Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's number one in college football?

Arkansas beats LSU in overtime. (How are you doing ArkieDukie?)

Does this mean the Border War (Kansas/Mizzou) becomes a battle for number one?

What a crazy year!

Who is number one?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Does this mean the Border War (Kansas/Mizzou) becomes a battle for number one?

What a crazy year!

Who is number one?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    While Big XII fans wish this was the case, I doubt Missouri leapfrogs WVU when they beat Kansas (yes, I said when, not if). Of course, if WVU manages to drop its game, then you're looking at Missouri #1, OSU #2.

I will say, Kansas has as good an argument as OSU for the #2 spot - its 1 loss (to Missouri on a neutral field) is a "better" loss than OSU's (to Illinois at home), and their non-con schedules are actually comparable. But it'll never actually happen in real life - KU would be dropped at least to 5, if not lower.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Duke!

(Sorry--for the past few seasons I've been convincing myself it's 1938. I'm grateful that President Roosevelt got me the WPA job and put a chicken in my pot but worried about that Hitler fella.)

Quote Originally Posted by BluBones View Post
    Duke!
    Blu, you beat me to it! I was going to say Duke!

GO DUKE! BEAT carolina!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

It just doesn't matter any more, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It just doesn't matter any more, does it?
    You got that right!

No. 1

The way the BCS is set up, it matters a lot who is in the top two ... not so much who is No. 1. So it doesn't really matter if Missouri beats Kansas and leapfrogs West Virginia or not -- if West Virginia wins out, they will unquestionably be in the national title game. That's all that matters at this point.

Right now, one of three no loss/one loss teams is due to get screwed:

(1) West Virginia is assured of a place in the title game if the Mountaineers beat UConn today (likely), then take care of business next week against Pitt (a very weak opponent, but a rivalry game).
    (2) The Missouri-Kansas winner still has to win the Big 12 title game, probably against a very good Oklahoma team (although Texas and Oklahoma State still have an outside shot). But do that and they are in.
    (3) Ohio State is done with an 11-1 record. The Buckeyes have to hope that either West Virginia loses one of its last two or the Missouri-Kansas loser loses the Big 12 title game. If one of those two things happens, then OSU moves into the title game.

BUT WHAT IF BOTH THINGS HAPPEN? What if West Virginia loses one of its final two games AND the Missouri-Kansas winner loses to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game?

I honestly don't know who Ohio State would get to play in the national title game in that scenario. That's the only situation that gives us a two-loss team. Or maybe not -- what if Kansas loses a great game to Missouri, then Missouri and WVU both lose next week? Could a one-loss Kansas suddenly back into the title game? What about fast-closing Georgia? Could Virginia Tech get back in the picture with impressive wins over Virginia and BC in the ACC title game? Could Southern Cal come back into play? Heck, the commentators love LSU ... so what if they lost two (and won three more in the final seconds)?

All I know is that would be a mess ... which would be kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    BUT WHAT IF BOTH THINGS HAPPEN? What if West Virginia loses one of its final two games AND the Missouri-Kansas winner loses to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game?

I honestly don't know who Ohio State would get to play in the national title game in that scenario. That's the only situation that gives us a two-loss team. Or maybe not -- what if Kansas loses a great game to Missouri, then Missouri and WVU both lose next week? Could a one-loss Kansas suddenly back into the title game? What about fast-closing Georgia? Could Virginia Tech get back in the picture with impressive wins over Virginia and BC in the ACC title game? Could Southern Cal come back into play? Heck, the commentators love LSU ... so what if they lost two (and won three more in the final seconds)?

All I know is that would be a mess ... which would be kind of fun.
    I've been saying it for two weeks! UGA still has a shot to get to the championship. Granted, today is the day where it could all fall apart, I think the title game will be West Virginia/Ohio State. But, things have worked out so far with AZ State and Oklahoma losing. Continuing to keep hope alive!

My other question would be...who wins the Heisman? I say just mail it to Darren McFadden. No need to even go to NYC to decide it.

