Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilnole View Post
    It was the The Tophat, not Tops. Great burgers and fries and quarts of Schlitz. My frat still called it by its old name, The Owl.

Someone mentioned the Pizza Palace, which I always loved. It was there when I was there from 70 to 74 and it was still there when my three Dukie kids graduated (last one 5 years ago). It finally closed several years ago.

I loved A&A's hotdogs on a weekend morning to soak up prior night's beer. As I remember you sat at school-like desks.

I also spent a lot of time at Jim's Party Store.
    You are right and wrong. There was a Tops at Broad and Main. It was a burger joint - with drive-up curb service. They served a three decker job with lots of mayo that was very good. It was torn down and now, I believe Elmo's is on the site.

The Top Hat was on Broad Street a little south of Club Blvd. Across the street was the Eckerds Drug and just south of Eckerds was Soundhaus - with high end stereo equipment. Next door to the south (with an intervening vacant lot) was Howerton-Bryan Funeral Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You are right and wrong. There was a Tops at Broad and Main. It was a burger joint - with drive-up curb service. They served a three decker job with lots of mayo that was very good. It was torn down and now, I believe Elmo's is on the site.

The Top Hat was on Broad Street a little south of Club Blvd. Across the street was the Eckerds Drug and just south of Eckerds was Soundhaus - with high end stereo equipment. Next door to the south (with an intervening vacant lot) was Howerton-Bryan Funeral Home.
    Thanks. I must have had too many quarts of Schlitz at the Top Hat to remember Tops.

Thanks. I must have had too many quarts of Schlitz at the Top Hat to remember Tops.
    Topp's was a big-deal '50-60's era drive-in, complete with car hops IIRC. It was a teen gathering place, and the site of some town-gown dust-ups. I believe there were also Topp's in the DC area at the time, but I could be conflating things that are truly separate.

It was between East Campus and 9th st., but I can't picture where it actually was vis a vis today's structures.

It may have died a natural death when times changed, or it may have been closed by the health department. But, of course, Foy's existed for years with a dirt floor.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Topp's was a big-deal '50-60's era drive-in, complete with car hops IIRC. It was a teen gathering place, and the site of some town-gown dust-ups. I believe there were also Topp's in the DC area at the time, but I could be conflating things that are truly separate.

It was between East Campus and 9th st., but I can't picture where it actually was vis a vis today's structures.

It may have died a natural death when times changed, or it may have been closed by the health department. But, of course, Foy's existed for years with a dirt floor.

sagegrouse
    It was on the corner which was later the location a variety of restaurants including Mad Hatter's. A little strip shopping center is adjacent. The A&P and the laundromat (also known as the wishy washy) were there.

The mention of confrontations between "town and gown" makes me think of the Blue Light. I recall hearing the word spread (no cell phones!) that there was a fight underway there and some guys running to get in their cars to drive there and join in.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It was on the corner which was later the location a variety of restaurants including Mad Hatter's. A little strip shopping center is adjacent. The A&P and the laundromat (also known as the wishy washy) were there.

The mention of confrontations between "town and gown" makes me think of the Blue Light. I recall hearing the word spread (no cell phones!) that there was a fight underway there and some guys running to get in their cars to drive there and join in.
    The Blue Light was owned by Sam Boy and he owned the convenience store on the site - right where the Durham Freeway crosses Erwin Road. Last time I was in that area the old drive in section was still standing behind the old restaurant/now convenience store and Sam was still there.

Does anyone remember the old liquor houses located on Pettigrew Street - between Erwin Road and Swift Avenue? They are long gone but they operated for many years as local watering holes.

Does anyone remember the old liquor houses located on Pettigrew Street - between Erwin Road and Swift Avenue? They are long gone but they operated for many years as local watering holes.
    LaPetite Birdland?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Here's a web link with some comments about the Criterion and the perception of the sort of films it offered. The Crit is the one I heard most of the guys talk about. Scroll down for the comments and memories.
    http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com...d-parrish.html

The Rialto (first called the Orpheum) was located next to a once fine hotel that later became known as a site for a dalliance or two.
    That was the Malbourne Hotel - located across the street from the old Courthouse on Main Street. The new courthouse stands on the site. Also in that block was the State Smoke Shop. They had a back room where one could find a beer and listen to the improvisations of some great Durham Jazz - most evenings.

