Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks, the Deadwood article is even more pathetic than I heard in 2006! Clearly, John from Cincinnati was a huge factor, and even discussed, during the same Deadwood ending conversation. HBO & Milch had, IMO, one of the greatest shows ever made and they extremely overrated and shifted to John from Cincinnati.

A good friend has made a lot of money, over the last decade, selling shows to HBO that none of us will ever see. I still don’t understand why they spend money as they still do.

British
    Midsomer Murders
    Line of Duty
    George Gently
    Broadchurch
    Periot

American TV
    Gunsmoke
    Perry Mason
    Hill Street Blues
    Dragnet

That a lot of killing

Great topic for conversation and too hard to choose a just a top 5. Of those mentioned, my biggest regret about The Americans, West Wing, BoB, The Wire, Deadwood, 24, Ozark and others is that I've already watched them and so can't start over.

My top 5 that (i) I can remember right now and (ii) have not been mentioned (per my quick scroll of the thread) (and with lots of recency bias):

First Five:

-Sons of Anarchy
    -Hell on Wheels
    -Friday Night Lights
    -Vikings (either iterant)
    -Black Sails

Next Five (with some that are a bit more light-hearted):

-Homeland
    -Warrior (new to Netflix and really really good)
    -House
    -The Practice
    -Knightfall
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    My top 5 that (i) I can remember right now and (ii) have not been mentioned (per my quick scroll of the thread) (and with lots of recency bias):

First Five:

I brought up Vikings, surprised that others haven't. That being said, "Valhalla" would not be on my list, not even close. It's good, but not "top" worthy. I'm looking forward to the third/final season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    So, I finally watched the Wire over the last month and I don’t get the hype. It’s good, but I didn’t find it close to as good as advertised.
    IMO, The Wire was as realistic as any show I’ve enjoyed. As with many shows, HBO did an awesome job with their homework.

IMO, Omar is one of the greatest characters in TV history.

I really enjoyed visiting this harsh reality without any of the costs associated with a true visit. Many are born there and it’s basically all they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, The Wire was as realistic as any show I’ve enjoyed. As with many shows, HBO did an awesome job with their homework.

I really enjoyed visiting this harsh reality without any of the costs associated with a true visit. Many are born there and it’s basically all they know.
    For those who liked The Wire, I highly recommend the John Sayles movie City of Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    For those who liked The Wire, I highly recommend the John Sayles movie City of Hope.
    Thanks!

The Wire is my favorite series. Around 11 years ago While rewatching the series in order, I was struck by how quickly the scenes changed/moved. Also the “corner kids” role in The Wire is very significant. One needs to watch at least the first 2 seasons to “get “ it. When I first started to watch, it was on at 10pm; and it was a bit too much as I needed to get up early for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Great topic for conversation and too hard to choose a just a top 5. Of those mentioned, my biggest regret about The Americans, West Wing, BoB, The Wire, Deadwood, 24, Ozark and others is that I've already watched them and so can't start over.

First Five:

-Sons of Anarchy
    -Hell on Wheels
    -Friday Night Lights
    -Black Sails

Next Five (with some that are a bit more light-hearted):

-Homeland
    -Warrior (new to Netflix and really really good)
    -House
    -The Practice
    -Knightfall
    FNL would have made my list if not for the unholy mess that was Season Two—which is more than a liitle ironic since Jesse Plemons and Adrienne Palicki have had the best post-FNL careers.

1. Breaking Bad
    2. Sopranos
    3. Succession
    4. Better Call Saul
    5. Danny Hurley on the sideline

Jeremy Strong thinks Danny is a little too intense and should chillax some.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    FNL would have made my list if not for the unholy mess that was Season Two—which is more than a liitle ironic since Jesse Plemons and Adrienne Palicki have had the best post-FNL careers.
    I’d say Connie Britton has done ok. Also like Bloodline starting Kyle Chandler. As far as a strictly acting, I’m a bigger fan of Jesse’s wife than he. Especially S2 of Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The Wire
    Justified
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    The Americans

Justified x5

... Omar is one of the greatest characters in TV history ...
    As I tell the Puggle 3-4x/week as I repel his attacks as he's trying to chew on my arm: "you come at the king, you best not miss"

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "you come at the king, you best not miss"
    Indeed!

I like limited series because there’s no jumping the shark to make an unplanned S2. But I didn’t include any in my list a few pages back because telling a story over multiple seasons and then bringing it in for a landing is hard to manage. See GOT and Seinfeld ( I didn’t mind the Seinfeld ending).
    Two that I didn’t mention, which did turn the trick, were The Good Wife and Marvelous Mrs Maisel. I loved both. TGW was a weekly network show so there were just a ton of episodes over 7 seasons. Understandably there were pointless diversions but the recurring Dickensian characters were just a blast (Elsbeth survived through The Good Fight to get her own show). I thought the ending was perfect but my wife disagreed.

I loved Midge in MMM. The lead was perfectly cast. Certainly there were plot holes but I thought the arc and ending were very good.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I loved Midge in MMM. The lead was perfectly cast. Certainly there were plot holes but I thought the arc and ending were very good.
    Especially given the unexpected cancellation. They had to wrap things up sooner than expected and did a very good job of it. The last season was a little bumpy, but the finale was perfect.