Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seen any good movies lately?

Went to see American Gangster the other day--Solid film, my wife and I both enjoyed it. Denzel does a great job and the acting overall is top notch. I would recommend it.

Anybody heard anything about Charlie Wilson's War? I'm intrigued with Hanks and Roberts co-starring and it seems like an interesting story.

Also looking forward to The Great Debaters with Denzel and Forest Whitaker. Based on a true story about a professor who grooms a rag tag debate team to greatness and gets them a shot at debating the champion Harvard debate team. Looks promising.

Switching gears to the sci-fi side, I am Legend with Will Smith interests me a little. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but something about this gets my attention. Anybody heard anything about it one way or the other?

I saw Youth Without Youth last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The movie is very much an experience and you need to buy in to what is happening in order to really appreciate it. A lot of the people I went with did not enjoy it at all.

I saw Across the Universe for the first time Monday night and really, really loved it. I am a sucker for a musical and a huge Beatles fan and I think that the two really went well together. The scene where Jude sings "Revolution" to Lucy is, I think, one of the best written and performed scenes I have ever seen - and overall I was extremely impressed with how the songs were woven seamlessly into the script. I also really enjoyed the obscure Beatles references, some of which I got the first time, some of which I didn't. I was really, really happy with it.

I am Legend is the fourth movie version of a book by the same name (Richard Matheson, 1954). The book has an excellent twist ending. The work was also the inspiration for night of the living dead, and the ensuing host of zombie horror movies.

No idea how true the new movie is to the book (I suspect a changed ending), but early buzz is positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    No idea how true the new movie is to the book (I suspect a changed ending), but early buzz is positive.
    I hope they don't change the ending... the ending was the point of the whole book!

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    I hope they don't change the ending... the ending was the point of the whole book!
    Agreed, but... deleted spoiler since I can't find the right color to mask it.

Nothing in the theaters interests me at this moment. Not sure if anything for the Christmas season looks that good either.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Nothing in the theaters interests me at this moment. Not sure if anything for the Christmas season looks that good either.
    Well, "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" opened this weekend, and could be a fun family film. In this thread, Jason Evans says that "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" is a must see, and it just opened, too.

Next week, we have the new Bond film, "Quantum of Solace". After that, I'm looking forward to taking the kids to see "Bolt" when it opens on Nov. 21. That same weekend, "Twilight", the teen vampire novel sensation comes to the big screen.

Going into December, "Frost/Nixon" opens on Dec. 5th. "Doubt" is getting some pre-Oscar buzz and opens on Dec. 12th. "The Tale of Despereaux" could be the fun family pic of the Christmas season, and opens on Dec. 19th. And lastly, I'm interested in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", starring Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, and Tilda Swinton. It opens on Christmas.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I forgot about the Bond flick...after having lost the Blu-ray HD DVD battle I tuned Bond out. Well, except for all the films I have on regular DVD. Hmmm, I may need to go the theater sooner than I thought.

I saw "Happy Go Lucky" last weekend. It was decent but not worthy of its lofty RT.com rating.

Cool

I forgot about the Bond flick...after having lost the Blu-ray HD DVD battle I tuned Bond out. Well, except for all the films I have on regular DVD. Hmmm, I may need to go the theater sooner than I thought.
    Even I'll go to the theater for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Even I'll go to the theater for this one.
    Perhaps I missed a discussion on this, but I doubt I'll bother with QoS. I think Craig may go down as the worst Bond ever due to this annoying wussification of the character. I don't want to see him crying or getting his butt handed to him. Bond is supposed to be a larger than life superpimp, not some flawed whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Perhaps I missed a discussion on this, but I doubt I'll bother with QoS. I think Craig may go down as the worst Bond ever due to this annoying wussification of the character. I don't want to see him crying or getting his butt handed to him. Bond is supposed to be a larger than life superpimp, not some flawed whiner.
    Oooooh... wait until Tilly reads that.

Craig will not be the worst ever... you forget Dalton and Lazenby.

As to your final line, the last scene in OHMSS probably did in Lazenby. Well, that and the acting thing.

I am awaiting further judgment on Craig... but "wussified"/crying would not be the first two words I'd use to describe him.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan. Talk about wussies...

Smile

Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan. Talk about wussies...
    Moore NEVER cried as Bond.

Brosnan didn't cry, but he DEFINITELY got tortured by Sophie Marceau. The recurring torture scenes of Bond lately have been too over-the-top/ugly.

I miss Q and Moneypenny.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    The recurring torture scenes of Bond lately have been too over-the-top/ugly.

I miss Q and Moneypenny.
    Nailed it! My biggest gripes with the modern Bond franchise. I say let it die. They are besmirching Ian Fleming's good name.

I see that Tale of Despereaux comes out this week on DVD. Did anybody see it? Is it worth it? We buy lots of DVDs for the kids. Just wondering it this one's any good. I noticed it has Emma Watson, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, Tracey Ullman, and William H. Macy in it, but I realize that doesn't automatically make it good.

Been churning through my Netflix queue . . .

Watched Frozen River, very interesting. Saw The Changeling, was yelling obscenities at the LA cops. Watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, very upsetting even though I read the book and knew what would happen. The boy who played Schmuel will break your heart. Have Cadillac Records coming tomorrow, then Slumdog and Doubt.

Excellent bunch of movies out recently!

I recently saw two winners;

First, "I Love You Man," which was predictable but funny and, ultimately, sweet.

Second, I finally saw "Pineapple Express" which was awesome... perfectly paced and really hysterical.

So yeah... I normally hate all movies, but I've been pleasantly surprised recently!

Oh, and the wife watched "Australia." Eh. However, I will say that as a totally straight guy who loves cars and guns... man, that Hugh Jackman is dreamy!
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-06-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: let's not turn this into a beefcake thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I recently saw two winners;

First, "I Love You Man," which was predictable but funny and, ultimately, sweet.

Second, I finally saw "Pineapple Express" which was awesome... perfectly paced and really hysterical.

So yeah... I normally hate all movies, but I've been pleasantly surprised recently!

Oh, and the wife watched "Australia." Eh. However, I will say that as a totally straight guy who loves cars and guns... man, that Hugh Jackman is dreamy!
    I feel like Hugh Jackman has enough hollywood weight to push around that he shouldn't be doing this Wolverine movie. There's got to be better choices out there for him.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-06-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: removed redacted material

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus09 View Post
    I feel like Hugh Jackman has enough hollywood weight to push around that he shouldn't be doing this Wolverine movie. There's got to be better choices out there for him.
    X-men has to be one of the most successful movie series out there, with box office revenues in excess of 2 billion dollars.

Not sure why he wouldnt want to star in a movie that is almost guaranteed to be a hit at the boxoffice.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.