Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If Paulus could go past his man and hit the floater it would mean that defensive players could not pressure him like they do. Right now unless he has a lane to the basket he has nowhere to go. Think about how many assists he could have once players have to respect him in the key.

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

I enjoy Gerald being Gerald

Comparisons are great to make and they do help to better describe a player. Gerald is graceful and talented like Grant. And sometimes, I remember the 1994 Grant Hill and think that he was that outstanding a leader for four years, when maybe he wasn't. And, I admit, several times this year I have seen a Gerald Henderson play (mainly on turn-around jumpers) and thought to myself - "He looks like Kobe on that play." This is not to say that he is Grant or Kobe or that he is "as good" as Grant or Kobe. Just that their are striking similarities in their games.

For the rest of it, however, Gerald will have to make his own way. Can he be a leader? Can he elevate the players around him to a new level? Can he hit the key baskets? Can he become a dedicated, lock-down defender? All of these questions will be fun to answer over the next 2 1/2 years (I hope). Consistency and leadership - that is what will make Gerald Henderson. I think that he can become that star in his own right. I hope we get to see it happen.

Maybe one day we'll be able to see a young budding star for Duke and say - "He reminds me of Gerald Henderson." And our friends on DBR will answer back - "No way, he'll never be as good as Henderson."

Here's to this exciting season.

You play with what you got and 98% of the coaches in the country would give you their right arm for the talent on Duke. Paulus is the best point guard on this team. He is playing about 27 minutes per game and I expect that to go up slightly when we get to ACC play. One of the reasons he has less than 4 assists per game, IMO, is the increased one-on-one play by Nelson and Henderson. Based on what I've seen, I prefer that approach over driving and throwing out to them for long jump shots.

Getting back to Henderson, I think that he and Nelson prefer to go to the basket rather than hang around the perimeter.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    One of the reasons he has less than 4 assists per game, IMO, is the increased one-on-one play by Nelson and Henderson. Based on what I've seen, I prefer that approach over driving and throwing out to them for long jump shots.

Getting back to Henderson, I think that he and Nelson prefer to go to the basket rather than hang around the perimeter.

gw67
    I thought I was clear, but if I wasn't, this is exactly what I was trying to say. and i also agree that right now I prefer the approach of having nelson and henderson try and create...

Wow, this is getting really interesting; good show gentlemen.

One thing to note as a possible credit to the K man is the apparent change in defensive focus to go with the new offense.

The defensive intensity is there but the time spent on defense on each possession seems to have diminished. K wants more shots. DeMarcus and Henderson are not being asked to expend as much of their legs on defense.

Also, last year the offense looked to occupy a lot of clock, as did the defense. I think that constrained the basketball IQs of some of the players, those more gifted athletically, in particular.

Now, guys like DeMarcus and Henderson can do it when they see it, and they see it pretty quickly and clearly. Never underestimate the intelligence of Duke players, especially those two.

You make them play in a slow down set as last year, and their ability to "see and go", which set them apart from the crowd as prep stars, is not fully utilized. Now it seems it is.

The combination of basketball skills, athleticism, and smarts on this team holds terrific promise. When you see these guys, all of them not just D and H, make terrific plays, attribute it at least in part to their being a tad smarter than their opponents. I think K is counting on it.

Before I close, I think that Scheyer's match of skills and intelligence is truly extraordinary. Some guys need to be in the game to feel and understand it. He seems to figure it out and regulate his body in the minutes that he is watching. Can hit the ground with a running start that surprises.
    Last edited by greybeard; 12-05-2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: mention something about Scheyer at end