Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    With all due respect, I believe this is completely wrong. (and I completely agree, Santucci did a great job for us). Diaz is a defensive coach (e.g. at Penn State) and he wants to run his kind of defense...which differs from the Elko style defense Santucci ran at Duke. If I had to guess, I would be that Duke is paying more now for assistants than GT does...Nina knows what has to be done, we're no longer trying to slide by on the cheap.
    From what has been reported Santucci is the CO-defensive coordinator, not the sole defensive coordinator.

While some on here did not care for Kevin Johns, he seemed to be a competent OC. Has he been hired anywhere? Elko not only deserted Duke, he deserted most of his staff who made him successful. I have empathy for all those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    From what has been reported Santucci is the CO-defensive coordinator, not the sole defensive coordinator.

While some on here did not care for Kevin Johns, he seemed to be a competent OC. Has he been hired anywhere? Elko not only deserted Duke, he deserted most of his staff who made him successful. I have empathy for all those guys.
    I think Johns (who I agree is good) may still be under contract with Duke since Pantful got some of his assistants two year deals I have read. I think he will do just fine, seems like everyone else has found a home as good assistants generally do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Elko not only deserted Duke, he deserted most of his staff who made him successful. I have empathy for all those guys.
    I knew that Elko took former assistants Adam Cushing and Ishmael Aristide with him early on. And then later, unfortunately, Trooper Taylor. But I did not realize until recently that he had also taken Patrick Dougherty, special teams/tight ends coach, from Duke.

https://www.si.com/college/tamu/foot...ke-blue-devils

Quote Originally Posted by korshmar View Post
    I would be interested in learning the full story concerning Santucci. He seemed to do a great job with the defense. He was an Elko guy. Yet Elko went with someone else as his DC at A & M. We don’t know if Elko offered him anything. Then, despite the success of Duke’s defense under Santucci, Diaz went with someone else, someone he had previously worked with. Again, we don’t know if Diaz offered him anything. But my initial reaction was that Diaz should have tried to keep him because of the success.

I think Georgia Tech made a great hire. Of course you have to have the players, but I predict Tech defense will be great next year. Sorry to see this guy go.
    I think he did a good job overall this year but there was a noticeable drop off in the second half of the regular season. We looked totally unprepared in the first half of the Louisville game, gave up 400+ yards to both Wake and UVA and allowed too many chunk plays against Carolina on a night went Drake Maye wasn’t at his best. Solid bend but don’t break efforts against Pitt and Troy to end the year but still not playing at the same level as early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I think he did a good job overall this year but there was a noticeable drop off in the second half of the regular season. We looked totally unprepared in the first half of the Louisville game, gave up 400+ yards to both Wake and UVA and allowed too many chunk plays against Carolina on a night went Drake Maye wasn’t at his best. Solid bend but don’t break efforts against Pitt and Troy to end the year but still not playing at the same level as early in the season.
    I think injuries played a major role in our drop off on both sides of the ball...the OL was riddled with injuries from the middle of the season on, the defense also had major problems...we just didn't have the depth to deal with that.

I think injuries played a major role in our drop off on both sides of the ball...the OL was riddled with injuries from the middle of the season on, the defense also had major problems...we just didn't have the depth to deal with that.
    You are certainly right about that. However, I was at the Virginia game and we looked totally unprepared on defense. I have no ideas why that game was such an anomaly.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Injuries were an issue, to be sure, although not to the extent they were with the offense (line especially) IMHO. I think there were some clear issyes with preparation and scheme. We seemed totally flummoxed by Wake’s slow evolving RPOs and made UVA’s highly erratic freshman QB look like a world beater. And Louisville was running through us like a hot knife through butter in the first half, with first contact rarely within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    After Riley Leonard got hurt, the O had a lot of problems of course, but ball control was one of them. I think the D got worn out later in the season partially as a result of possession time and so on. It's mentally, physically and psychologically easier to play D when your O is rolling.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    DFB sent out the following in an email this morning.

Dear Blue Devils Fans,
    Fresh off another bowl victory, Duke Football and new Head Coach Manny Diaz are excited to announce that season tickets (new and renewals) are one sale now for the 2024 campaign. Season tickets start at just $145, averaging less than $25/game, making it the best deal in the triangle to catch ACC football. This years schedule will include six total home games against North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia Tech, SMU, Elon and UConn. While the full schedule with dates won't be released until later this month, Duke fans can get a head start and lock in your season tickets for this fall.
    Fans that place your order today will be eligible for one of four special prizes which will be awarded to the 50th, 100th, 150th and 200th account to purchase tickets throughout the day (1/16/24). Winners will be posted on @DukeFootball social media and contacted directly by the Duke Athletics Department.
    Tickets can be purchased online at GoDuke.com/Footballtix or by calling the Duke Athletics Ticket Office at (919) 681-2583. Good luck and we can't wait to see you at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium this fall.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I’m ready for a tailgate already!

(Okay, maybe not this week. But still)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m ready for a tailgate already!

