Thread: Report cards

Report cards

At the end of the semester it might be appropriate to hand out...... Player report cards:
    Grades are based on the combination of actual play and compared-to-expectations.
    •PG - Paulus has been solid so far, not having had a bad game yet, and with a couple of excellent games under his belt. I hope to see more games like he had against the Wolveritos; 6/0 ast/to!!! Has mos def shown improvement from last year. Grade: A-
    •2G - Nelson has been solid so far, with a pair of not-so-great games, a pair of very good games and a collection of games of un-spectacular-yet-of-workman-like productivity. His grit, toughness and leadership are difficult to quantify but he has infused this team with his demeanor. Has not shown statistical improvement, although his ast/to is much improved; his awareness withe ball seems to be better this year. Grade: B
    •3G - Henderson has shown quite a bit of improvement with more consistency and has achieved a higher ceiling. Has had a collection of excellent games, a pair of middling games and other + productivity games. His rebounding and shot-blocking are unexpected + surprises. Grade: A.
    •SF - Singler has lived up to his billing; very polished and versatile. He has had several outstanding games with several + productivity games. His consistency has been a ++, considering Fr. often have trouble dealing withe diversity of teams in D1. Shooting, 3pt shooting and rebounding have been ++, although he will be even a greater asset when he gets his TOs under control. Grade: A.
    •PF - Thomas has been relatively quiet so far, although being a rather undersized Center on a Guard oriented team doesn't leave much room for statistical brilliance. His hustle, grit and energy are certainly appreciated. Has shown an expanded offensive range from last year, but his propensity for fouling has remained from last year. Has been a pleasant surprise in a few games and has disappeared from a couple of games too. Grade: B/B-
    The Bench (aka, alternate starters):
    •Scheyer has exploded in a couple of games and has otherwise registered ++ contributions in every game. Has been a very nice surprise in the rebounding dept. Has dealt with changing his role from last year very well. Grade: A.
    •King has led the team in scoring 3 times and has let the NCAA know that he must be guarded out to mid-court. Has made a strong commitment to D (which is still only ok) to gain more PT and has also been a + factor rebounding. His 3pt stroke has earned lots of attention, his lack of effectiveness at the FT line is mysterious. Has been my biggest + surprise so far this year. Grade: A.
    •Smith has had a pair of excellent games, a few + contribution games a couple of too-quiet games. He is still trying to adjust from being a true 2Guard to being a PG. His eruption in the Mich. game shows how good he can be at the 2G position. Grade: B.
    •Zoubek is perhaps the enigma of this team. At times he looks like he has made great progress since last year, and at other times seems more lost. He is still recovering from breaking his foot, so the modicum of productivity is to be understood. Despite his lack of stats at times, he does "dirty work" that keep earning him minutes and has made + contributions in all but a couple of games. Grade: B/B+.
    •Both Pocius and McClure get Incomplete as a grade. Dave is only now starting to play productively after another surgery, and scored his first bucket of the year against Mich. Pocius is done for the year after surgery, I hope he red-shirts so we can see more of him.

The team grade so far in my book is an A/A+ b/c the team has played greater than the sum of it parts. The + comes from the tourney win in Maui and from the ability to win close games down the stretch, which were the games we did not deal with very well last year. Everyone on the team has had a very important impact in at least one game this year (minus Pocius and McClure) which shows how versatile the team is and also how versatile each player is as a different component. There is no single or even pair of players that must be shut down to beat Duke (a la Redick & Williams) as there are 7 players on the team who have scored 16+ pts in a game this year. One of Duke's big problems last year was identity, and this team seems to have found it; Nelson is the leader and he plays withe heart of a captain. Duke has also found that it has several players who want the ball in clutch time, which was sorely lacking last year. Duke's bench has also deepened and become more effective than last year. There was lots of room for improvement from last year and this team has made significant (P=0.01) strides in addressing pretty much every area of concern.

Don't let Coach K see this thread!

Report cards? Are you trying to get a personal meeting with Coach K?

Well,

Please don't take this as any type of personal attack on you at all, DukieinBrasil, because I don't mean it to be, but I don't think it's a good idea to grade players.

Certainly, you can do so and it's your choice, but I have had a very bad taste in my mouth with this whole 'player grading' thing and 'player combination tracking' thing and here's why: back when I was at Duke, some sports folks from The Chronicle did the same thing and put player grades into the Chronicle. I remember reading their column and thinking 'uh oh' for some reason!?

