Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How does Liquid Drano work?

I had a clog in my sink over the weekend. I poured in some Liquid Drano and "presto!" the clog was undone.

What is that stuff? Acid? If you poured some on your skin, would it just eat through? (I will not do this sober, by the way).

Seriously, is it just an acid that eats away at the stuff that clogs drains (e.g. hair, tissue, vermin, etc.?)

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I had a clog in my sink over the weekend. I poured in some Liquid Drano and "presto!" the clog was undone.

What is that stuff? Acid? If you poured some on your skin, would it just eat through? (I will not do this sober, by the way).

Seriously, is it just an acid that eats away at the stuff that clogs drains (e.g. hair, tissue, vermin, etc.?)

-EarlJam
    Just the opposite. It is highly caustic.

... and you definitely shouldn't put it on your arm. And never pour it onto alumninum foil (although there is aluminum in it).

I've heard...

it is a distillation of lawyers and the IRS. Others have said it was NyQuil...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    ... and you definitely shouldn't put it on your arm. And never pour it onto alumninum foil (although there is aluminum in it).
    What would happen? Seriously.

-EJ

Seriously, if you put the smallest, smallest dab of it on a toothbrush and proceeded to brush your teeth with it, would it serve as a teeth whitener?

You would, of course, spit it out and rinse, but would it work?

-EarlJam

It would release hydrogen, which has a tendency to explode.

It probably would not whiten your teeth (more likely put microscopic holes in them which would become a haven for bacteria), and burn your gums, tongue and cheeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    It would release hydrogen, which has a tendency to explode.

It probably would not whiten your teeth (more likely put microscopic holes in them which would become a haven for bacteria), and burn your gums, tongue and cheeks.
    Oh snap.

I guess what this is boiling down to is, it seems like as powerful as it is, there would be other helpful, beneficial ways to use Liquid Drano, no?

How about if you have coins that you left in your coffee cup holder in your car that got stuck together with old spilled coffee that hardened and now the coins are "glued" together? I know, run-on, horrible sentence. But if you dropped said coins in a cup of Liquid Drano, would it "unstick" the coins?

That would be a cool, beneficial and alternative use of Drano.

Or, how about as a stain remover for tough stains on metal?

Any other uses? (please refrain from telling EarlJam to drink a gallon and see what happens).

-EarlJam

I guess what this is boiling down to is, it seems like as powerful as it is, there would be other helpful, beneficial ways to use Liquid Drano, no?

How about if you have coins that you left in your coffee cup holder in your car that got stuck together with old spilled coffee that hardened and now the coins are "glued" together? I know, run-on, horrible sentence. But if you dropped said coins in a cup of Liquid Drano, would it "unstick" the coins?

That would be a cool, beneficial and alternative use of Drano.

Or, how about as a stain remover for tough stains on metal?

Any other uses? (please refrain from telling EarlJam to drink a gallon and see what happens).

-EarlJam
    IIRC, the active ingredient is sodium hydroxide (NaOH), in a fairly dilute form. This is a strong base (the opposite of an acid, with similar effects on things though) - in a stronger form, it can be used to clean dead flesh off of skeletons. No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    IIRC, the active ingredient is sodium hydroxide (NaOH), in a fairly dilute form. This is a strong base (the opposite of an acid, with similar effects on things though) - in a stronger form, it can be used to clean dead flesh off of skeletons. No kidding.
    Awesome, thanks! For some reason, this reminds me of the incident with my neighbor and the parking issue of this summer.

-EarlJam

Acid vs. Caustic in the eyes

Remember the old movies (30's vintage, think Al Capone era) when the bad guys would pour acid in someone's eyes to torture them and make them talk? Well, if they poured acid in the eyes, the eyes could possibly recover. If they really wanted to blind someone, they would pour caustic in them, and the eyesight would be gone for good. A chemistry teacher told me that about 35+ years ago.

Please, EarlJam, don't try either at home.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Oh snap.
    Did someone get told?

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Did someone get told?
    Actually, I think Cavlaw saved EarlJam's teeth from getting served.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    It wouldn't stop on the skeletons. To really get flesh off skeletons, there are some beetles that will do a great job. On the other hand, I don't think palmetto bugs will work.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Hey EarlJam;
    Try pouring some on your avatar so we can see what happens!
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Actually, I think Cavlaw saved EarlJam's teeth from getting served.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I freakin' love your sig.

-EarlJam

I used it once to try to dispose of an old dead rat in the alleyway behind my house where my kids used to play. I really do not know how old the rat was, but it seemed to me at least that it had been dead for a while, which is why the term "old."

Did it work? Not exactly. Did keep the kids in the backyard, however, small as it is.

I also used it once in diluted form to try to clean the rust off a kid's bicycle in preparation for a yard sale. Nope.

I have never tried it in a stuck drain. Plumbers say it only makes stuffed drains worse. True?