Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Multiple Reports: David Cutcliffe offered!

Quote Originally Posted by langdonfan View Post
    If this proves to be true, I think it's a great hire.
    Agreed. Anyone with a winning SEC record and good connections to excellent talent pipelines is a very good start.

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Uh...he might make a fine coach for Duke...but an offer does not necessarily make an acceptance...moreover, how about some credible journalistic sources, eh?

If this happens, it would be tremendous news and Duke would have landed a coach who's resume is, oh, I'd say about 1000 times better than what I thought we could get. He's universally recognized as one of the very best offensive minds in the country and many people think he did an excellent job at Ole Miss.

I've heard this as well, good hire, IMO.

As someone posted in one of the other threads, one of the Knoxville paper is reporting that Cutcliffe is likely to accept the position. If true, I'm glad we've found our new gridiron leader. Welcome, Coach!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    If this happens, it would be tremendous news and Duke would have landed a coach who's resume is, oh, I'd say about 1000 times better than what I thought we could get. He's universally recognized as one of the very best offensive minds in the country and many people think he did an excellent job at Ole Miss.
    I'm happy if this works out. But, the "down" side of me thinks that if he's very successful here, he'll definitely move on to bigger and better things... like Paul Johnson, etc. Our hope is that if he is very successful, he'll embrace Duke as Coach K does, and stay FOREVER.

Smile Every Silver Lining...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I'm happy if this works out. But, the "down" side of me thinks that if he's very successful here, he'll definitely move on to bigger and better things... like Paul Johnson, etc. Our hope is that if he is very successful, he'll embrace Duke as Coach K does, and stay FOREVER.
    I recognize your concerns, but this falls under the heading, "every silver lining has a cloud." How I would love to have a head coach with a record that would make someone else want to hire him!

sagegrouse

completely agree with sagegrouse - having a coach whose record is good enough to attract the attention of others is a greaet problem to have. Plus, if that happens and that coach were to leave, at that point the Duke position would likely no longer be the no-win situation it seems to be regarded as now.

If very successful Duke Football will become a bigger and better thing.

Ol' Ball Coach

I'm sure the Ol' Ball Coach was consulted on this, since he's coached against Cutcliffe in one form or another a large part of his career.

And I'm sitting here chuckling to myself. Spurrier is probably happy for Duke. But he's got to be happy that SEC rival UT could be looking for an OC of Cutcliffe's quality!

I won't believe it until I see the press conference. As others have stated, offer != acceptance

That said, great choice, I hope he does accept.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    Uh...he might make a fine coach for Duke...but an offer does not necessarily make an acceptance...moreover, how about some credible journalistic sources, eh?
    How about the Knoxville News Sentinel:

Cutcliffe offered Duke job, expected to accept position

Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe has been offered the head coaching position at Duke and is expected to accept the job, sources within UT’s football program told the News Sentinel on Thursday.

Originally published 10:55 p.m., December 13, 2007

But even if he does he would not be leaving the worse job in D-1 football. Duke would be more attractive to coaches at his level.

I agree with your thoughts but I also have to think we can only make one step at a time.

Now...

We can all sit on pins and needles until we hear those magical words "Duke University has scheduled a Press conf."
    I hope this works, Duke is right. The more you read and investigate, the better he looks.

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    We can all sit on pins and needles until we hear those magical words "Duke University has scheduled a Press conf."
    I hope this works, Duke is right. The more you read and investigate, the better he looks.
    Joe promised not to do this on the cheap and get a good quality coach. Regardless whether he accepts or not this process has shown that Joe is standing by that promise.

"I'm happy if this works out. But, the "down" side of me thinks that if he's very successful here, he'll definitely move on to bigger and better things."

Would you rather be looking for a new coach after five years because the old one was so successful someone lured him away or because the the old one went 5-47?

1. I agree that JA has apparently stepped up to the plate, regardless of how this works out. Both Johnsons, although not taking the job, commented on the obvious commitment that Duke was showing to improve the program. That in itself is a very encouraging sign, as is the fact that folks actually care who we hire.

2. Let's worry about holding on to our wildly successful coach when we get there. As Wake showed, you can retain a hot commodity if the fit is right.

If in fact David Cutcliffe agrees to become the next head coach of Duke University, I presume he would not agree to the status quo. Very much needed improvements to Wallace Wade's old ball field, a realistic financial backing of the program, and ultimatley attracting student athletes previously not accepted is a leap forward that makes me excited.