K let them know he was quite displeased with that type of journalism; right or wrong, I just remember that when I read these types of columns. So I'd rather just say that I really appreciate all the efforts by each player and I'm sorely going to miss watching Marty out there this year.

thanks, and I hope you're not upset with me, as I don't want you to be,

dth.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Well,

Please don't take this as any type of personal attack on you at all, DukieinBrasil, because I don't mean it to be, but I don't think it's a good idea to grade players.

Certainly, you can do so and it's your choice, but I have had a very bad taste in my mouth with this whole 'player grading' thing and 'player combination tracking' thing and here's why: back when I was at Duke, some sports folks from The Chronicle did the same thing and put player grades into the Chronicle. I remember reading their column and thinking 'uh oh' for some reason!?

K let them know he was quite displeased with that type of journalism; right or wrong, I just remember that when I read these types of columns. So I'd rather just say that I really appreciate all the efforts by each player and I'm sorely going to miss watching Marty out there this year.

dth.
    Yeah, this is not track we want to do down. Plus it seems to me that the only "grading" that should be done at any point is as a "group project," and I think we're all pretty pleased with the results.

Anybody who gives a grade of B to Thomas must be watching from a 1" wristwatch television (a la Dick Tracy). I am betting by midseason that Zoubek replaces him as a starter (and Zoubek doesn't yet earn a B, unless you are giving all kinds of points for improvement). Personally, I grade on results.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Well,

dth.
    I think there's a big difference between a newspaper and a fan message board. We discuss player performances all the time... so what's the big deal about summarizing those discussions with a letter grade? I say grade away if you want to. Just my opinion...

Duke always looks good early in the season. When the ACC starts we may see a different look.. I'm concerned that we've see a 7 man rotation for the most part (at times 9 but rare). The season is long and stuff happens. We're going to need the subs in the ACC, the ACC tourney, and the NCAA. I hope they've gained the necessary experience by then.

I'm nervous about grading them. It's not right.

Great post DukieInBrazil. I'm looking forward to seeing the feedback and grades from other posters

So far I give the team an 'A', they have played great, had fun, shown great chemistry. I agree with your statement that thus far they have played greater than the sum of their parts and the parts are pretty darn good so far too.

From this teacher, lemme say: Grade away!

I won't grade any induvidual player but I will grade the team as a whole.

This year is already beyond my expectations. After last year, I didn't expect much from this team, but a stellar recruiting class has helped the team tremedously. Singler, Smith, and King have all had their share of great games to go along with the others. Nelson has stepped up as a senior leader and Henderson has made leaps and bounds since last year. Paulus is seeing the floor and distributing the ball beautifully as well as hitting his jump shot very well. Zoubek is better and and Lance Thomas is no longer a fouling machine. Scheyer is doing a great job off the bench.

Grade: Solid B+. Not ready for an A yet because all the tough games have been a neutral sites or at Cameron. I will wait to see how they do in a hostile environment. But all signs point in a good direction.

PS: I will be attending Pitt v Oklahoma St. @ Pitt this coming Saturday. Look for a scounting report next Monday. (Would do it Sunday but I'll be at the Steelers Jags game)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    ... I'm concerned that we've see a 7 man rotation for the most part (at times 9 but rare).. ..
    Please explain/defend this statement. After nine games, nine players are averaging double digit minutes. Player 10 is recovering from knee surgery and Player 11 is injured/lost for the season. Therefore, nine of nine available scholarship players are playing double digit minutes. That equates to a nine man rotation no matter how you slice and dice it! Thanks!
    Bob Green

well, i really dont have a problem with grading here on the post, but journalism of that type seems wrong...well anyways heres my grading and reason...

Winning percentage : 100%

so i have to go with an A...simple...haha

great season so far, lets keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Duke always looks good early in the season. When the ACC starts we may see a different look.. I'm concerned that we've see a 7 man rotation for the most part (at times 9 but rare). The season is long and stuff happens. We're going to need the subs in the ACC, the ACC tourney, and the NCAA. I hope they've gained the necessary experience by then.

what?

why would seeing the 9-10 man rotation scare you? weve had all 3 of our freshman lead the team in scoring for at least 1 game and like previously posted 9 of the 10 guys are seeing double digit minutes. This is good, and helps us for the long haul not only physically but also with experience. But please explain why using that rotation (successfully I might add) would scare you.