Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

College Campuses

Here are a couple of interesting lists.

The 20 most beautiful college campuses in America (I particularly like the photo from Kenyon College):

http://campussqueeze.com/the-20-most...es-in-the-usa/

And the 20 ugliest college campuses in America (Duke fans will appreciate #20 and #7 on this list):

http://campussqueeze.com/static/20-u...n-the-USA.html

I would have swapped Pitt for CMU on the worst colleges list. CMU has a real campus and a few interesting buildings. Pitt has... well, it's right next to CMU, so people might confuse it.

I'd put Dartmouth in the Top 20 too, but then I have a thing for classic New England architecture.

I knew NC State would be in there somewhere. And it was - #7. I think they deserve a higher ranking!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Here are a couple of interesting lists.

The 20 most beautiful college campuses in America (I particularly like the photo from Kenyon College):

http://campussqueeze.com/the-20-most...es-in-the-usa/

And the 20 ugliest college campuses in America (Duke fans will appreciate #20 and #7 on this list):

http://campussqueeze.com/static/20-u...n-the-USA.html
    There is a spot about 8 feet square on the quad at the University of Maryland, where if you stand there looking toward McKeldin Library right at sunset, you will actually think you are on an attractive college campus. All the rest is incredibly ugly. When even the Schol of Architecture has an ugly building you know you've got problems.

If State is #7...

where is Chapaheeya? Chapaheeya is Carolina Ugly.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

How do you have Princeton #2 and Duke not on the list? The architecture is identical.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

campuses

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    where is Chapaheeya? Chapaheeya is Carolina Ugly.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Where is Chapaheeya? You REALLY need to ask that? They are in hell where they belong, oh silly fellow. I hate to admit the next part, however. Their campus is rather pretty, as long as there is no nasty blue in sight.

I couldn't tell if those were supposed to be commentary on the architecture or the overall feel of the campus.
    If it includes overall feel, then it is a travesty to leave UCSC off the list. This place feels like an Ewok is going to jump out at any moment... then you go down hill a bit and get an incredible panoramic view of Monterey Bay. Pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    How do you have Princeton #2 and Duke not on the list? The architecture is identical.
    It's probably because we essentially lifted our architecture from the Ivies/England. Though I'm sure we wouldn't have to try too hard to frame it as yet another instance of Duke-hate.

I find all of this somewhat offensive.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Why?

Slightly redeeming

Okay, so I browsed through some of their archived posts, and in one of their earliest lists, campussqueeze does go after UNC (not sure I agree with their analysis, but whatever):

http://campussqueeze.com/the-five-mo...ege-nicknames/

This is a more frightening/enlightening post, however. (Warning, do not read after eating. Or before eating): http://campussqueeze.com/crazy-ramen-recipes/

I find the ugliest campus thing a little off-putting. But I have no problems with the "prettiest" campus list. There are some incredibly beautiful campuses around the country and I think celebrating those who have valued fine architecture, landscaping, and being good stewards of what they have to be a positive thing. I am curious why you find it offensive.

I was pleased to see Elon make the list - I've always thought it was a beautiful campus that blended very well with the charming little town that surrounds it.

For the bottom 20, the author says trees don't help anything, but in his top 20, he has a couple entires for which the attractiveness of the picture depends solely on the trees (New College of FL being the prime example).

Not an impressive ranking system. But I was glad to see a picture of Rhodes. I have a friend whose daughter goes there and I had no idea it looked that good.

I thought Flager looked pretty cool, even though I've never heard of it.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Why? Is someone not allowed to list what they think are attractive and unattractive campuses? It is only their opinion, after all. Are they not entitled to it?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Not an impressive ranking system. But I was glad to see a picture of Rhodes. I have a friend whose daughter goes there and I had no idea it looked that good.
    Rhodes is a pretty school, but I would put both Duke and Princeton ahead of it in the "College Gothic" category.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I thought Flager looked pretty cool, even though I've never heard of it.
    I want to say Flagler is in St. Augustine, FL?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I want to say Flagler is in St. Augustine, FL?
    You are correct. It's about 20 miles away from where I live. Awesome area to go to college in. I think they currently attract a lot of trendy, alternative-type kids.

Speaking of where I live, I learned last night that apparently Christian Laettner and his family live in my area also, in Ponte Vedra Beach. The wife of a friend of mine has "babysat" his son.
    Last edited by Duke4Ever32; 12-06-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: adding additional info

If NCSU is on there, then the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) and Wright State University (Dayton, OH) should be there, too. Used to work at UT -- the orange alone should qualify it! And Wright State is just a collection of nondescript buildings devoid of most forms of vegetation. Combined with the dreary Dayton winters, it's understandable why most students spend a lot of time in the underground tunnel system networking many buildings.

I've spent a lot of time this past semester on NCSU's campus (picking up/dropping off my daughter and her friends), and while it's not picturesque like Duke, it's not nearly as bad as some others.