Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Tis the season-lights on your house

As self-appointed DBR head elf, I promised some holiday threads a while back, but the homework elf has largely precluded me from doing so as of yet (jerk).
    The question is, do y'all put lights up on the outside of your house? I have never before lived in a place suitable to do so, but this year, I finally have. I have icicle lights hanging from the gutter all the way across the front of the house, standard lights wrapped around the porch railings/supports and banisters, a bit of garland on the porch, and some strategically placed red bows. I also have, right smack in the floor-to-ceiling window on the front of my house, an outstanding Christmas tree. I've been taking study breaks to go stand in the street and look at my house (seriously).
    What's the general feeling on outside decoration around here?

The lights on the outside of the home is a tricky one. There is a fine line between tasteful and tacky when it comes to Christmas lights. We went with the candle lights in all the windows with the tree in the window. I may put a nativity scene with a spotlight in the lawn...haven't yet made up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    The lights on the outside of the home is a tricky one. There is a fine line between tasteful and tacky when it comes to Christmas lights. We went with the candle lights in all the windows with the tree in the window. I may put a nativity scene with a spotlight in the lawn...haven't yet made up my mind.
    IMO it is always better to lean strongly toward tacky. The more lights the better.

My youngest son loves lighted reindeer. Each year we buy a new one. We currently have a herd of seven. Six are the white wire lighted kind. The seventh is a very large Clyde Jones reindeer I am fortunate enough to have. At Christmas he gets garland on his antlers and a spotlight shining on him (the reindeer, not the artist).

Talking Tacky?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    IMO it is always better to lean strongly toward tacky. The more lights the better.
    One of our neighbors has landing strip lights for Santa's sleigh. Is that tacky enough for you?

Gnomes would be better. The more tacky lawn ornaments, the better. And you can't have enough snowmen. I don't care for the giant inflatable snowglobe displays.

I miss Camy Street in Durham. Christmas just isn't the same without Santa's helicopter.

Remember to try to get energy-conscious, sustainable LED lights for your tree. They pose less of a fire hazard, and you don't have to worry about that one nasty bulb that goes out. Head Elf: Our Office of Sustainability Initiatives may have other ideas for you.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    One of our neighbors has landing strip lights for Santa's sleigh. Is that tacky enough for you?

Gnomes would be better. The more tacky lawn ornaments, the better. And you can't have enough snowmen. I don't care for the giant inflatable snowglobe displays.

I miss Camy Street in Durham. Christmas just isn't the same without Santa's helicopter.

Remember to try to get energy-conscious, sustainable LED lights for your tree. They pose less of a fire hazard, and you don't have to worry about that one nasty bulb that goes out. Head Elf: Our Office of Sustainability Initiatives may have other ideas for you.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    In Durham (Parkwood), on Oliver Lane, is a house that traditionally had a house and yard completely decorated. Part of the motif was 1/2 the roof was Duke and 1/2 UNC. Quite a sight.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    As self-appointed DBR head elf, I promised some holiday threads a while back, but the homework elf has largely precluded me from doing so as of yet (jerk).
    The question is, do y'all put lights up on the outside of your house? I have never before lived in a place suitable to do so, but this year, I finally have. I have icicle lights hanging from the gutter all the way across the front of the house, standard lights wrapped around the porch railings/supports and banisters, a bit of garland on the porch, and some strategically placed red bows. I also have, right smack in the floor-to-ceiling window on the front of my house, an outstanding Christmas tree. I've been taking study breaks to go stand in the street and look at my house (seriously).
    What's the general feeling on outside decoration around here?
    I had every intention of getting lights up this weekend (icicle lights on the front arbor, standard lights around the roof of the house, and lighted garland on the porch bannisters) until it snowed/rained for 3 1/2 days straight. I love me some Christmas lights, but not enough to navigate a slanted roof in driving rain. Hopefully it'll stay at least moderately dry next weekend so I can actually get them up. In the meantime, I did get a live wreath to hang on the door (and it looks mighty fine, thank you very much).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

My feeling is the outside should be all white lights. I think colored lights have a time and place (inside?), but I love driving down areas where all the houses in a row are filled with white lights on the trees, bushes and wherever else.

Lawn ornaments are unacceptable - UNLESS you plan on putting 10,000+ lights outside. Then anything goes =)

My father once put 1000 lights on a single five foot spruce tree (really a glorified shrub). The poor guy (who is usually quite handy around the house) had plugged each string of lights into the next, and couldn't figure out why he kept blowing fuses.
    Once he figured out that he could put on even more lights (!) if he ran three different extension cords to the tree, well, nothing could stop him.

I spent too many years as his helper elf in these sorts of holiday adventures to ever put lights on my own place - I have paid my dues, in sheer numbers of lights, if nothing else.

(That being said, the outside of my parent's house is, IMO, actually tastefully decorated - all white lights and no strange critters or holiday vignettes staked out in the yard. And I would be happy to help my father out with his again, if I am ever visiting them at the appropriate time.)

I don't do lights outside, mainly because I'm too short to hang them up by myself.

My mother on the other hand more than makes up for my lack of outdoor/indoor lights. She has icicles up outside, and just about every room in the house has lights and decorations. Even the bathroom downstairs has a nativity scene. In her bay window, which is on the front of the house, she will have a huge nativity scene with lights.

The only lights I have up are the ones on the tree, which this year include pink lights (I <3 pink, even at Christmas), pink lights around the breakfast bar, and white lights around the mirror above the fireplace. When all the other lights are turned off it is beautiful in my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    My feeling is the outside should be all white lights. I think colored lights have a time and place (inside?), but I love driving down areas where all the houses in a row are filled with white lights on the trees, bushes and wherever else.
    White lights on black background triggers my migraines. SERIOUSLY. Colored lights rule!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

Lawn ornaments are unacceptable - UNLESS you plan on putting 10,000+ lights outside. Then anything goes =)
    I strongly agree. All of the lights on my house and tree are white, as they have been and will be for all of my life.

Growing up, we had an aluminum tree with a color wheel at the base.

It was awesome. The greatest "excitement" leading up to the 25th was watching and listening to dad put the piece-of-sh*t tree together. He would curse, and curse and curse, occassionally propel a fake tree limb. But in the end, there it was, in all its glory - an aluminum tree reflecting the multi-colors of the battery operated plastic color wheel at its base.

That, to me, EarlJam, is what Christmas is all about.

-EarlJam

uh

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I had every intention of getting lights up this weekend (icicle lights on the front arbor, standard lights around the roof of the house, and lighted garland on the porch bannisters) until it snowed/rained for 3 1/2 days straight. I love me some Christmas lights, but not enough to navigate a slanted roof in driving rain. Hopefully it'll stay at least moderately dry next weekend so I can actually get them up. In the meantime, I did get a live wreath to hang on the door (and it looks mighty fine, thank you very much).
    i would come to Seattle myself and hang your lights for you while you watched TV with a beer, for 3 days of rain in Durham.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=5812857

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Pfr, you didn't have to deal with snow as well? Our 3" wasn't gone until Sunday afternoon, and that's only thanks to the rain washing most of it away.

But yeah, once our gutters get emptied, they'll be sporting some nice white icicle lights, and the trimmed tree will be glowing in the front window, to be seen by all who drive by.

A Bright, Shiney, Aluminum Christmas Tree

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The more lights the better.
    Or, you could say "The more lights, the brighter."

Sort of like an aloha shirt-" The louder, the brighter"

Anyway, you must never forget when putting up lights, that the more you put up, the more you have to take down.

All I want is what I have coming to me.
    All I want is my fair share.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post

All I want is what I have coming to me.
    All I want is my fair share.
    Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest.

I've been accused.

'fess up Wilson. What do you really want?

Answer: REAL ESTATE.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. Man's best friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    'fess up Wilson. What do you really want?

Answer: REAL ESTATE.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. Man's best friend!
    Good grief.