Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke MBB vs. Michigan Post Game Thread

Post your game thoughts here.
    Bob Green

I love the balance.

Penetrating Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Post your game thoughts here.
    We got to see more of what Nolan can do. Duke has been lacking the superquick penetrating guard in the recent past. This kid can do it all and should become a major force as he develops. I love his defense to go along with the terrific range of his offensive skills, outside shot, penetration, elevation and a great finish.

The rest of the team was balanced today with just about everyone contributing. There should be no comments about bench play, since the whole team got to play. I liked the way the team fed Zoubek later in the game, and he came through, showing good finishing skills.

Taylor King

I didn't get to watch the game (I'm at work). Didn't get to listen to it, either. I was following along on the SI.com game-tracker thingy. When I saw that Taylor King hit two late 3-pointers, my heart rate increased and I punched the air with both fists. I LOVE that guy! By the time he leaves Duke, I won't be surprised if he's one of THE all-time fan favorites.

Long time Duke fan growing up in NYC back from the Ferry and Laettner days posting here for the first time. Enjoy all the posts, even the idiotic ones. Watched the entire game and feel this year an excitement about this team that wasn't there last year. Great scoring balance (though I wish we had a player with post presence), depth with an attack mode I haven't seen since the Battier/Jwill teams. Even though early in the season, I now watch the games waiting for that big run that was a signature of the past Duke teams over the past 10 years that wasn't there last year. Team reminds me a lot of the 98 team (if Thomas can become McCloed they can definately win the NC).

Now that I'm registered I will chime in time to time to bring a NYC opinion. Keep up the good posts.

Oh, and here is a good T. King comparison from NYC. CHRIS MULLIN reborn!!!! Well almost!!!

bench scoring

I really liked the fact that, at one point in the first half, our bench had outscored the entire Michigan team.

We scored 95 points, won by 28, and K sounds generally dissatisfied in the post game interview (and he explains his disappointment). I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    We scored 95 points, won by 28, and K sounds generally dissatisfied in the post game interview (and he explains his disappointment). I love it.
    Didnt see the post game interview, What was Coach K disappointed with? There were a couple things i was.. But mainly missing easy shots(in the beginning)

Sharing the basketball is wonderful in the game of basketball and Duke proved it today. Multiple players scoring in double figures is always a good sign. We got a good look at what Nolan Smith will be. IMO this was Zoubeks best game to date. Taylor King is pouring in 3's very easily but also getting some inside points. Good to see the verstility.

The only negative has got to be the dependence on the 3ball. If there is a night where the shots just are not dropping, are we going to be able to get points inside? I think we can with D Nelson and Henderson driving to the basket even though they were quiet today.

Final Grade- B+ Slow start but got up and stayed up on the team that was not up to their level. It is good to see they are winning the games they are supposed to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I really liked the fact that, at one point in the first half, our bench had outscored the entire Michigan team.
    not only that, but it was probably our two lesser-rated freshmen who were outscoring michigan by themselves.

My guess would be that they did allow Michigan a decent amount of good looks during the game. A better team would have taken advantage! That's some K would be upset with! They did look rusty because of the time lag between games due to exams but then again, many teams are dealing with the same issue.

Our bench outscored our starters 54 - 41. We are deep.
    Bob Green

The Slow Down

or rather, the complete lack thereof. Thank God. I like that K kept it going tonight. It seemed like he tried to slow the game down by making more substitutions, and tinkering with lineups. This seemed to slow us down, but in a good way that was organic, rather than forced, like the weave.

I loved the scoring spread, which has to scare the bejeezus out of the ACC. Recently, Duke has been somewhat easy to guard. Assign your best perimeter player to Duke Player A, and your best interior player to Duke player B. Then have the other players slouch off their guy onto A or B, cause they guy they are assigned to is NOT going to beat you.

No more. We have 6-7 guys who can go off on you, and 2 more who will snake bite you when you ignore them. I love it. And best of all, none of them are real Defensive liabilities. Paulus and King are the closest, but both are smart, heady defenders, who are at least capable. UNC now has to take us seriously, and the rest of the ACC must be wetting themselves at the thought of this team, full of pi$$ed off kids eager to mete out revenge for recent dissappointing years. VT and UMD, I am looking in your direction.