What about Wallace's Auto Electric Garage. They kept my car running for my 10years at Duke and it was old when I got it. They were the best mechanics I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    What about Wallace's Auto Electric Garage. They kept my car running for my 10years at Duke and it was old when I got it. They were the best mechanics I've ever had.
    Wallace's was great as was Patishalls.

Wallace's was great as was Patishalls.
    Patishalls is gone, but I think Wallace Auto Electric garage is still in operation in the same building (rock exterior).

It was the The Tophat, not Tops. Great burgers and fries and quarts of Schlitz. My frat still called it by its old name, The Owl.

Someone mentioned the Pizza Palace, which I always loved. It was there when I was there from 70 to 74 and it was still there when my three Dukie kids graduated (last one 5 years ago). It finally closed several years ago.

I loved A&A's hotdogs on a weekend morning to soak up prior night's beer. As I remember you sat at school-like desks.

I also spent a lot of time at Jim's Party Store.
    Several familiar references there and my time frame was approximately the same...1969 to 1973

Occasionally stopped by the Top Hat, but more often Maola's (quart of Schlitz which was something like .70 plus a large plate of string french fries for .25) and then the University Grill was also popular (Myra and husband Harry) which had a good Cuban sandwich and the popular peanut butter and bacon on toast.

Can't dispute the choice of Amos & Andy's for hot dogs, though King's Hot Dogs down near the old ball park was a good choice too.
    Two with mustard, chili, and slaw, along with a fountain Pepsi...might tasty.

Blue Light

The Blue Light was owned by Sam Boy and he owned the convenience store on the site - right where the Durham Freeway crosses Erwin Road. Last time I was in that area the old drive in section was still standing behind the old restaurant/now convenience store and Sam was still there.
    When I stopped by Sam's last fall to pick up a six pack of Dale's Pale Ale, I was told that the same family had owned the place since the 1950's. It was a good place to sip a cold one near campus. Plus, I actually liked the food.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    though King's Hot Dogs down near the old ball park was a good choice too.
    Two with mustard, chili, and slaw, along with a fountain Pepsi...might tasty.
    After a few years of being boarded up King's has now reopened. The man who runs it has an incredible committment to making the same recipes, same style, etc. He even had a bunch of the equipment restored so he could use the old grills, milkshake machines, etc. Repainted to look like the original, with brand new aluminum awnings that were made to be replicas of the old ones. Most importantly everything is delicious. In addition to the standard fountain drnks and home-made lemonade you can also buy Kool-Aid as a beverage - a great touch. I love the place

http://www.kingssandwichshop.com/

Old Dope Shop

A few years ago, I was staying at the Wash Duke (which means Ms. Sage Grouse was along), and I ran into -- and recognized -- one of the women who worked in the Dope Shop in the Union building in the early 60s. She was blonde and 20 years younger than any of the others. She had one piece of information: the old milkshake machines from the D.S. were at an establishment on 9th Street -- I forget which, because I only go to Elmo's.

Perhaps they are still there.

sage

A few years ago, I was staying at the Wash Duke (which means Ms. Sage Grouse was along), and I ran into -- and recognized -- one of the women who worked in the Dope Shop in the Union building in the early 60s. She was blonde and 20 years younger than any of the others. She had one piece of information: the old milkshake machines from the D.S. were at an establishment on 9th Street -- I forget which, because I only go to Elmo's.

sage
    They are at a small store called Ox and Rabbit (732 9th street). Is is the former site of McDonalds drugs. The new owners were able to restore McDonald's old soda fountan, but not the milkshake machines so they got the ones from the D.S. It is basically a small gift shop with a soda fountain.

Dope Shop

sage
    Ah, the Dope Shop. "What you gonna have, Honey."
    "I'd like [name whatever quantity of burgers, fries and shakes you can think of]"

"What else?"

I'm convinced that even if your order comprised their entire inventory, you would still get, "What else?"

Loved that place, especially the oniony cheeseburgers.

Ah, the Dope Shop. "What you gonna have, Honey."
    "I'd like [name whatever quantity of burgers, fries and shakes you can think of]"

"What else?"

I'm convinced that even if your order comprised their entire inventory, you would still get, "What else?"

Loved that place, especially the oniony cheeseburgers.
    Oniony cheeseburgers and jamoca shakes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Dope shop shakes

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Oniony cheeseburgers and jamoca shakes!
    Not a coffee guy, i loved the root beer shakes.

Jim's Party Store

Spent a lot ot time at Jim's. Seems the expressway construction made it much less accessible from campus, but how long did it last? It was a great spot to buy beer and cash checks. Jim was a great guy.