(Okay, maybe not this week. But still)
    I'm crossing fingers they let us set up for the Spring Game again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    DFB sent out the following in an email this morning.

Dear Blue Devils Fans,
    Fresh off another bowl victory, Duke Football and new Head Coach Manny Diaz are excited to announce that season tickets (new and renewals) are one sale now for the 2024 campaign. Season tickets start at just $145, averaging less than $25/game, making it the best deal in the triangle to catch ACC football. This years schedule will include six total home games against North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia Tech, SMU, Elon and UConn. While the full schedule with dates won't be released until later this month, Duke fans can get a head start and lock in your season tickets for this fall.
    Fans that place your order today will be eligible for one of four special prizes which will be awarded to the 50th, 100th, 150th and 200th account to purchase tickets throughout the day (1/16/24). Winners will be posted on @DukeFootball social media and contacted directly by the Duke Athletics Department.
    Tickets can be purchased online at GoDuke.com/Footballtix or by calling the Duke Athletics Ticket Office at (919) 681-2583. Good luck and we can't wait to see you at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium this fall.
    They are also running a special deal for Durham residents. The website says "All Durham residents and former football players please call 919-668-9235 for an exclusive offer." Per @DukeFBTalk on twitter, the deal allows Durham residents to get 4 season tickets for $277. That's $11.50/person for each game. That is simply a pittance for major college football.

Season ticket holders last year got to see 6 wins, a field storming top 10 upset, a rivalry win in our first home game against NC State since 2013, another in-state rivalry win on a walk-off field goal over Wake, and Duke's first ever time hosting College Gameday. I know a lot of folks on this board came out for the ND game but aren't necessarily season ticket holders. Well, the tickets are affordable, we've got plenty of room in the stadium, and this program is on the rise. What are you waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    They are also running a special deal for Durham residents. The website says "All Durham residents and former football players please call 919-668-9235 for an exclusive offer." Per @DukeFBTalk on twitter, the deal allows Durham residents to get 4 season tickets for $277. That's $11.50/person for each game. That is simply a pittance for major college football.

Season ticket holders last year got to see 6 wins, a field storming top 10 upset, a rivalry win in our first home game against NC State since 2013, another in-state rivalry win on a walk-off field goal over Wake, and Duke's first ever time hosting College Gameday. I know a lot of folks on this board came out for the ND game but aren't necessarily season ticket holders. Well, the tickets are affordable, we've got plenty of room in the stadium, and this program is on the rise. What are you waiting for?
    It would be fantastic if they would broaden the reach of this to try to capture more of the Triangle. I'm 35 minutes from campus and the first 15 are within Wake County. That means that there are Wake County residents who could be on campus in 20 minutes but who aren't being targeted as locals. Given the attendance struggles, it just doesn't make sense to me to be quite so Durham-centric.

Duke’s basketball record since Diaz became football coach: 8-0

Duke’s football record since Scheyer became basketball coach: 17-9, with 7 of the losses by one score or less.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Duke’s basketball record since Diaz became football coach: 8-0

Duke’s football record since Scheyer became basketball coach: 17-9, with 7 of the losses by one score or less.
    BOOM.
    Well done. Sporks given.

The ACC has accelerated its schedule reveal.

Monday we'll find out that Duke starts the season hosting Elon. 4PM
    Tuesday we'll find out the 1-2 non-Saturday games for Duke. 4PM
    Wednesday we'll find out the rest. 5-7PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The ACC has accelerated its schedule reveal.

Monday we'll find out that Duke starts the season hosting Elon. 4PM
    Tuesday we'll find out the 1-2 non-Saturday games for Duke. 4PM
    Wednesday we'll find out the rest. 5-7PM.
    Thanks, Nostradamus.

Non conference games are already known: https://fbschedules.com/2024-duke-football-schedule/

I think the Monday announcement will cover ACC games happening on the 8/31 weekend.
    There should be one ACC game that week between BC and FSU.

One odd thing i am sort of guessing might happen is for Syracuse and SMU to play a "non conf" game against each other as they appear to be one noncon game short.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I think the Monday announcement will cover ACC games happening on the 8/31 weekend. There should be one ACC game that week between BC and FSU.
    FSU is playing GT in Ireland the week before. I expect both to play Bye Week in week 1 despite what is published. The ACC is going to reschedule some of those week 1 openers to get some decent games on ACCN, but I don't think Duke is a candidate this year.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    FSU is playing GT in Ireland the week before. I expect both to play Bye Week in week 1 despite what is published. The ACC is going to reschedule some of those week 1 openers to get some decent games on ACCN, but I don't think Duke is a candidate this year.
    FSU has no OOC games on week 1 or 2, so they're open for week 1.
    BC is the only other team with no OOC game in week 1.

To create another conference game week 1, they would have to get two non ACC schools to agree to reschedule, which I don't see coming. That kind of thing at a late date costs $$$.
    Other than the FSU/BC matchup maybe being announced, the other thing they can announce about week 1 is the schedule and channel lineup.
    There are enough home games for them to have some games for ACCN.