Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Duke View Post
    What Legion should do is talk to his buddy and former Oak Hill teammate Nolan Smith, at which point Smith will tell him to check into Duke. At the same time, Smith should pitch the idea to Coach K.

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES!
    He doesn't appear to fit the Duke mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    He doesn't appear to fit the Duke mold.
    plus, not to bag on the guy's mom, but haven't we had enough parent head-cases without adding another to the program?

Hi,

This sure does seem like a bad situation just getting worse. Geez, how many college games has the young man even played?

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

a quick, slashing guard doesn't "fit the Duke mold?"

well i guess we should get rid of Nolan Smith, DeMarcus Nelson, and Gerald Henderson....

I think....

a quick, slashing guard doesn't "fit the Duke mold?"

well i guess we should get rid of Nolan Smith, DeMarcus Nelson, and Gerald Henderson....
    Can't really speak for the poster, but I think they were saying Legion the person, (not the player) doesn't fit the Duke mold. Whether that is true or not I don't know, just wanted to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Can't really speak for the poster, but I think they were saying Legion the person, (not the player) doesn't fit the Duke mold. Whether that is true or not I don't know, just wanted to clarify.
    There are lots of great players who might help Duke in some very short run, but either don't fit Duke academically, personality wise, or in terms of specific team needs at the time. Not intending this as a personal slam on these specific players but from a pure skill standpoint, certainly Duke (or any team) could use guys like Mayo or Beasley. We didn't go after them, as far as I know, for a variety of these reasons, I imagine.

From one perspective, I can see one's interest in Legion as he does play a role Duke has been more willing to stockpile (athletic, smooth shooting guards/wings), and may have a legitimate friendship with some of Duke's current players.

But from the other perspective, Duke only rarely considers transfers at all, and this specific player has a parent who, fairly or not, sends out really sketchy/concerning vibes as a possible harmful influence on a basketball program. If, whether fair or the complete story, or not, Duke didn't go after Kevin Love due to some concern about his father's overbearing influence, they certainly wouldn't consider it regarding a good but somewhat lower tier player at a position they are arguably overstocked at as is. This is before one even begins to consider how stocked the 2009 class is with excellent guards/wings we are pursuing.

Duke should not and fortunately does not need to simply stockpile top players, regardless of situation and fit. We have a team right now with excellent chemistry and some more good recruits being lined up for the coming years, and I'm excited to run with the horses we've got right now!

(Though if Legion were a burly but fleet footed Power Forward, chemistry be damned! jk )

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was wishful thinking and like i said would NEVER in a million years actually happen, but can one daydream a little bit?

and yes i neglected the personality aspect, but basketball wise he'd def. "fit the duke mold" athletically

Well, I would think that character is even more important than personality.

but basketball wise he'd def. "fit the duke mold" athletically
    Well so would Mayo, but we didnt go after him?

Legion is not in the same league as Mayo

and I just haven't seen anyone on Mayo's level commit to Duke in quite a while

Legion is not in the same league as Mayo

and I just haven't seen anyone on Mayo's level commit to Duke in quite a while
    I wasn't saying he was in the same league. I just meant he was athletic and has mayo like behavior.

Legion is more athletic than a good amount of players on Duke's current roster.