Hybrid View

Duke MBB vs. Michigan Post Game Thread

Post your game thoughts here.
    Bob Green
    United States Navy (Retired)
    @JBobGreen

I love the balance.

Taylor King

I didn't get to watch the game (I'm at work). Didn't get to listen to it, either. I was following along on the SI.com game-tracker thingy. When I saw that Taylor King hit two late 3-pointers, my heart rate increased and I punched the air with both fists. I LOVE that guy! By the time he leaves Duke, I won't be surprised if he's one of THE all-time fan favorites.

We scored 95 points, won by 28, and K sounds generally dissatisfied in the post game interview (and he explains his disappointment). I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    We scored 95 points, won by 28, and K sounds generally dissatisfied in the post game interview (and he explains his disappointment). I love it.
    Didnt see the post game interview, What was Coach K disappointed with? There were a couple things i was.. But mainly missing easy shots(in the beginning)

My guess would be that they did allow Michigan a decent amount of good looks during the game. A better team would have taken advantage! That's some K would be upset with! They did look rusty because of the time lag between games due to exams but then again, many teams are dealing with the same issue.

Our bench outscored our starters 54 - 41. We are deep.
    Bob Green
    @JBobGreen

The Slow Down

or rather, the complete lack thereof. Thank God. I like that K kept it going tonight. It seemed like he tried to slow the game down by making more substitutions, and tinkering with lineups. This seemed to slow us down, but in a good way that was organic, rather than forced, like the weave.

I loved the scoring spread, which has to scare the bejeezus out of the ACC. Recently, Duke has been somewhat easy to guard. Assign your best perimeter player to Duke Player A, and your best interior player to Duke player B. Then have the other players slouch off their guy onto A or B, cause they guy they are assigned to is NOT going to beat you.

No more. We have 6-7 guys who can go off on you, and 2 more who will snake bite you when you ignore them. I love it. And best of all, none of them are real Defensive liabilities. Paulus and King are the closest, but both are smart, heady defenders, who are at least capable. UNC now has to take us seriously, and the rest of the ACC must be wetting themselves at the thought of this team, full of pi$$ed off kids eager to mete out revenge for recent dissappointing years. VT and UMD, I am looking in your direction.

As for today, Smith looked great. Zoubs and Thomas played better, and I loved the bench use. Great accross the board.

Patrick Yates

I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    or rather, the complete lack thereof. Thank God. I like that K kept it going tonight. It seemed like he tried to slow the game down by making more substitutions, and tinkering with lineups. This seemed to slow us down, but in a good way that was organic, rather than forced, like the weave.

I loved the scoring spread, which has to scare the bejeezus out of the ACC. Recently, Duke has been somewhat easy to guard. Assign your best perimeter player to Duke Player A, and your best interior player to Duke player B. Then have the other players slouch off their guy onto A or B, cause they guy they are assigned to is NOT going to beat you.

No more. We have 6-7 guys who can go off on you, and 2 more who will snake bite you when you ignore them. I love it. And best of all, none of them are real Defensive liabilities. Paulus and King are the closest, but both are smart, heady defenders, who are at least capable. UNC now has to take us seriously, and the rest of the ACC must be wetting themselves at the thought of this team, full of pi$$ed off kids eager to mete out revenge for recent dissappointing years. VT and UMD, I am looking in your direction.

As for today, Smith looked great. Zoubs and Thomas played better, and I loved the bench use. Great accross the board.

Patrick Yates
    Along with VT and UMD, don't forget FSU dancing around Cameron last year. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces this year.

Yeah But...

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Along with VT and UMD, don't forget FSU dancing around Cameron last year. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces this year.
    I agree, but I do not think FSU is as down as VT and UMD. We should beat all three, but I am really looking forward to sweeping UMD, and obliterating VT.

Patrick Yates

The only thing K expressed any dissatisfaction with in the post-game was the transition defense at several points during the game. Thay's what promoted the time out. K did not think Duke was communicating as well as it could in those situations. That was pretty much it. If you know K, you know that communication is a biggie.

He was very complimentary of Nolan. Said both Nolan and Taylor had their best week of practice this week. Said that Nolan is so conscientious, he was trying to do too much and was overthinking the game. This week they tried to simplify it to one word "attack." He attacked.

K noted the missed shots early and said that it probably should have been 60-40 at the half.

He also noted that it was a "grueling" week academically. Lots of papers due. He was glad Duke didn't have a midweek game.

I cannot add a whole lot to the prior posts, but I was happy to see McClure getting up to speed and contributing, both rebounds and points. I thought Zoubek showed some improvement, which is good, but still has a way to go. I will not be surprised if by midseason he starts instead of Thomas.
    I was disappointed with our slow start (again) which is reminiscent of last year. Other teams also seem to be keying on Singler (I think), which may account for his lack of production (plus fouls). We are lucky to have Taylor King to go in there and push and shove.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The only thing K expressed any dissatisfaction with in the post-game was the transition defense at several points during the game. Thay's what promoted the time out. K did not think Duke was communicating as well as it could in those situations. That was pretty much it. If you know K, you know that communication is a biggie.

He was very complimentary of Nolan. Said both Nolan and Taylor had their best week of practice this week. Said that Nolan is so conscientious, he was trying to do too much and was overthinking the game. This week they tried to simplify it to one word "attack." He attacked.

K noted the missed shots early and said that it probably should have been 60-40 at the half.

He also noted that it was a "grueling" week academically. Lots of papers due. He was glad Duke didn't have a midweek game.
    He did sum up the game as a good but not great effort. I think he was a little perturbed about Mich shooting somewhere around 60% deep into the 2nd half. Transition D in the 2nd was his main gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Watching the game, I got the sense that K didn't go to the slow down despite being up 30 points because of the opponent, and being a bit miffed that they had fired Tommy. But, your explanation makes a bit more sense... going to different looks and using it is a tryout is a good way to go.

Still, later in the season there's going to be a situation, probably in a road game, when Duke is going to be up by 15 with 5 to go or 10 with 2 to go and absolutely need to go to a slow-down offense. This team has so far shown a number of different ways to execute the end-game, so there shouldn't be as much problem executing as last year's team did. There are no points for style in basketball, only for victories.

Defense

Although there were lots of positives in the game with Michigan, I was concerned about the half court defense. I didn't go back and check, but it seemed there were numerous occasions where a dribbler out front beat their man into the lane, which forced help from someone else to stop the drive. This then lead to a kickout to a man in the corner for an open 3-pointer. Fortunately, Michigan missed the vast majority of these open looks. A better shooting team would have made us pay for this big time. Not sure if this inability to stop the dribble drive was due to our crowding these guys out front or just being beaten by them - I don't recall who the defenders were on these.

On another front, I liked the energy that Lance started with on offense. Although he missed most of these shots, I liked that he was taking it to the rim and taking good shots. They will start to fall one of these days.

RE: Zoubek. His highlight for me occurred in the second half. Zoubs got stuffed on a shot. I mean absolutely stuffed. But he didn't pout, or whine, or look to the officials. He quickly got down on the floor-not that easy to do, I suspect, when you're 7'1"--wrestled the ball away from a Michigan player and retained possession. The definition of "next play."

Quote Originally Posted by southgater View Post
    Although there were lots of positives in the game with Michigan, I was concerned about the half court defense. I didn't go back and check, but it seemed there were numerous occasions where a dribbler out front beat their man into the lane, which forced help from someone else to stop the drive. This then lead to a kickout to a man in the corner for an open 3-pointer. Fortunately, Michigan missed the vast majority of these open looks. A better shooting team would have made us pay for this big time. Not sure if this inability to stop the dribble drive was due to our crowding these guys out front or just being beaten by them - I don't recall who the defenders were on these.
    Overplaying on the perimeter and relying on help defense is Duke's primary strategy. The objective is to disrupt the opponent before they can execute their half court offense, create turnovers and convert those turnovers into points. I don't recall our perimeter defenders being beaten badly during the game.

You raise a valid point about the kickout for an open three point attempt.
    Bob Green
    @JBobGreen

U-M has potential

As a Wolverine alum (as well as Blue Devil), I found a few things to like in Michigan.

1) Ekpe Udoh -- almost got a double-double. And the guy can block shots like Taylor King can shoot the three.

2) DeShawn Sims and Kelvin Grady. They both performed well under pressure. Sims was 5 of 11 from the field and Grady, for a freshman playing at Cameron, was impressive from the point.

Manny Harris had an off game, but his abilities and potential are well established. Michigan will be an okay team this year, and a good team next year.

Love to see the Dukies do what they do best, and they did it yesterday. Can't wait to see them play Pitt, that will be a real contest.

McClure- king of doing the "little things"

Just one more example of why we all love David McClure for doing all the little things. At the end of the first half when Greg dished to Nelson in the corner for a 3, Dave screened off the defender who was rushing out to challenge the shot.

Good look by Greg and good job by Nelson to knock down the shot but just wanted to point out the great job by Dave to make sure the shot went unchallenged. Great to have him back on the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Just one more example of why we all love David McClure for doing all the little things. At the end of the first half when Greg dished to Nelson in the corner for a 3, Dave screened off the defender who was rushing out to challenge the shot.

Good look by Greg and good job by Nelson to knock down the shot but just wanted to point out the great job by Dave to make sure the shot went unchallenged. Great to have him back on the floor!
    Absolutely, let's hope he stays healthy and gets some more playing time. Coach K will have one hell of a rotation w/ McClure coming off the bench. Despite our difficulties last season, David was incredible coming off the bench for us last year.