Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Because I can't tell my girlfriend this

She's a huge Kentucky fan. She has called me a few times lamenting their underwhelming performances, and I literally do not respond. I of course can't reply with, "Yeah, your team is not only bad at the moment, but completely irrelevant. Oh yeah, and your coach is a dirtbag."
    But you know what? I love it. Sure is hard to keep my mouth sometimes, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    She's a huge Kentucky fan. She has called me a few times lamenting their underwhelming performances, and I literally do not respond. I of course can't reply with, "Yeah, your team is not only bad at the moment, but completely irrelevant. Oh yeah, and your coach is a dirtbag."
    And based on the post, I'm assuming she is unaware of DBR? Or doesn't visit the boards? How long do you think you can keep this double life a secret Wilson? Sooner or later, she's going to find out.

-Earl O' the Jam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    And based on the post, I'm assuming she is unaware of DBR? Or doesn't visit the boards? How long do you think you can keep this double life a secret Wilson? Sooner or later, she's going to find out.

-Earl O' the Jam
    Pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about with that...she's much too cool for message boards.

Pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about with that...she's much too cool for message boards.
    Good point. Good point.

-EarlJam

"Yeah, your team is not only bad at the moment, but completely irrelevant. Oh yeah, and your coach is a dirtbag."
    Sounds like a job for Jumbo. He's kindof like DBR's junkyard dog, his talents are particularly suited for this task.

press for a conversion...

UK likes to lament about "the shot"... I still havent forgiven them from beating us in 78, so if it causes them pain, I dont regret it in the least.

To ease her pain, welcome her in... try getting some of those iron on transfers... and add a "D" and "E" to bookend the UK so you get DUKE. The Blue is very very close, so its not like it constitutes a fullblown wardrobe change.. You could even offer to be hospitable... "If you do this for me I promise to root for KY when Duke has a bad yr..."(dont offer up that our bad yrs are still 20 win seasons)

Take her to a game in Cameron if you can...
    Propose to her at the Chapel or get married there...

I think there are some life changing possibilities here..

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post

Or propose to her in Cameron. Tell her you are going to re-create the infamous shot but it will be much more pleasurable for her this time. Tell her you will be Grant Hill with the inbound pass. Tell her to stand at the top of the key and ask her if she can catch the pass. She will say yes. Run down to the baseline as she stays at the top of the key.

"Okay! Ready?"

"Ready!"

Then you pull out the box with the engagement ring in it and throw it to her. She catches it, opens it, then does her best Laettner impression, arms in the air, screaming in joy as she runs to give you a big hug and to tell you, "Yes."

In your mind, you hear Bob Harris scream, "Scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!"

Just a suggestion.

-EarlJam

yeah... not bloody likely

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    UK likes to lament about "the shot"... I still havent forgiven them from beating us in 78, so if it causes them pain, I dont regret it in the least.

To ease her pain, welcome her in... try getting some of those iron on transfers... and add a "D" and "E" to bookend the UK so you get DUKE. The Blue is very very close, so its not like it constitutes a fullblown wardrobe change.. You could even offer to be hospitable... "If you do this for me I promise to root for KY when Duke has a bad yr..."(dont offer up that our bad yrs are still 20 win seasons)

Wilson, I feel your pain. My fiance is also a die-hard UK blue-blood and even had the gall to joke about donations to schools whose teams beat the Devils when we first met. She has slowly come around to watching a game or two with me, but peaks out at just keeping her mouth zipped. I am sure I don't do myself any favors by keeping a clip of the shot on my BlackBerry (I don't rub it in and play it all the time, but she knows its there), but we went to a few football games this year, and I earned some points there.

So I would suggest just telling her Kentucky is really a football school now. And share your mutual dislike of Florida's undeserved recent success.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Get a new girlfriend.

A few things

Nobody said anything about proposals; let's get that straight. And anyway, EarlJam, if I proposed to her in that fashion, she'd render me unable to sire children. Furthermore, there is absolutely no prospect of any degree of conversion. I am content to silently revel in UK's crappy season (and recent run). It will be even more enjoyable when I travel to enemy territory in a few weeks.

Wilson, I am afraid that your relationship cannot survive this impasse unless you both focus on building common, productive ground. May I suggest: hatred of UNC? I think that will work for both of you.

-- OPK, Counsellor to the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Get a new girlfriend.
    Outstanding.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Between wilson's and muso74's choices in women I can now understand the rise in the divorce rate.

When Mrs. Murray and I wed she didn't care about basketball at all - she is now a die-hard Duke fan. I could tolerate apathy, but I can't imagine being able to tolerate an intimate relationship with a UK or UNC fan. I would just feel so dirty.

And remember, in the words of Samuel Johnson, Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. (This quote brought to you by someone for home hope did in fact triumph expereince).

Nothing wrong with feeling dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Between wilson's and muso74's choices in women I can now understand the rise in the divorce rate.

When Mrs. Murray and I wed she didn't care about basketball at all - she is now a die-hard Duke fan. I could tolerate apathy, but I can't imagine being able to tolerate an intimate relationship with a UK or UNC fan. I would just feel so dirty.

And remember, in the words of Samuel Johnson, Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. (This quote brought to you by someone for home hope did in fact triumph expereince).
    My first wife was also a UK fan. We met in March 1992, when I was at Duke and she was at UK. A relationship forged from fire.

This second time, it is definitely a triumph of hope over experience. I am ever the optimist.

Agreed. I would never be able to live with that mess.
    The Gordog

So what does that make us?

Doesn't this belong on the off topic board?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    So what does that make us?
    Attachment 168

-EarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlJam

so dude why in the world are YOU (a Duke man) dating a woman who swears total allegiance to 'them'. i'm telling you, you should get out NOW and drive away from her as fast as your (insert vehicle name here) will take you.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    so dude why in the world are YOU (a Duke man) dating a woman who swears total allegiance to 'them'. i'm telling you, you should get out NOW and drive away from her as fast as your (insert vehicle name here) will take you.

dth.
    EarlJam has met her. He, I think, will back me up on this...I ain't driving away from this one just because she's a Kentucky fan.
    Funny, her Kentucky fanhood really doesn't bother me much. A kuralonna fan would honestly be a problem, but pretty much no other team comes close for me.