Early Season Look at ACC Stats

I like to look at the ACC stats every week or so to compare teams and individuals. Most schools have played 6-10 games and trends are beginning to show up. Some thoughts:

Duke – High scoring and stingy defense. Shooting from the field and 3-point area is outstanding and shooting from foul line is good. Assists are up and turnovers are down compared to last year. The Devils are middle-of-the-pack in other areas. The team is well balanced with only Scheyer (free throw %) and King (3-pt %) showing up near the top in the individual categories.

Good Performances – Florida State is shooting almost 81% from the free throw line. Miami and Virginia join Duke as outstanding shooting teams from 3-point line and Virginia is making over 10.5 per game. Virginia is outrebounding its’ opponents by nearly 17 a game. Clemson is averaging over 12 steals a game. Individuals off to a good start include Rice, Singletary and Hansbrough in scoring, Spears in rebounding, Hickson in shooting from the field, Swann and Singletary in free throw percentage, Diane and Ellington in shooting percentage from 3-point land, and Hammonds in assist/TO.

Early Conclusions –
    • Aside from Duke and UNC, the teams that show well are Virginia and Clemson. The Cavs are an interesting combination of an outside shooting team that rebounds. If they can improve their ballhanding they can be an outstanding offensive team. Clemson will never be a great shooting team but they have improved and they have a freshman who is shooting over 90% from the foul line. They are also a strong defensive team.
    • Singler and Nelson will likely be the only stat stuffers on the Devils this year and I doubt that they will wind up near the leaders in any category.
    • As expected, Hansbrough and Singletary have gotten off to good starts and I expect them to be joined by Rice as almost automatic choices for All ACC. Several others, including Ellington, Singler, Nelson, Hickson, Hammonds and eventually Lawson will vie for the other spots on the 1st team, IMO.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb.../confldrs.html

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    • Singler and Nelson will likely be the only stat stuffers on the Devils this year and I doubt that they will wind up near the leaders in any category.
    I think this is a good thing as the stats will be spread over a deep team. However, I expect Greg to make a run at ACC top 5 or 10 in assists and possibly scoring.

BTW, Miami is very surprising.