Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB Duke 84, GaTech 79

Tough one. Hope we get well soon!

Flip and Ryan coming through.

-jk

DDMF!

How lucky is GT this season against us really.

Proctor saved us.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I’m more than willing to chalk this one up as an outlier. Mark was out. Jeremy got hurt. A horrible shooting team couldn’t miss. Lots of things going against us but they figured it out.

The most important thing from this game could be Tyrese returning to form. IF Jeremy is ok. If.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

On the fence about whether or not I'd want to face Ga Tech in the ACCT. Part of me says we'd beat the doors off of them in a third game with our whole group, part of me never wants to see this team again. Glad we eked that one out. Their 3PT shooting did not regress to the mean.

Survive and advance. And get healthy.

Hell yes! Our team delivered when it was gut check time! Great way to grind out a win and great coaching by Scheyer to have Youg double the ball handler on the pick and roll out of a late time out. Led to a GT TO and Duke grabbing momentum.

That was such a great game! I don’t care that they are not very good, or that we “should” have won easily. On this night, GT was a formidable foe. They shot lights out. 11-20 on 3s. Normally you would expect to lose a game like that. Plus Mitchell was out, and Roach got injured. But we still found a way to win. The game seemed to change mid-way through the 2nd half when Blakes gave a defensive spark that flared up and spread. From that point on we showed true grit and just out-hustled GT. Very proud to be a Duke fan tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by godins View Post
    On the fence about whether or not I'd want to face Ga Tech in the ACCT. Part of me says we'd beat the doors off of them in a third game with our whole group, part of me never wants to see this team again. Glad we eked that one out. Their 3PT shooting did not regress to the mean.
    It did not regress but they did miss a critical wide open 3 that would have put them up 1 with less than 2 minutes left. That miss was HUGE and it wasn't because of good defense. The 19% 3-point shooter was 3/5 from distance before that shot.

I would not want to face GT again if given the choice. They seem to have a lot of confidence going against us and are viewed as a a very bad team by all the metrics.

But hey, I'm happy for the win. Young, Flip and Proctor showed some moxie that second half.

I said in the pregame thread that the payback beat down talk was making me nervous and that I would take a must-have win. That was before Mark and Jeremy went down. Survived a gut check. Hopefully take more confidence from grinding out another win when the shots were not falling (and GT could not miss). Now have to deal with a Pitt team out for blood. Hopefully Mark and Jeremy are back soon. Go Duke!

Torn between being really impressed with GT’s swagger and with how well-coached they seemed, while also lol at their borderline-incompetent clock management at game’s end. They really did us a favor, esp with Roach out.

No t looking forward to the defensive metrics in this one. But the offense poured it on.

Shout out to our two-headed center: 40 points, 22 rebounds, 6 assists. Pretty darn impressive.

The most important factor right now is team health (wow, I really miss the phase posts). We need Mitchell and Roach back available soonest.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by SOB13 View Post
    ... grinding out another win when the shots were not falling ...
    We did shoot 10-21 from 3 for 47%. That's pretty dang good. But FTs and 2-point shooting wasn't as stellar. But if we didn't have Flip and Proctor nail all those 3s, could have easily lost.

Don’t know when I’ve been more proud of a Duke team! What a gutsy win!! Proctor, Flip, Ryan. Wow! Hope Roach and Mitchell are OK. Might be a good thing we don’t play again until next Saturday!

Glad to get the W tonight…mid second half, I wasn’t sure it would be a win. Ryan Young earned his keep in Mitchell’s absence. Fortuitous time for Proctor to regain form. Flip needs to dunk the ball more..I think that would be a better shot for him than those light touch bank shots down low. Even if the defense doesn’t get an actual block, they still are able to alter his release.

Roach Injury

The broadcast was on mute while we host some family, so I didn't catch any discussion about Roach's injury. It looked like a knee tweak, seemed like a cramp though? I saw Roach was back in, then out with a quick hook. The Young-Flip-Mccain-Foster-Proctor group built the 7 point lead, which evaporated as soon as Roach came back in – was the hook about matchups, was it discussed?

The broadcast was on mute while we host some family, so I didn't catch any discussion about Roach's injury. It looked like a knee tweak, seemed like a cramp though? I saw Roach was back in, then out with a quick hook. The Young-Flip-Mccain-Foster-Proctor group built the 7 point lead, which evaporated as soon as Roach came back in – was the hook about matchups, was it discussed?
    It wasn't about matchups - the knee injury forced Jeremy back out of the game. Hopefully it's just a hyperextension or cramp that doesn't keep him out long.

Roach came back out because he couldn’t go. It wasn’t matchups.
    Bob Green