Give the liitle guy a shot or create a playoff system

If Hawaii beats Washington next, give them a shot! Also, should their QB be considered for Heisman?

West Virginia and the winner of tonight's KU/Mizzou game control their own destiny. Win out and you play for the national title. The Mountaineers have a pretty light schedule left and should be in New Orleans. Living in B12 country, I've seen quite a bit of both Kansas and Missouri and both are very good football teams, although I'm not sure either would or should be favored over WVU or Ohio State, or even Oklahoma.

Missouri's defense is pretty bad, and although Kansas is better on that side of the ball, they won't win any games on the strength of their D. That, in my opinion, seperates them from the other "contenders". My guess? Missouri wins tonight and then loses next week to the Sooners.

To respond to a previous poster asking about 1-loss Kansas vs. 1-loss Ohio State, I don't think there's much of a question who should go to the title game between the two. You said their OOC schedules were similar, but the Buckeyes played a BCS conference team (@Washington) while Kansas played none (Central Michigan, Southeastern Louisiana, Toledo, Fla. Intl., all at home). Further, even if the Kansas loss (potentially Missouri) is better than OSU's (Illinois), that's only half the equation. Ohio State has better wins than Kansas if we assume the Jayhawks lose tonight. Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan are all better than KU's best wins (KSU and Okie State). So, it comes down to what's more important: quality of wins or quality of loss? I go with the former.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    While Big XII fans wish this was the case, I doubt Missouri leapfrogs WVU when they beat Kansas (yes, I said when, not if).
    Do you mean "when" in the sense of "when Nevada beats Hawaii" or in the sense of "when Boise State beats Hawaii" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Do you mean "when" in the sense of "when Nevada beats Hawaii" or in the sense of "when Boise State beats Hawaii" ?
    I'd say I meant it in the sense of when Missouri beats Kansas.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'd say I meant it in the sense of when Missouri beats Kansas.
    not Duke.(sorry, Ozzie)

Looks like WVU now, with Mizzou at #2.

Missouri beat Kansas but...

Oklahoma will beat Mizzou in the Big 12 title game leaving OSU and WVU to fight it out in the championship game. OSU has not yet demonstrated that it can defend the spread offense getting hammered by Florida last year and run over by Illionois this year. But something tells me that Jim Tressel won't let 2 national championships slip by in consecutive years and the defense is rock solid in spite of the showing against Illinois.

In this season, where no one is really good, I think an undefeated Hawaii team has to be given a shot to play for the title.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    In this season, where no one is really good, I think an undefeated Hawaii team has to be given a shot to play for the title.
    Especially one year after a what might have been team from Boise that put up such a performance against Oklahoma. They deserve a shot.

How 'bout them Hawgs!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Doing pretty well, thanks for asking! I watched the game at my parents' house, with siblings and in-laws. We were all jumping up and down like crazy at the end. It was an especially gratifying win, considering that the refs were doing all that they could in the first half to help LSU. (VERY generous spots to give LSU a first down on 2 separate occasions, for example.) Darren McFadden for the Heisman!

LSU has been played closely in their last couple of games and came back to win at the end. Our coaches (esp. OC David Lee) took advantage of some weaknesses that were revealed in those games.

As for the who's #1 question, I don't know, but it's not LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Doing pretty well, thanks for asking! I watched the game at my parents' house, with siblings and in-laws. We were all jumping up and down like crazy at the end. It was an especially gratifying win, considering that the refs were doing all that they could in the first half to help LSU. (VERY generous spots to give LSU a first down on 2 separate occasions, for example.) Darren McFadden for the Heisman!

LSU has been played closely in their last couple of games and came back to win at the end. Our coaches (esp. OC David Lee) took advantage of some weaknesses that were revealed in those games.

As for the who's #1 question, I don't know, but it's not LSU.
    I would just like to say. Thank you, Arkansas!
    ~rthomas

AP has Mizzou 1 and WVU 2; coaches vice versa. BCS poll comes out later this afternoon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3127118

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

New BCS is out. The Tigers and Mountaineers control their destiny. KU didn;'t drop that much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine