Stay classy, PennState!

Students Dress as VT Victims, Cause Outrage

"This is a group of college students who now think it's trendy to be upset about their friends being killed," one of the two Penn State students who wore the costume said. "I don't know what they teach people in Virginia Tech, but at Penn State we don't learn to threaten people with murder to teach them that murdering is wrong."
    amazing... simply amazing.

there are some costumes that you see and say "wow, that is really bad/gross/disgusting etc." but that you can kind of see the humor in.

For example, someone dressed as Steve Irwin with a sting ray duct-taped to their chest (a popular one last year)

This, however, is not one of those costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    there are some costumes that you see and say "wow, that is really bad/gross/disgusting etc." but that you can kind of see the humor in.

For example, someone dressed as Steve Irwin with a sting ray duct-taped to their chest (a popular one last year)

This, however, is not one of those costumes.
    Exactly.

Unbelievable. I mean...VERY unbelievable.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Exactly.

Unbelievable.

-EJ
    nice avatar uptdate btw.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    nice avatar uptdate btw.
    Thanks. It will be a running theme through December. By December 31, he will be beaten up pretty badly.

-EJ

These individuals' contact information was released and now they're receiving death threats. Incredible how some people just can't learn...

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    These individuals' contact information was released and now they're receiving death threats. Incredible how some people just can't learn...
    While I don't condone those actions (1. releasing the info and 2. death threats), what the hell were they thinking publishing these pictures online (facebook) in the first place (assuming they did it themselves)? That's like painting "NASCAR Sucks" and "gay pride" on your car and driving through Alabama

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    While I don't condone those actions (1. releasing the info and 2. death threats), what the hell were they thinking publishing these pictures online (facebook) in the first place (assuming they did it themselves)? That's like painting "NASCAR Sucks" and "gay pride" on your car and driving through Alabama
    If that Top Gear/Youtube video wasn't staged then there are some seriously F-ed up people living in Alabama. How on GOd's earth can you allow those people to vote? Actually, their right to vote explains a lot.

Here's the scenario I hope for. These idiots graduate. They interview for a job that they really, really want. The person in charge of hiring is a VaTech graduate. After selecting them as his ideal candidate, the hiring manager decides to do his due diligence and, through the wonder of the internets, look these folks up to see if they've got any compromising pictures floating about.

In this age where almost anything you post lasts forever how would anyone with any sense whatsoever post something like this?

That is unbelievable. It's not that they let the pictures go public, in college it is impossible to keep pictures off the internet because someone always has a camera and every picture usually ends up on Facebook - but they should know that. They should also know, given that they are at least 18 years old, how incredibly disrespectful and distasteful it is to even think about putting that costume on. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Here's the scenario I hope for. These idiots graduate. They interview for a job that they really, really want. The person in charge of hiring is a VaTech graduate. After selecting them as his ideal candidate, the hiring manager decides to do his due diligence and, through the wonder of the internets, look these folks up to see if they've got any compromising pictures floating about.

In this age where almost anything you post lasts forever how would anyone with any sense whatsoever post something like this?
    I don't even think the person hiring would have to be a VA Tech graduate for the interviewer/decision maker to be disgusted to the point of saying, "See Ya."

-EarlJam

I'd like to see those heartless PSU kids be made to view the crime scene photos, to have to explain their choice of costume to the parents of the victims - something to reconnect them with humanity and the fact that this was not a video game, and that murder of innocents is no matter for mocking or laughing.

Jeez and the one guy was totally unrepentant and callous when called on it (listen to the news video on the link at the top).

This is why I really feel like today's society can't handle freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Jeez and the one guy was totally unrepentant and callous when called on it (listen to the news video on the link at the top).
    I only read the newspaper summary - but it sounded like his point was they weren't trying to be funny - only going for pure shock value. Apparently they wanted to out-do last year's costumes as victims of the Amish school shooting.

This really brings up an interesting parallel to the South Park episode where they discussed the amount of time you have to wait before something can be joked about (in their case, AIDS). I forget the exact amount (around 20 years?) No matter what it was, this is way too soon. But it does make you think - because I've heard jokes or funny references to the Kent State massacre in the past decade or so that wouldn't have worked 40 years ago but now I don't hear hardly anyone complaining or decrying them.

Maybe it's just your audience as well. People who were on campus at Kent State that day might not be amused, but everyone else lets it go. Same for WWII - I've heard lots of material about that, but most of the only people who might stand up and say "that's not funny" would be veterans or other contemporaries of the war.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I only read the newspaper summary - but it sounded like his point was they weren't trying to be funny - only going for pure shock value. Apparently they wanted to out-do last year's costumes as victims of the Amish school shooting.

This really brings up an interesting parallel to the South Park episode where they discussed the amount of time you have to wait before something can be joked about (in their case, AIDS). I forget the exact amount (around 20 years?) No matter what it was, this is way too soon. But it does make you think - because I've heard jokes or funny references to the Kent State massacre in the past decade or so that wouldn't have worked 40 years ago but now I don't hear hardly anyone complaining or decrying them.

Maybe it's just your audience as well. People who were on campus at Kent State that day might not be amused, but everyone else lets it go. Same for WWII - I've heard lots of material about that, but most of the only people who might stand up and say "that's not funny" would be veterans or other contemporaries of the war.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the "reason" for the costume came up after the damage had been done, as a way to kind of blunt the blow. If people dressed up as the victims of the Amish shooting - that is also in horribly bad taste, and exceedingly inappropriate.

If you want to make a political statement, write a letter to the editor or stage a rally. Dressing up as the shooting victims for Halloween, a holiday often associated with fun and revelry, is gross.

I'm old enough to remember Johnny Carson once making a joke about Abraham Lincoln's assassination - and his audience hissed and groaned. Apparently it was still too early to make light of it.

If these PSU jerks also made fun of the Amish school shooting, they're seriously twisted people who have no sense of humanity, i.e., the kind of folks who were in demand in central Europe during the early 1940s.

I thought they'd also dressed up as the mine victims from West Virginia a couple years ago? If all 3 costumes are true, it's difficult to see why anyone is even acknowledging these people at all at this point.