Thank You Coach Roof!

In all of this we need to remember the growth TR put into the program. Although it didn't show on the W/L part of the sheet they are clear.

He helped bring more money/attention from administration to football;
    He developed a red shirt program which will benefit the team in years to come;
    He increased the number and quality of recruits showing that recruiting can be done at Duke;

And the big one in my book...He is leaving a program which, last time around had very few suiters, but in 2007 drew the interest of people like Steve Logan, Rod Broadway, Paul Johnson, Bobby Johnson, Karl Dorrell just to name a few.

He inherited a very bad program and is leaving a much better one. I don't want his accomplishments brushed aside:

THANK YOU COACH ROOF

Last edited by Bluedawg; 12-15-2007 at 09:38 AM.

I totally agree Coach Roof did a lot to improve our program. He took it over and really did a lot of things to improve from the quality of student players he was able to get to making the administration realize they needed to support/fund football better and not treat it like an orphan. Sadly before his time was up he wasn't able to get the W's that where needed.

Coach Roof thank you for making Duke Football a better place then when you received it. Good Luck in your future!!

Agreed. It was a pleasure to serve under TR my senior year when he took over a team in turmoil and starting to right the ship. I will indeed credit him for the groundwork he laid to get Duke Football back on the path to success, even if the W/L column didn't show it. Thank you Coach Roof!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    In all of this we need to remember the growth TR put into the program. Although it didn't show on the W/L part of the sheet they are clear.

He helped bring more money/attention from administration to football;
    He developed a red shirt program which will benefit the team in years to come;
    He increased the number and quality of recruits showing that recruiting can be done at Duke;

And the big one in my book...He is leaving a program which, last time around had very few suiters, but in 2007 drew the interest of people like Steve Logan, Rod Broadway, Paul Johnson, Bobby Johnson, Karl Dorrell just to name a few.

He inherited a very bad program and is leaving a much better one. I don't want his accomplishments brushed aside:

THANK YOU COACH ROOF

Great post, Bluedawg!! I agree totally! Thank you, Coach Roof! Just wish you had been given the support that you (and others before you) deserved.

I know there are folks who feel negatively about Ted Roof and his years at Duke but this thread is to give thanks to a guy who put years of his life, his reputation, and his career into Duke and I see no reason to rehash negative feelings in this thread.

Thanks.

--Jason

And to dukie8: I am ready for the future as well. But if the Blue Devils should have a better year next year than you expect, then most of us will acknowledge the hand that Ted Roof had in that. He was hamstrung by the lack of support, support needed to get over the hump. Our new coach, David Cutcliffe, should reap the benefits of Duke's new commitment to a better football program.

...and does anybody know what Coach Roof's plans are? I wish him success in whatever challenge he accepts.

Good posts!

I wish Coach Roof and his family only the best in the future. I believe through his four years he has shown class and integrity and represented Duke well.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I wish Coach Roof and his family only the best in the future. I believe through his four years he has shown class and integrity and represented Duke well.
    My sentiments exactly. Thanks Coach, and good luck.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Coach Roof will land on his feet, whatever he ends up doing.

He leaves the program with a much firmer foundation than when he found it. He brought an organization and a demand for change that, ultimately, has given Duke the opportunity to thrive in football like it hasn't in 40 years.

Roof's got a great defensive mind, and is of the highest character. He was an imperfect head coach, but he'll get plenty of chances to work on the sidelines until the day he retires.

Thanks

A sincere thank you to Mr. Roof for character, integrity, loyalty, great work ethic/effort and graduation rates and laying a solid foundation for what will hopefully be a significant re-vitalization of Duke FB. Best of luck.

Thanks Coach Roof

You took on a tough task and made the place better.

SoCal
    Last edited by JBDuke; 12-15-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks and a look to the future

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Coach Roof will land on his feet, whatever he ends up doing.

He leaves the program with a much firmer foundation than when he found it. He brought an organization and a demand for change that, ultimately, has given Duke the opportunity to thrive in football like it hasn't in 40 years.

Roof's got a great defensive mind, and is of the highest character. He was an imperfect head coach, but he'll get plenty of chances to work on the sidelines until the day he retires.
    Ted Roof was "an imperfect head coach" under horrid conditions. That doesn't mean he's not going to be a great head coach. (Pardon the double negatives! I was successful in freshman English!) The match is as important as the qualifications when seeking the best results in hiring. Given a little time to regroup and get to the right spot, I believe we'll see Ted Roof as a very successful head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Given a little time to regroup and get to the right spot, I believe we'll see Ted Roof as a very successful head coach.
    Agreed completely. I apologize if I insinuated otherwise.