Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nolan's Rollin'

Nolan's Rollin'

I'm as excited about Nolan Smith's game as anyone else. But forget about hte points and the penetration -- he just looked more comfortable with the ball. In the "Next Step" thread, I'd talked about the fact that teams had forced him to turn his back, and that it was a sign that he was shaky running the offense. Well, today, he kept his dribble in front of him and didn't need to turn his body to protect the ball. This is a great sign for future development.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I'm as excited about Nolan Smith's game as anyone else. But forget about hte points and the penetration -- he just looked more comfortable with the ball. In the "Next Step" thread, I'd talked about the fact that teams had forced him to turn his back, and that it was a sign that he was shaky running the offense. Well, today, he kept his dribble in front of him and didn't need to turn his body to protect the ball. This is a great sign for future development.
    I completely agree. He looked much more confident today and showed a lot of energy. If he keeps this up, he'll be an incredibly difficult matchup for some of the better teams in our schedule.

Great game

As we all know, basketball is a game of confidence. Nolan was thinking too much and letting mistakes get to him. Today he showed he is a potentially very dangerous player. Can can penetrate, hit the pull up and the long three. Once he realizes he can play very well at this level- it will be very hard to keep him off the floor. All three Frosh are playing well and gaining confidence with each performance. King is showing he is not a one game wonder or even just a long range threat- he is a player. Singler will be the best player on the floor in tight games- mark it down. But we need to see how they all play in a true road game before we know how good they can be- but so far- the team is looking good.

Bad flashback...

"Rollin' with Nolan" was the title of the weekly coach's show during the Richardson era at Arkansas. I saw the title of the thread and immediately thought of him. Those of you who thought of Pete Gillen with the "Big head coaching picture" thread can hopefully understand and sympathize...

C'mon, ArkieDukie; you didn't enjoy the Nolan era at F'ville? As someone who Calls the Hogs (as a secondary exercise behind loving all things Duke), Nolan's time at Arkansas was the best the Hogs have had. Okay, it was also the worst the Hogs have had...but it was the best for Razorback fans, too.

Sorry for the double post...had another thought

Of course, I think I'll enjoy the Nolan Smith era more than the Nolan Richardson era. Go Nolan! Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by dukerev View Post
    C'mon, ArkieDukie; you didn't enjoy the Nolan era at F'ville? As someone who Calls the Hogs (as a secondary exercise behind loving all things Duke), Nolan's time at Arkansas was the best the Hogs have had. Okay, it was also the worst the Hogs have had...but it was the best for Razorback fans, too.
    As a native Arkansan and a lifelong Razorbacks fan, I did like Nolan - at the beginning. He lost me when he went off the deep end before the '94 NC. I found it hard to really be a true fan of the basketball program until recently. I do respect what he accomplished. I've always been a fan of the football program, but the recent soap opera has made it difficult.

Back on topic, I do agree with you: I will definitely enjoy the Nolan Smith era more than the Nolan Richardson era! Maybe at some point I'll be able to hear the title of this thread and associate it with the new Nolan rather than the old one.

A question: does Richardson have a trademark (or copyright? which is correct?) on "Rollin' with Nolan"?

I don't know about trademarks, but I know "Nolan's Rollin'!" would be a heck of a lot more clever as a cheer than today's lame-butted "No-lan Smi-th" effort from the Crazies.

I don't know about trademarks, but I know "Nolan's Rollin'!" would be a heck of a lot more clever as a cheer than today's lame-butted "No-lan Smi-th" effort from the Crazies.
    I agree; it would be catchy. After today's effort, he has definitely earned his own trademark cheer (a la Who's your daddy? Battier! et al.) And maybe it would help that pesky phrase association problem I'm having at the moment.

2 Guard

What I saw today is that Nolan is very comfortable in the game with Paulus, when Nolan doesn't have to worry about trying to play point. Nolan was a 2 guard in HS, and he is much more comfortable in that role. He had an excellent game today offensively and defensively, but he had zero assists.

Interesting that alongside Nolan's best game to date, Paulus threw in a quiet 6 assists to 0 turnovers.

It's not stolen. I just bought it.

(Grrr, stupid All-State commercial).

Thumbs up A few notables about Smith and Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I completely agree. He looked much more confident today and showed a lot of energy. If he keeps this up, he'll be an incredibly difficult matchup for some of the better teams in our schedule.
    So, I watched Duke today turn it up a notch when Nolan Smith came into the game; we seemed quicker, more powerful and we just seemed to go after it harder when he was in there. We played with more confidence and verve.

Also, he had the speed and the lateral quickness to stay with their PG; that PG for Michigan was repeatedly turning the corner and driving at will on other players, but not Nolan. He slowed that player and this gave added momentum to Duke.

Going forward Nolan is going to be very valuable to Duke, imo. He's just working his way in but today, he had his 'I'm Here' Party at Duke. I was waiting for that and today, it kicked off nicely. Congrats also on winning Player of the Game, Nolan!!

dth.

The real key for Nolan is to build off of this momentum. He was still a little out of control at times today-- muuuch less than in other games but still a bit too much for a 20 min/game PG at Duke. But there was so much good to notice today too (and Jumbo poiinted most of it out). The prospect of a young player building off this experience and being able to duplicate it and improve upon it... well, that is what the old DBR expression GGLC was made for

--Jason "serious question-- can you recall a Duke team with this small a difference in the performance of the #1 player and the #8 player on the roster?" Evans

Nolan

What makes Nolan so effective is that he is so long - deceivingly so. He had a couple of instances today where he scored in the paint against bigger defenders. It looks like opponents don't expect him to unfurl and score over them.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Nolan's long range shot, but his ability to hit runners in the lane and pressure the ball on D are very exciting. I think he can be really, really good.

I think that playing more as a combo guard with permission to attack attack attack maybe have been a little easier for Nolan than playing a pure PG role. At least, it seemed that way to me.

As an aside, I was really rooting for Nolan to score one more late bucket to give him the game scoring leader title that went to King instead. Had Nolan led us in scoring that game he would have been the 6th different player to lead Duke in scoring in a game this season in 9 games-- that is sick balance.

--Jason "I just cannot get over the balance and depth on this team" Evans

nolan's d

was fantastic. i can see him being called on to shut down someone really good come tourney time a la billy king.

and Paulus continues to play mistake-free ball while being the team's purest shooter. as good a shooter as king is, his shot is kinda flat and he occasionally throws up some clunkers. i think that's what contributes to his FT problems.

Ya, that second syllable in Smith was kind of embarassing. The crazies can do better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    was fantastic. i can see him being called on to shut down someone really good come tourney time a la billy king.
    Ummmm, he had a great game and all, but lets not go crazy here. Putting Nolan Smith's D in the same sentence as Billy King, at least right now, is an affront.

--Jason "I will say this, Billy King never scored as many points in a month as Nolan did yesterday " Evans