Review: There Will Be Blood

Whew... this is quite a movie. It will not be a commercial hit nor is it a particularly enjoyable film to watch, but if you appreciate remarkable acting, cinematography, and direction you cannot pass this flick. Film school students and folks who appreciate movies as an art will relish watching it.

The movie is long, over 2 1/2 hours, and follows the life of a character named Daniel Plainview, played by Daniel Day-Lewis. As I am sure many of you have heard, DDL is a MORTAL LOCK to get an Oscar nomination for his acting in this film. I won't be at all surprised if he wins it all. He plays Daniel Plainview as a man obsessed by the oil business. Nothing in his life matters except for his "success while watching others fail." He is willing to sacrifice anything, even his family, to achieve this goal. He even lets his obsession overwhelm his relationship with his son-- a relationship that he cherishes and yet is willing to sacrifice. It is impossible to like Daniel Plainfield but also impossible not to be gripped by his story.

In many ways, this movie is not all that different from Citizen Kane or The Aviator in that it follows the life of a successful businessman who is clearly a flawed character and is difficult to sympathize with or like. Plainview is utterly unrepentant. As soon as a person he cares for disappoints him in any way, he cuts them out of his life, often with a brutal outburst of venom and anger. He is crazy, a sociopath, but one who is driven in business and achieves success as a result.

The movie touches on religious themes as well. In many ways the rival to Plainview is a young evangelist named Eli Sunday (played by Paul Dano, who may also get award nominations) who runs the church in the town that Plainview takes over to build his oil empire. Eli is also prone to obsession, though his is with The Lord. Eli wants to insert God into Daniel Plainview's life and work but Daniel treats him with the utmost contempt. Their clashes are stunning and arresting to watch.

Because it follows much of Plainview's life, the movie jumps around a bit and does not have a central plot in the traditional sense. What's more, the dialog is designed to be stilted and formal, like the way they talked in the early 1900s. As a result the conversations are sometimes awkward to the ear though they ring true to the time period (I think). The anger and emotion that is conveyed in this formalized language is gripping and impressive.

I usually would not bother talking about the score in a film, but the background music plays such a huge role in this film. For example, there is zero dialog in the first 20 minutes of the movie as we see a young Plainfield digging for gold but finding shale/oil instead, and it is music that carries us through that part of the film. Director/Screenwriter Paul Thomas Anderson uses an almost overwhelming musical score to set the tone for the film. It is extremely powerful. The cinematography and set design are also magnificent. The oil wells are impressive and utterly real.

From a technical standpoint, this is an amazing film-- but it strains to be enjoyable. The ending is somewhat abrupt and not all that satisfying, though I could see why the film ended the way it did. At times, it is a frustrating film as you want to grab Plainfield and shake him into understanding how heartless and foolish he is. The film accomplishes something remarkable in having us care about and want to find out everything about this wretched man. In the end, when a fabulously wealthy Plainfield is left alone and almost senile, we actually feel sorry for him... a great testament to the power of the acting and directing.

I could go on an on about this one. Its sorta funny because aside from die-hard film buffs I am not sure who I would recommend the film to. I was surprised that my wife said she enjoyed it (except for the final 20 minutes) as it did not feel like her kind of film. Perhaps it is more enjoyable than I thought.

I am eager for more of you to see it and to discuss it. It is unquestionably one of the best made films of the year.

--Jason "Daniel Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem are the villains of the year" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-14-2007 at 05:59 PM.

There Will Be Blood

Jason I will be seeing this movie. Despite what some may call idiosyncrasies and his long breaks between movies, I think that Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the best and will always try to see any movie of his. I was worried more about the director PT Anderson, I loved Boogie Nights but felt that Magnolia was to bloated.

There Will Be Blood

I've been eagerly awaiting this movie for a while now, a suspense built in part by the fact that it's been released in New York and Los Angeles for several weeks already.

Has anyone seen it that would be willing to affirm or dissent from that which the critics have said?

Thanks.

Is this the movie with Daniel Day Lewis? I believe Jason Evans has posted his take on this flick.

Wide release?

Anyone know when the wide release date for this movie will be? I'm really wanting to see it but can't find any info other than the limited release date.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Friday...

a great movie but don't read reviews

I have a cousin who's a French graduate student whose favorite films are generally subtitled. I was surprised to hear from her a few weeks ago that a movie about an oil baron would be one of the best movies she's ever seen.

While not entirely perfect (I agree that the end was extreme, painful but a bit slow), it really is interesting. If I were making suggestions, however, I probably would suggest not reading reviews before seeing the movie (or any movie, for that matter) since they can spoil the "surprises." For example, I wasn't expecting Plainview to be so mean/paranoid/envious even though such characteristics were "in plain view," so to speak. Day-Lewis's looks capture a broad range of emotional states, and even when he does outrageous things, his behavior follows from his character.

I would like to have known a bit more about why Plainview ended up so twisted, but I respect the fact that looking at one's childhood for clues to one's adult life was more common in 1900 Vienna than in wherever the hell this movie took place.

Hell is an apropos word, by the way, what with all the flames, damnation, etc. See it.

I paid to be tortured

I saw this yesterday with my husband. Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing and the production value/cinematography is stellar. But looking over Jason Evan's review, I'd agree that it is barely enjoyable.

The movie gets to you and "sticks" if that's what makes a good movie, then this is better than most movies that you enjoy and forget before you leave the theater. I find myself picking through memories of scenes trying to "figure things out"--and if you like that, then the movie is successful.

Jason talked about the score carrying the movie--it does, but it is REALLY annoying sometimes. I've played my fair share of 20th century music and have some appreciation for dissonance, but this was a bit over the top for me sometimes. I found myself wishing that it was differently scored and feeling that would have really changed the mood of the movie. However, what was there did support and advance the thrust of the movie.

Watching this movie is like watching a slow motion train wreck with all the attendant drama and tragedy. If it still sticks in a month, I'll write back and declare it a must see. Last year I saw the Lives of Others and was still talking about it a month later. I bought copies to give to friends. Not feeling like this will happen with There Will Be Blood.

My wife and I finally got around to seeing this last night, albeit 4 years late, and all I can say is that Jason's post pretty much nails it.

What was also interesting is that we had just finished watching History Channel's "The Men Who Built America," so we had some of the speculation/refining/Standard Oil context fresh on our minds.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I was surprised that my wife said she enjoyed it (except for the final 20 minutes.)
    I don't think I read this thread four years ago. I got in on DVD and I agree with your wife except I'd trim down my ending to the last 20 seconds. Most unfulfilling ending ever...and it slapped you right in the face. Every time I think of that movie, I think how much I hated that ending. And I think about drinking your milkshake.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."