Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Preseason football rankings

ESPN has its first edition of the ACC football power rankings up, and our Devils are at #7. VA Tech at #4 is a head-scratcher to me...they've been trending downward for several seasons now, and that seems to be based on some expectation that they'll somehow revert to their previous mean of above-average performance. I'm not sure Beamer has that in him anymore. NC State right ahead of us at #6 is also a little weird; even the ESPN writer admits that that ranking is based entirely on potential, rather than proven performance. As for Duke, the blurb says pretty much what everyone's been saying...lots of promise on O, with some questions up front on D.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...power-rankings

Two of the eight opponents on the schedule are ranked higher than Duke and six are ranked lower. I'll take 6-2.

Higher: Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech
    Lower: Miami, Pittsburgh, North Carolina, Boston College, Virginia, Wake Forest
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    ESPN has its first edition of the ACC football power rankings up, and our Devils are at #7. VA Tech at #4 is a head-scratcher to me...they've been trending downward for several seasons now, and that seems to be based on some expectation that they'll somehow revert to their previous mean of above-average performance. I'm not sure Beamer has that in him anymore. NC State right ahead of us at #6 is also a little weird; even the ESPN writer admits that that ranking is based entirely on potential, rather than proven performance. As for Duke, the blurb says pretty much what everyone's been saying...lots of promise on O, with some questions up front on D.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...power-rankings
    You are not wrong about the Virginia Tech trend lines.

After going 11-3 (7-1 ACC) in 2011 -- Tech's eighth straight season with at least 10 wins -- they've gone 7-6 (4-4), 8-5 (5-3) and 7-6 (3-5). It's worth noting that if Ross Martin had hit his field goal to beat the Hokies in Wade Stadium last season, they would have finished the regular season at 5-7 (2-6).

But ... remember, this is a team that beat Ohio State in Columbus last year before the Hokies were devastated by injuries. They have eight starters back off last season's great defense (14th nationally in scoring defense). That doesn't count potential All-American DT Luther Maddy, hurt last year, or potential All-ACC CB Brandon Facyson, who missed the entire season with an injury.

I think they have the potential for a GREAT defense.

Offense is another question ... But they have eight starters back and remember that almost all their best skill players last year were freshmen -- TE Bucky Hodges, WR Isaiah Ford, WR Cam Phillips and TB Marshawn Williams. They'll be better as sophs. JC Coleman, who emerged late at TB and 2014 preseason starter Trey Edmonds is also in the TB mix.

Obviously the key is QB Michael Brewer, a transfer from Texas Tech. He had his ups and downs last season, but it's fair to think he's going to be better this season.

I actually like Virginia Tech to win the Coastal Division -- unlike Georgia Tech, which gets FSU and Clemson from the Atlantic, the Hokies get Boston College and NC State.

I can justify NC State ahead of us too -- they finished strong last year (remember, the week after we lost to UNC at home, the Pack hammered the Heels, 35-7), have a great QB returning in Brissett and added two of the nation's best skill guys in TB Frazier and Slot Hines (two guys we tried very hard to recruit).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I can justify NC State ahead of us too -- they finished strong last year (remember, the week after we lost to UNC at home, the Pack hammered the Heels, 35-7), have a great QB returning in Brissett and added two of the nation's best skill guys in TB Frazier and Slot Hines (two guys we tried very hard to recruit).
    Hey, OF, have you had your coffee? NC State is not in the Coastal Division. or maybe you were making a more existential point?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hey, OF, have you had your coffee? NC State is not in the Coastal Division. or maybe you were making a more existential point?
    Sage,

Read the original post -- the linked espn article ranks the ACC 1-through-14 without regard to divisions. Wilson (the original poster) expressed surprise that No. 6 NC State would be ranked one spot higher in the ACC pecking order than No. 7 Duke.

That's what I was responding to. I like Bob's point that Duke ranked higher than six of the eight ACC teams on our schedule. I'd take 6-2 in the ACC today.

And now, the Worldwide Leader follows up with a nice in-depth team preview:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...ke-blue-devils

My favorite part comes from the "Worst-case scenario" section, where the article says, "Six wins and a fourth straight bowl game are probably the low-end estimate for this team." That a minor bowl game is now considered the worst-case scenario for this program still really boggles my mind.

