Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    But just to add to the discussion, I thought the foul that bloodied Singler was particularly egregious. I didn't get a good look from the replay but it seemed to me the Wisconsin player basically just took a shot at Kyle's head and didn't get close to the ball. The fact that Singler crashed to floor and rose up covered in blood reminded me of the Henderson smashup of TH that everyone made such a big deal of in last year's UNC game.

No one seemed to think anything of this one though. Maybe it wasn't that bad in "real life" but the end result was pretty severe for Singler.
    I keep commenting, only b/c I had a good view of all of these incidents, but I didn't think this one was that bad. The results was bad, yes, but it was a clean, hard foul. I thought the T and the flagrant were much worse (and called accordingly).

The officials weren't any worse than they always are IMO. It was even, which is all you can really ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    I don't think so. They have lots of height, but Butch is far from a bruiser and Leuer looks like he weights about as much as me, despite being 7 feet tall. Stiemsma is about as blue-collar as it gets for them, and even he is not exactly beefy.
    Well, your mileage may vary of course, but I'm talking about an entire league over the last 15-20 years. Pointing out that Wisconsin has one skinny kid doesn't strike me as a tremendously convincing counter-argument. Just looking at the size of Wisconsin vs. the size of the Duke players and noticing the plodding, bang-em-up-in-the-middle approach of Wisconsin would lend credence to the "beefy" style I'm referring to. And I do think that Butch really does look like a bruiser compared to any and all Duke players. Is there any Duke player that has his size or bulk? Seems to me just about every Big 10 team in the last dozen years has had players like him. But again, just my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    I keep commenting, only b/c I had a good view of all of these incidents, but I didn't think this one was that bad. The results was bad, yes, but it was a clean, hard foul. I thought the T and the flagrant were much worse (and called accordingly).

The officials weren't any worse than they always are IMO. It was even, which is all you can really ask for.
    Thanks for the courtside report and info. I agree the officiating seemed even. There were questionable calls on both sides, but I wouldn't complain about the officiating overall.

I agree the officiating seemed even.
    I've seen this terminology used several times in this thread, and I'm still not exactly sure what it's supposed to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I've seen this terminology used several times in this thread, and I'm still not exactly sure what it's supposed to mean.
    Well, it could mean several things depending on the context. Someone might be referring to the fact that there were an equal number of fouls called on each team. In my case I was referring to the "fact" that in my opinion there were a number of questionable calls made on each team. I didn't notice that either team bore the brunt of bad calls or numbers of calls, IOW "even."

Well, it could mean several things depending on the context. Someone might be referring to the fact that there were an equal number of fouls called on each team. In my case I was referring to the "fact" that in my opinion there were a number of questionable calls made on each team. I didn't notice that either team bore the brunt of bad calls or numbers of calls, IOW "even."
    I see. I understand the second one. As for the first, I've never been able to figure out why in the world people think the number of fouls should be even for each team.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I see. I understand the second one. As for the first, I've never been able to figure out why in the world people think the number of fouls should be even for each team.
    I agree completely. But we've all seen how some fans react when their team gets hit with significantly more fouls than Duke. There are reasons for that but that doesn't assuage the angry fans, who find it easier to blame supposedly biased or intimidated refs for their team's loss to Duke.