As for today, Smith looked great. Zoubs and Thomas played better, and I loved the bench use. Great accross the board.

Patrick Yates

Taylor King has got to be one of the all time most pleasant surprises. I thought he'd be one of those good down the road guys and that his contribution this year would be somewhat closer to Maui levels. Instead he's just exploded immediately and that's great to see. He's a deadly, key player.

Another exciting thing about this team is that it still seems like it could potentially really improve. Does anyone think that Henderson or Scheyer couldn't be more consistent fitting their talents into the offense? Nolan Smith appears to be improving rapidly now, and you've gotta hope that Lance and Zoub have a good deal of improvement ahead of them. Singler is still just beginning his college career. McClure will also be there to slowly work himself back in as a contributor. So the team has a ton of upside.

Michigan looked terrible in the first half and we pretty much could beat them comfortably in our sleep (and a lot of the team did seem to be asleep in the first half). Both teams looked better in the second half. It's great to see Duke rolling along right now - though I'm also glad to hear K be critical in an easy victory; I think he has high expectations for this group.

Dang it, I have to remember that I am no longer live in East Coast ...

I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    or rather, the complete lack thereof. Thank God. I like that K kept it going tonight. It seemed like he tried to slow the game down by making more substitutions, and tinkering with lineups. This seemed to slow us down, but in a good way that was organic, rather than forced, like the weave.

I loved the scoring spread, which has to scare the bejeezus out of the ACC. Recently, Duke has been somewhat easy to guard. Assign your best perimeter player to Duke Player A, and your best interior player to Duke player B. Then have the other players slouch off their guy onto A or B, cause they guy they are assigned to is NOT going to beat you.

No more. We have 6-7 guys who can go off on you, and 2 more who will snake bite you when you ignore them. I love it. And best of all, none of them are real Defensive liabilities. Paulus and King are the closest, but both are smart, heady defenders, who are at least capable. UNC now has to take us seriously, and the rest of the ACC must be wetting themselves at the thought of this team, full of pi$$ed off kids eager to mete out revenge for recent dissappointing years. VT and UMD, I am looking in your direction.

As for today, Smith looked great. Zoubs and Thomas played better, and I loved the bench use. Great accross the board.

Patrick Yates
    Along with VT and UMD, don't forget FSU dancing around Cameron last year. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces this year.

Yeah But...

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Along with VT and UMD, don't forget FSU dancing around Cameron last year. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces this year.
    I agree, but I do not think FSU is as down as VT and UMD. We should beat all three, but I am really looking forward to sweeping UMD, and obliterating VT.

Patrick Yates

The only thing K expressed any dissatisfaction with in the post-game was the transition defense at several points during the game. Thay's what promoted the time out. K did not think Duke was communicating as well as it could in those situations. That was pretty much it. If you know K, you know that communication is a biggie.

He was very complimentary of Nolan. Said both Nolan and Taylor had their best week of practice this week. Said that Nolan is so conscientious, he was trying to do too much and was overthinking the game. This week they tried to simplify it to one word "attack." He attacked.

K noted the missed shots early and said that it probably should have been 60-40 at the half.

He also noted that it was a "grueling" week academically. Lots of papers due. He was glad Duke didn't have a midweek game.

Time Off

I think Duke looked a little sluggish today especially early on, presumably because of the layoff from the last game. We don't play a game until next Monday (12/17) vs Albany and then a quick turnaround vs Pitt that Thursday (12/20). After that the next game is Jan 6 vs Cornell.

That is 9 days from today until Albany
    3 days later vs Pitt
    Then 17 days off until the game vs Cornell
    Thats 3 games in 31 days folks

I know Albany and Cornell are not even up to par with Michigan, but does anyone else see this as a potential problem after not looking good early on after a 7 day layoff from Davidson to Michigan??

No. Duke has scheduled gimmes after every down period. They know what they are doing.