With all the hype surrounding T.J. Rahming, it is interesting ESPN picked Aaron Young as the freshman to keep an eye on:

Class of 2015 signee to watch: The wide receiver position is one to watch, and Aaron Young is the pick. Not only does Young have college-ready size, but he comes from a passing offense in high school out of California with an advanced understanding of route running and how to use his body as an advantage.
    Young is listed as 6'2" 200 on the roster at GoDuke.com.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sage,

Read the original post -- the linked espn article ranks the ACC 1-through-14 without regard to divisions. Wilson (the original poster) expressed surprise that No. 6 NC State would be ranked one spot higher in the ACC pecking order than No. 7 Duke.

That's what I was responding to. I like Bob's point that Duke ranked higher than six of the eight ACC teams on our schedule. I'd take 6-2 in the ACC today.
    You mean, I am supposed to do the required reading? Why should I make an exception for DBR?

Kindly,
    Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Four star freshman LB Ben Humphreys is turning heads in camp...looks like we're likely to see him on the field this year as a true frosh.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Four star freshman LB Ben Humphreys is turning heads in camp...looks like we're likely to see him on the field this year as a true frosh.
    I'm assuming he's practicing exclusively at LB for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    I guess so given Cash's presence. I still see Cash's spot, FWIW, as pretty much a quasi linebacker position regardless of what they call it anyway...

I guess so given Cash's presence. I still see Cash's spot, FWIW, as pretty much a quasi linebacker position regardless of what they call it anyway...
    I tend to agree with you. He may have a little more LB in him than Cash, but I view Cash as a 3rd LB with unique pass/run coverage responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    From this morning's Raleigh News and Observer:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...e30633633.html

Braxton Deaver's quote:

“Benjamin Humphreys has shined like I’ve never seen a freshman linebacker shine,” he said. “He has a lot of natural instincts. He reminds a lot of Kelby Brown. It’s interesting to watch a freshman come in and not shy away from contact the way he has. Usually a lot of kids do. He plays low, and the more experience that kid gets, the better he will be. You’re probably going to see him on the field.”

I like his mention of Kelby Brown. Can't wait to see this young'un play.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Another quote from Deaver about the Tennessee TE transfer Daniel Helm who we won't see playing this year:

“He is maybe the nicest kid you will ever meet off the field, but that kid puts a helmet on and he will power bomb your mother,” Deaver said. “He is a nasty player. In the spring, he jumped 36 inches with his vertical. The sky is the limit. He is an unbelievable athlete.”

"Power bomb you mother?" Maybe we need to make him a DE next year.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Another quote from Deaver about the Tennessee TE transfer Daniel Helm who we won't see playing this year:

He is maybe the nicest kid you will ever meet off the field, but that kid puts a helmet on and he will power bomb your mother,” Deaver said. “He is a nasty player. In the spring, he jumped 36 inches with his vertical. The sky is the limit. He is an unbelievable athlete.”

Thanks for that, I'm cleaning the coffee off of my monitor after reading that one...HILARIOUS quote! Maybe it should come with a warning next time?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

“He is maybe the nicest kid you will ever meet off the field, but that kid puts a helmet on and he will power bomb your mother,” Deaver said. “He is a nasty player. In the spring, he jumped 36 inches with his vertical. The sky is the limit. He is an unbelievable athlete.”

The quote jibes with Jeremy Cash's earlier quote that Helm is "by far" the best TE on the roster.

I wouldn't move him -- next year when Deaver and Reeves are gone, we'll need a player like him at TE. We do add four-star TE Mark Birmingham, but I'd hate to ask a true freshman to be our best TE.

The quote jibes with Jeremy Cash's earlier quote that Helm is "by far" the best TE on the roster.

I wouldn't move him -- next year when Deaver and Reeves are gone, we'll need a player like him at TE. We do add four-star TE Mark Birmingham, but I'd hate to ask a true freshman to be our best TE.
    Oh, I wouldn't move him either, that's why I added the winky guy. After all our discussions here about the DL being a "weakness" and the "power bombing his/your mother" comment, I thought (not seriously) what a MOFO he might be and where (else) we could use a monster on the squad.

ESPN just posted an article with two of its writers arguing about the best special teams units in the ACC:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...ams-in-the-acc

One guy argues that it's Duke, the other suggests FSU.

I always took Strike Safety to mean Linebacker, without sacrificing draft stock stuff. People go crazy over positions. Apparently Duke doesn't succumb to that in either of the big 2 sports. Hey K!
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

ESPN just posted an article with two of its writers arguing about the best special teams units in the ACC:

One guy argues that it's Duke, the other suggests FSU.
    Duke is a punt returner away from being special on special teams. Will Monday, Ross Martin, Thomas Hennessy and DeVon Edwards are all very talented and experienced. Who replaces Jamison Crowder is the lone question.
    Bob Green