Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Seth made $150k, $900k his first two years, then played his way into multi-year contracts. It proves the point that you dont have to pray for a 1st round slot.

Jalen Brunson is another. 2nd round pick, made $1+m for each of four years. He turned down an extension from the Mavs in the $50m range and got a 4-year, $104m deal from the Knicks.

These guys arent in for a rookie scale deal. They know all the money is in their second and third contracts.
    Yes but there are no guarantees. For every Seth Curry and Jalen Brunson, there are likely multiple guys languishing in the G league, hoping for their shot. So, yeah, the generational wealth money is second contracts but the "rich (or at least set) for life" money can be in the first contract for guys that get guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes but there are no guarantees. For every Seth Curry and Jalen Brunson, there are likely multiple guys languishing in the G league, hoping for their shot. So, yeah, the generational wealth money is second contracts but the "rich (or at least set) for life" money can be in the first contract for guys that get guarantees.
    We have plenty of guys who are in the G league or overseas. I just dont think you are wired to assume that is your path when you are between 18-21 years old if you are competitive by nature and can start at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I mean it is all well and good for you to think that, BigZ, but people who are close to the team have said that is not the case. No one is saying Caleb is a lock to leave but his family will consider all options when the season is over, as they probably should.
    Hmm… then there’s this tweet that Trilly supposedly leaked on his discord that Foster could transfer. Thought this tweet was so out of left and highly unlikely, but Jason’s comments have me concerned.

We are at a stage of college sports where any and all players on any team may leave at the end of the season. There's really no point in sweating it. Enjoy this ride. See who you have when next season starts and enjoy that ride.

Or as Jed Clampett said, "jump that crick when you get to it."

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    We are at a stage of college sports where any and all players on any team may leave at the end of the season. There's really no point in sweating it. Enjoy this ride. See who you have when next season starts and enjoy that ride.

"Rosterbaiting" has become its own standalone sport.
    My vision is already blurry enough thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post

For many of us, obsessing over who comes and who leaves is not so much "sweating it" as it is entertainment, a basketball version of playing chess. It's a game, moving chess pieces: take this player off the board, move this one from here to there, add this new player to the mix. And we compete to be proven correct in the end--"see, I told you Proctor would stay." It's one of many ways we pass time during the long off-season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    When's this one getting renamed to the "Who's Staying And Going" thread?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    For many of us, obsessing over who comes and who leaves is not so much "sweating it" as it is entertainment, a basketball version of playing chess. It's a game, moving chess pieces: take this player off the board, move this one from here to there, add this new player to the mix. And we compete to be proven correct in the end--"see, I told you Proctor would stay." It's one of many ways we pass time during the long off-season.
    Maybe, but it's not yet the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    When's this one getting renamed to the "Who's Staying And Going" thread?
    Ain't no thread drift like a DBR thread drift...🙄

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Ain't no thread drift like a DBR thread drift...🙄
    Better protect the bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    We all know how meticulous and detailed Jason is in his wording. The use of the phrase "as they probably should" at the end of his statement has me very, very curious. Is there something to glean here?

Or am I just making something out of nothing?
    Just that there is a difference between reporting and commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Just that there is a difference between reporting and commenting.
    Yea, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    ...It's one of many ways we pass time during the long off-season.
    Yeah it's sad when there's only the presidential election thread to keep a person warm.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yeah it's sad when there's only the presidential election thread to keep a person warm.
    That one can get a bit heated.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    That one can get a bit heated.

-jk
    Yep. Hotter than a billygoat in a pepper patch at times.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    So, bringing this back to the subject matter… is that Caleb shooting in the left corner in the background of this pic?!?!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5589603&type=3

Yes, I know he’s out for the year. But a man can dream. That guard for Houston who came back last week was also supposedly out for the year…

Addendum: on Twitter/X there are multiple pics from open practice of Caleb going through stretches with the team. He at least appears to be out of the boot and moving around. Hmm…
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by gaap View Post
    Maybe, but it's not yet the off-season.
    We should all be thankful for every moment moving forward. The off-season could start late tomorrow if we aren't at the top of our game.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    So, bringing this back to the subject matter… is that Caleb shooting in the left corner in the background of this pic?!?!

Yes, I know he’s out for the year. But a man can dream. That guard for Houston who came back last week was also supposedly out for the year…
    Per Conor O'Neil on twitter, Caleb was stretching with the team, sans boot, and then went to the bench with the other injured guys once drills started.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Per the post Scott shared above, Jeremy still sporting his new rings. (Of tape)

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...48331050664964
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

Addendum: on Twitter/X there are multiple pics from open practice of Caleb going through stretches with the team. He at least appears to be out of the boot and moving around. Hmm…
    Even if he was healthy enough to play, I'm not particularly keen on throwing him out there to the dogs. The kid has barely practiced the last few weeks, and an ankle fracture could easily get re-aggravated.

I'd want him to get in a full week of contact practice before even thinking about playing again.

Our chemistry right now is great, so no reason to change anything.