Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACC Awards

ACC Awards

COY: Dave Leitao
    POY: Al Thornton
    ROY (they don't actually do this one, do they?): Jon Scheyer
    All-ACC 1st team: Hansblahblah, Jared Dudley, J.R. Reynolds, Zabian Dowdell, Javaris Crittenton.

I just threw these out there for the sake of discussion...so....discuss.

COY - Dave Leitao
    POY - Jared Dudley
    ROY - Brandan Wright

All ACC 1st Team - Singletary, Dowdell, Dudley, Thornton, Hanstravel

feldspar - My only disagreement with your list 1st team list would be that you have Thornton as POY but not 1st team ACC.

*edited - meant to put Singletary not Reynolds
    Last edited by DukeDevilsBB; 02-27-2007 at 10:06 AM.

ACC Awards

COY - Leitao (Skinner a close second - he had to handle a mid-season crisis)

POY - Dudley (this is tought - could also have gone with Thornton)

ROY - Wright - he's had the biggest impact

1st Team - Thornton, Dudley, Singletary, The Traveling Man, Dowdell

Awards

COY: Seth Greenberg
    POY: Sean Singletary
    1st team: Hansborough, Wright, Singletary, Dowdell, Dudley
    ROY: Wright

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post

feldspar - My only disagreement with your list 1st team list would be that you have Thornton as POY but not 1st team ACC.
    I couldn't remember if the ACC does like other leagues and does not inlcude the POY in the All-Conference selection.
    Last edited by feldspar; 02-27-2007 at 10:15 AM.

The ROY award

I think the ROY award should go to his Coka-cola commercial where he tells the story of his mother leaving him dimes on the counter each morning so he could have a drink after school with his buddies.

It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

The only one I feel strongly about:

POY: Sean Singletary

Three reasons:

Carried the load at Virginia.

Freakishly good individual play at times.

Other candidates have worse defects. Particularly Dudley. Really think he showed mental weakness in Duke loss and other recent games.

Leito is more likely to get COY than Singletary to get POY, where it should be reversed, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I couldn't remember if the ACC does like other leagues and does not inlcude the POY in the All-Conference selection.

Im 100% sure you can be both POY and 1st Team all ACC....JJ was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post
    Im 100% sure you can be both POY and 1st Team all ACC....JJ was last year.
    Then I'd definitely replace Crittenton with Thornton. Also, I must have been reading theACC.com's stats wrong, because I could have sworn that Reynolds actually had better numbers than Singletary, but looking back I guess not.

So, I'm going with Thornton as POY, All-ACC: Singletary, Dudley, Dowdell, Thornton, Hansblahblah.

COY: Leitao
    POY: Thornton
    ROY: Wright, Scheyer close 2nd

1st Team: Thornton, Singletary, Dudley, Hansbrough, Dowdell
    2nd Team: McRoberts, Crittenton, Wright, Reynolds, Nelson

Bird - I'm not sure you can say that Singletary carried the load at Virginia when JR Reynolds has been averaging 21 ppg in ACC games.

Plus, he has Jason Cain you know...

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    What league does this?

POY: Singletary
    COY: Winner of Thursday night's UVa-VPI game.
    All-ACC: Hansbrough, Singletary, Thornton, Dudley, Dowdell
    Last edited by Duvall; 02-27-2007 at 11:13 AM.

It seems the first team all acc is pretty much a consensus pick.

Dowdell, Singletary, Thornton, Dudley, Hanstravel

I think in the ACC, the top vote getter for 1st team All-ACC is crowned the POY. I believe that's how it usually works
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I think in the ACC, the top vote getter for 1st team All-ACC is crowned the POY. I believe that's how it usually works
    No, I'm pretty sure it's a separate ballot. The two awards are announced separately.

Singletary v. Reynolds

Carlos says: "Bird - I'm not sure you can say that Singletary carried the load at Virginia when JR Reynolds has been averaging 21 ppg in ACC games."

You are correct, of course. Looking at the season stats, Singleltary and Reynolds have similar profiles:

Season:

Scoring

Singletary – 18.2 per game
    Reynolds – 18.5 per game (Reynolds edged up in ACC play)

Minutes played:

Singletary – 32.9
    Reynolds – 32.0

Rebounds

Singletary –4.4 per game
    Reynolds – 4.2 per game

Assists

Singletary – 128 total
    Reynolds – 103 total

Steals

Singletary – 36 total
    Reynolds – 23 total

All ACC Awards

I believe that the sportswriters pick three teams. My choices:

1st team: Dudley, Thornton, Dowdell, Singletary and Hansbrough
    2nd team: Reynolds, McRoberts, Rice, Visser, Crittenton
    3rd team: Wright, Gist, Nelson, Strawberry, Costner

POY – Singletary

COY – Leitao

gw67

POY vote

There is -- and always has been -- a seperate vote for POY and first-team All-ACC.

In fact, there have been a number of times when the leading vote-getter on the All-ACC team has not been the POY -- most recently in 2004, when McCants was the top vote getter with 277 votes, but lost POY to Hodge, who only had 276 All-ACC votes. Three players tied as unanimous picks last year (JJ, Shelden and Hanstravel) ... that's happened a lot too.

BTW -- My favorite vote in this regard was in 1966 -- when UNC's Bob Lewis was the top vote-getting, followed by Jack Marin and Bob Verga of Duke. The POY award went to Duke's Steve Vacendak, who was the ninth vote getter in the All-ACC voting (the player of the year barely made second team!).

As for this year's vote, I'm also inclined to give COY to the winner of Thursday night's game -- Leitao or Greenberg. That team is either going to win the regular season title or tie UNC for it.

I'm still torn on POY between Singletary, Dudley or Thornton (if Thornton gets it, he'll be just the second player in 54 years to win POY off a losing ACC team ... Len Bias did it in 1986 for a 6-8 Maryland team).

Those three, along with Dowdell, Reynolds and Hanstravel, are the six guys I'd look at for All-ACC. I think if Virginia beats VPI and at least ties for the title, I'd strongly consider both UVa guards on the team.

As for rookie of the year, why not Brandon Costner at NC State -- he's scoring (16.1 to 14.6) and rebounding more (7.9 to 6.4) than Wright at UNC -- by a fairly wide margin. And I don't remember him choking at the end of a game the way Wright did Sunday night. He had 15 pts and 11 rebounds in State's win over Carolina.

And is it just coincidence that UNC's best game of the year (at Arizona) came when Wright was unable to play?

The last time I saw the stats Dudley led the ACC in scoring and rebounding, so it is hard not to give it to him......even though I would love to see someone else get it like Thornton or Singletary bc they show some class and don't whine and brag 24/7.

Too many votes for Leitao, imo. What's his signature win? The 2-pt squeaker against Duke at home? Greenberg has two scalps of UNC and a victory over Duke in Cameron. He's a no-brainer choice if he completes the sweep of UVA/Leitao this week.