Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Marty Pocius's PT, collector thread

Anybody else at GPSC campout yesterday notice that Pocius wasn't with the team with Coach K introduced them? I find it funny that K didn't mention that he wasn't there either. A friend told me that he saw Marty around campus recently. Anyone know if he might be red-shirting this season?

Haven't heard any rumors about that, but who knows.

Even if he were red-shirting, he'd still be with the team. I would say I wish that K would red-shirt Pocius, but I'm not sure how much it would matter. We are absolutely loaded at that position for the next couple years, even if we don't land E. Williams.

I was too drunk to notice at the time, but now that you mention it, thats true. I certainly hope Marty can contribute this year, he's shown flashes of briliance, but so far, they've been only that, flashes. . .

I hope this gets cleared up. Duke hasn't been the greatest fit for Marty, but I really like his enthusiasm.

Hocus Pocius

I was just watching the NC State ACC Tournament game the other day, and, if Marty could play with the type of aggression and poise he did that night, on a regular basis, he could be one hell of a player. He was the ONLY reason that game entered an extra period. No one else decided to show up in those final few minutes of regulation.

However, Marty will sit the bench once again. We mise well not even discuss him and his chances of playing. They are non-existent at this point. There's just too many quality guards in front of him. That, unfortunately, will be the story of his career in Durham, I am afraid to say.

The only way I see him getting quality minutes is if DeMarcus or Greg fall prey to more injuries (dear God, please let us hope not). Aside from that, I just don't see it.

"There's just too many quality guards in front of him. That, unfortunately, will be the story of his career in Durham, I am afraid to say."

Yes, because nobody ever improved or moved up the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    Hocus Pocius
    I'd like for him to become a more prominent player if only this can be added to the Cameron canon. I love this.

Yes, because nobody ever improved or moved up the depth chart.
    Well, "nobody" was never named Marty Pocius. It is very clear that Coach K is not going to add him into the regular rotation anytime soon. That is pretty much a fact at this point. Coach K has already proved in the past that he has Marty on a very, very short leash, no matter what he does out on the court, and, with Greg, Jon, Gerald, DeMarcus, and Nolan all filling time at the guard slot, there isn't much reason to believe this will change.

In my opinion, I would honestly like to see the kid transfer. Pocius has loads of potential, and, with the right team and setting--at a place where he could get the true amount of playing time a Division I player needs in order to take his game to the next level--I think he could be a 15, 16 point a night guy. Perhaps an A-10 school or somewhere in the C-USA.

At Duke, however, I don't see him getting any type of legitimate shot. Sorry.

IMO, Marty's career success is up to Marty.

Cameron, time may well prove you correct. But I find it depressing that a Duke fan would give up on a rising junior who played hurt much of his sophomore year either because the fan thinks Pocius is incapable of improving or because the fan thinks Krzyzewski is incapable of acknowledging that improvement. I could give plenty of examples to the contrary but I sense that your mind is made up on this.

Pity.

Aside from all the speculation about whether Marty could crack the playing lineup, does anyone know why he wasn't introduced? I hope that he's going to be around this year, I've always been a fan.

It's my understanding Marty's been shooting alot, is going to class, etc. So nothing, it seems, to worry about. I wish him well.

Don't get me wrong, Jim, I would love to see Marty break the rotation. I love his game (when he is playing under control) and think it could really fit well into our (hopefully) push the ball up the court, fast-break philosophy this season. Marty may not be the greatest stand still shooter or best defender, but he really can play open court basketball. IMO, it is what he excels at best.

However, with all the competition Marty is facing right now at his position, I just don't see him playing anymore than he did a year ago. Do I not think Marty is good enough to join that competition or to play to their level? Certainly not. Marty has the tools to be a very good player; he just needs to polish them a little. IMO, I think Marty's defensive liability out on the court is just too much of a risk in Coach K's eyes. Now some argue that this can't be the case, as guys like JJ Redick and Greg Paulus, early in their career's, cleary were not wizards of defense, either. However, Marty isn't a great outside shooter (unlike JJ during his woeful freshman defensive years) or our mainstay point guard (like Greg Paulus), so Marty's lack of defensive ability is still going to hurt his chances of playing significant minutes, unlike the aforementioned two.

Can Marty overcome his sometimes uncontrolled, almost hyper-kintetic play this season, and add a little defense to his arsenal as well? Hopefully. Because then there would be no excuses whatsoever as to why he is not playing.

I'm not trying to attack your opinion here, Jim, just simply giving my own. It might be wrong, but it's how I veiw the situation (for now, at least).
    Last edited by Cameron; 10-03-2007 at 02:24 PM.

I move that we establish a postseason award for most-fetishized bench player.

I just can't decide whether we should call the award the Casey or the Marty.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Don't you think it should be the Nick or the Marty?

The leaves are changing colors.

Football is on tv.

Kids are in school.

And the odes to Marty Pocius have begun.

Must be time for hoops to start
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Marty doesn't foul.

But it would have to be the "Koubek" or the "Heaps" award.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 10-03-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Edited to not insult a 7'+ guy by calling him "Mary"

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    In my opinion, I would honestly like to see the kid transfer. Pocius has loads of potential, and, with the right team and setting--at a place where he could get the true amount of playing time a Division I player needs in order to take his game to the next level--I think he could be a 15, 16 point a night guy. Perhaps an A-10 school or somewhere in the C-USA.

At Duke, however, I don't see him getting any type of legitimate shot. Sorry.
    You may be right but there are two BIG things I think you are forgetting:

#1 is what Jim said: he has been injured and we dont really know what he's capable of.

#2 (and this is selfish, but) Even if matter is way down on the depth chart this year, we will lose demarcus after this year and its certainly possible that G-Money could go to the L (I dont think he will, i'm just saying its possible) so that would make his main competition Scheyer and to a lesser extent Nolan. As a senior he would definitely see quite a bit of time within that rotation. Not to mention I would personally want him to stay around as a buffer just in case that unfortunate scenario does pan out...