Biggest Surprise? Disappointment?

Just curious what your thoughts are on Biggest Surprise and not to pick on anyone but disappointment?

Biggest Surprise

The team as a whole playing the way they are. From Top to bottom everyone seems hungry.

Biggest Disappointment

Perhaps the post play as a whole. Doesn't need major improvement, but not far off from major improvement.

Most Improved

This one is tough for me. Gerald Henderson seems the obvious choice but Paulus has really been running this offense WAYYYYYYYYYYYY smoother then last year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    Biggest Disappointment

Perhaps the post play as a whole. Doesn't need major improvement, but not far off from major improvement.
    I cringe a little every time we light someone up with threes. It's fun and all, but for the most part (note: "for the MOST part") it is NOT a formula for winning championships.

Seems like we've gone to the Three a bit more of late. We were slashing more to the hoop and getting more inside play earlier.

Still, not a knock on the team at all. We're solid, awesome. I just don't want the team to start relying on the Three to win.

-EarlJam

Biggest Surprise - Taylor King; He has surpassed all of my expectations.

Biggest Disappointment - None; All of the youngsters have met or exceeded my expectations.

Most Improved - Henderson; He has improved in nearly every area (mpg, ppg, rpg, blks, and shooting from the floor and foul line).

gw67

Thumbs up ibid

I'm going with gw on King Taylor being the biggest surprise. When I read his recruitment notes, everything seemed to emphasize a lack of athleticism, which scares the heck out of most Duke fans. King has been surprisingly athletic and energetic as a defender, without drawing fouls, and has NO CONSCIENCE from trey-land. This step-back three simply should not be done without a net.

Biggest dissapointment: Zoo...and it's not that he's been playing poorly. I had simply hoped for slightly better shot blocking, and he doesn't seem to have improved in that area. Still a load to shoot around and his footwork does seem moderately improved.

Improved: Team confidence and poise. Seems like EVERY returner has stepped up this year, but the biggest change seems to be the synergy created by the whole of THIS team...great energy...great focus...great...great...great! I think most of this comes from K having been revitalized by his Nat. team experience this past year; I a lot of respect for someone who has accomplished so much still embracing the need to learn and grow.

s.i.
    Last edited by SeattleIrish; 12-11-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: felt I had one too many "great(s)" in there...it diluted the overall greatness ;-)

Hi,

Biggest Surprise: Nobody has figured out a way to really exploit our lack of great bigs.

Biggest Disappointment: How long it's taking David to heal. He will really help this team when he's 100%.

Biggest Improvement: Greg.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Interesting thread.

Biggest surprise: K's new offense and the larger than usual rotation.

Biggest Dissapointment: Not recruiting a Boozer/Brand/Williams type big in three years.

Biggest improvement: Balanced contribution (Not just JJ & Sheldon).

Biggest surprise: K's new offense and the way it's allowed this still somewhat young team to play at such a high level so early in the season. I knew we'd be good by march, but after the Maui Invitational, I was a believer. Another big surprise is Taylor King. He's a much better defender and all-around player than given credit for. He can shoot, but that ain't all he can do..

Biggest Disappointment: Post play/defense; we did a good job against NMSU and Wisconsin, but we'll be playing much better teams in the future and the future starts 12/20 against Pitt. I fear that though we've done well masking it, this will ultimately prove to be our fatal flaw..

Biggest improvement: I would say Gerald, but I expected a breakout year from Henderson, so it has to be Paulus. As you all know, I wasn't too high on Greg coming into this year but he's played at a high level so far and I am really impressed. I wasn't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proved he could do it and he's proved it. Kudos to Greg..

Biggest surprise: We are probably a top-5 team right now.

Biggest dissappointment: Injuries to David and Marty, in a year where everyone who is healthy is playing.

Biggest improvement: Ballhandling. Paulus is valuing the basketball. Nelson and Henderson can both pass off of the dribble this year, which helps both the fast break and the halfcourt offense. It is amazing the transformation that was made over the summer from a plodding team to an up-tempo team.

Surprise: Improvement off all players and team as a whole. I expected some players to get better but not all of them exponetially.

Dissapoiontment: There is no clear cut one and picking one would seem too detail oriented. Maybe looking at Michigans uniforms for 2 hours?

Most Improved: Henderson.

BlueBlood-

surprise: Duke has SO MANY offensive weapons this year!

disappointment: I liked Marty a lot and I think the team is sorely missing him.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Biggest surprise: K's new offense and the larger than usual rotation.

Biggest Dissapointment: Not recruiting a Boozer/Brand/Williams type big in three years.

Biggest improvement: Balanced contribution (Not just JJ & Sheldon).
    Right on.

Biggest disappointment: recruiting. I'm thrilled about this season, but I'm definitely worried about the future, especially if we lose Henderson to the draft. Though it's a bit early to start talking about that

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I cringe a little every time we light someone up with threes. It's fun and all, but for the most part (note: "for the MOST part") it is NOT a formula for winning championships.
    Two words: Mike Dunleavy.

Surprise: K playing his depth.
    Disappointment: Zou unimproved (possibly due to injury, we'll never know)
    Improved: Team speed. Scheyer.

I am beyond thrilled at how the team is playing so far. Basketball season is truly the most wonderful time of the year.

Surprise: the contribution of our freshmen. Singler + King + Smith > McRoberts. Not to knock McRoberts, but our freshmen are phenomenal.

Disappointment: Key injuries to McClure, Zoubek, and Pocius limiting their ability to contribute. Fortunately Zoubs and McClure are working their way back, but I hate that we're going to be without Pocius.

I will also say this: I think that it's unfair to list the play of Paulus and Zoubek in the suprise/disappointments. IMHO, Paulus had a great freshman year and had an off year last year because he played for much of the season with an injured foot. Saying that you're surprised by his improvement discounts what he was able to do while playing on a bum foot. YMMV Same true, but in reverse, for Zoubs. He's coming off a back (?) injury. Let's give him a chance to get healthy before writing him off as a disappointment. I thought he played pretty well against Michigan. Again, YMMV

Individual player who is the biggest surprise is Taylor King, he's very confident in his shot, doesnt hesitate to shot the 3, but also works hard on defense in the block, and he rebounds well for his height due to positioning and having long arms help.
    Individual player who is the biggest dissappointment is Lance Thomas, he has improved a bit since last season, but the only reason he's even starting is because Coach K is trying to give him some confidence, which is lacking especially on the offensive end, he's also a weak rebounder because he has trouble blocking out opponents.