of the half against Notre Dame was horrible.

I am also looking for an exciting offense that pulls a big upset or two.

I hope that the recruiting, which has improved, will improve further.

I don't want to say something like 4 wins or a 500 season. I think that lots of wins and better than 500 seasons are on the way, may take a while however.

SoCal

It will take time. But my first expectation is that regardless of the score, the quality of the actual football played will be much better. Once you can stop covering your eyes, you will enjoy his team play.

UNrealistic Expectations for Coach Cut

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I also think that our OL will be inexperienced.
    Our OL will not be inexperienced next year. We had 5 guys start the last 2 years, and only the center leaves via graduation. The other 4 guys will be back. OL will be one of our most experienced parts. Hopefully, Coach Cut will discover that they can run well enough to execute his playbook.

As for my expectations, I never expect us to lose a game. Ever. Why play it if you don't think you can win. And I think Cut would agree with me on that, and will have his players believing it too. Sometimes, the other team beats you, but never expect to lose. That is one reason I predict 13 - 0 and 39 - 0 records for us. Why hope for less?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Our OL will not be inexperienced next year. We had 5 guys start the last 2 years, and only the center leaves via graduation. The other 4 guys will be back. OL will be one of our most experienced parts. Hopefully, Coach Cut will discover that they can run well enough to execute his playbook.

As for my expectations, I never expect us to lose a game. Ever. Why play it if you don't think you can win. And I think Cut would agree with me on that, and will have his players believing it too. Sometimes, the other team beats you, but never expect to lose. That is one reason I predict 13 - 0 and 39 - 0 records for us. Why hope for less?
    I agree 100% Ozzie...you truly are a paradigm for optimism!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Ahhhhh...

You got to love it

We're probably going to get beat up some next year but I'm excited nonetheless . Cutcliffe's SEC background with two good programs is the type of pedigree that can attract recruits, especially quarterbacks. I'm going to make sure to check out Duke at a couple of WW games next season (though I would have done that for Roof anyway).

Here's hoping Ted Roof gets picked up by someone as an assistant soon, if he hasn't already.

Duke would have won 3-4 games this season with competent special teams.

Duke's 2008 schedule is significantly easier than the 2007 schedule and you can count the number of truly significant graduation loses on one hand.

If Duke can solve the special-teams woes and it Cutcliffe and staff are the upgrade that most think they are, well, I think we can see a fair number of wins on the horizon right away.

Who decided Coach Cut was an acceptable nickname. Maybe he is called that by his friends but I prefer Coach Cutliffe. He seems like the right man at the right time. Lewis and Asack should thrive under his coaching.

Like you

I would like to see us go 13-0.

However I am not going to get down on the team if they go 12-1.

My problem is that fans might be oversold and expect miracles, and then be disappointed and turn against the program when the miracles do not develop.

Lastly, I said that one of my expectations is that we win all of the games that should win. So if we play well enough to win every game then you and I are on the same page.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Who decided Coach Cut was an acceptable nickname. Maybe he is called that by his friends but I prefer Coach Cutliffe. He seems like the right man at the right time. Lewis and Asack should thrive under his coaching.
    Because calling him Cutliffe would literally be wrong.

Talking Add to the list

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Because calling him Cutliffe would literally be wrong.
    Add THAT name to the Duke spelling sticky!

Can hardly wait to see whom Duke picks for men's soccer coach ... that'll be another one on the sticky!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I'm not going to get on the first poster because I see his/her point. But I'll join those who have pointed out that putting a number of "acceptable" losses on your record before the season begins just sets you up to fail. I'm a coach myself, and I have never gone into a game thinking it would be acceptable if we lost. Even if it may be one of those "learning experiences" (ie. you're going to get your butt kicked) going into the game, if you approach the game with that mindset, you'll ruin any chance you had at learning anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I would like to see us go 13-0.

However I am not going to get down on the team if they go 12-1.

My problem is that fans might be oversold and expect miracles, and then be disappointed and turn against the program when the miracles do not develop.

Lastly, I said that one of my expectations is that we win all of the games that should win. So if we play well enough to win every game then you and I are on the same page.

SoCal
    I would "settle" for 7 wins and a bowl appearance

I also agree with your comment that fans should *not* be "oversold and expect miracles", since that won't happen... but continued improvement will go a long way to building the Duke Football Program...

In '08, Duke plays the following teams:

@ Home: Northwestern, Navy, James Madison, Virginia, North C*rolina, Miami and N.C. State

Away: Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest

Coach Cutcliffe wouldn't have come to Duke if he doubted the ability of his team to win every game on its schedule. Coach Cutcliffe is at Duke to win ACC titles, and settle for nothing less.

And that home schedule, in particular, sets up favorably enough to help in accomplishing such a lofty goal.

That may be absurd, to even suggest that Duke might aspire to win all its games, let alone most of them. But Coach Cutcliffe has no incremental aspirations, but transformative ones.

He may not achieve them all as quickly as he would like, but he and his staff and players are going to give it all they've got.

Expectations

I agree, SoCal. But we do have a nice schedule for next year- much more manageable. And the team will be quite experienced. I can see why Ted kept pointing to 2008 and I'm sure he would have an improved record had he stuck around (yeah, I know, 2 wins would've been an improved record). So while we may get roughed up, I think the opportunity is there to get better quickly. I could see us getting 2 wins (adjusting to a new coach, new system), or 7 wins (experience, lots of home games, easier schedule, new and better coaching).

It'll be fun to watch.

Looking at the list of opponents next year, and considering the potential of our team, I am very optimistic. The process has started towards correcting some of the game losing errors we made last season. We have lots of talented players with experience, and Coach Cutcliffe has the know how to bring out their very best. I cannot pick out 6 games in which we will lose, but I can pick more than 6 that I believe we can win. That's why I am optimistic.

I see your point as well

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    I'm not going to get on the first poster because I see his/her point. But I'll join those who have pointed out that putting a number of "acceptable" losses on your record before the season begins just sets you up to fail. I'm a coach myself, and I have never gone into a game thinking it would be acceptable if we lost. Even if it may be one of those "learning experiences" (ie. you're going to get your butt kicked) going into the game, if you approach the game with that mindset, you'll ruin any chance you had at learning anything.
    I would hope that Coach Cutcliffe and the team approach the season with the idea of winning every game.

I also think that fan support is important. My concern is that our fans will have unrealistic expectations that may not be met and that support will be reduced.

I also can not believe that I am thinking so much and so positively about Duke football.

SoCal

Coach Cliffe

Coach Cut just sounds awful, im just glad people in duke arent calling him Coach C, how original.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    Coach Cut just sounds awful, im just glad people in duke arent calling him Coach C, how original.
    I agree that calling him Coach C would not be the way to go. Cut sounds good to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe wouldn't have come to Duke if he doubted the ability of his team to win every game on its schedule.
    Mike, I usually agree with your writings, but come on. We would all do many things knowing the chances for perfection were non-existent.

Now, I hope Coach Cut wants to win every game, tries to win every game, and delivers the right Xes and Oes to win every game. However, if he and you are confident the team has the "ability" (your word, not mine) to win every game, you both are, with all respect and humility, delusional.

And, yes, before I am pounced upon, I know our football players, nay, all of our athletes, are all highly talented, gifted, strong, fleet afoot, big-hearted men and women who cry blue tears whenever they lose.
    Last edited by DukeU3x; 12-17-2007 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Grammar